BILLERICAY Town saw off a resilient Burnham to win 4-1 and advance into the third qualifying round of the FA Cup.

Town were strong favourites against the side from the Hellenic League Division One East and it promised to be a long afternoon when the first goal went in after 90 seconds.

Connor Hunte scored his first goal for the club having cut inside and struck low under the dive of goalkeeper Sam Bunting.

But less than two minutes later it was all square. The side playing four divisions below Town worked the ball to the left hand side and Lucas Sinclair was allowed to cut inside and bend delightfully beyond Louis Wells.

The game was being played at a frenetic pace and the third goal of the game arrived before the 10 minute mark.

Strong wing play by Alfie Potter saw his beat two defenders and cross for Moses Emmanuel to net on his first start for Town.

Bunting may have expected a busy afternoon and it was proving to be so. A smart stop from Emmanuel was preceded by a superb reaction save to deny Ricky Modeste.

The second half was a much tighter affair. Emmanuel missed a golden chance to score a second while Bunting was forced to tip aside a Callum Kennedy free-kick but Burnham remained in the tie.

But with 17 minutes remaining Town extended their lead. Good work down the right flank by substitute Jake Robinson ended with Emmanuel flicking into the goal from close range.

Dan Fosu hit the crossbar for Burnham in the closing stages and there was late action to come.

Ashleigh James was sent off for Burnham before Sam Deering scored a fourth to complete a good afternoon’s work.

Concord Rangers 2-0 Margate 

Concord Rangers needed to be patient to book their place in the next round, seeing off Margate 2-0 at the Aspect Arena.


On target - Jack Midson

The Beach Boys were hoping to escape their league troubles in the FA Cup and were the better team in the first 10 minutes – with Billy Knott and Danny Green posing a threat.

Jack Midson headed wide as the home pressure continued but the hosts were not forcing Margate stopper Henry Newcombe – formerly of Canvey – into a meaningful save.

Knott and Sam Blackman shot off target after half-time before the Beach Boys finally forged ahead.

A close range finish from Midson on the hour put Concord into the lead, following good play by Alex Wall and Green in the build-up.

Adam Topley added a second with a header as the match drew to a close.

East Thurrock United 2-3 Whitehawk

It was a case of deja-vu for East Thurrock United as they were beaten 3-2 by Whitehawk at this stage of the competition for the second time in three seasons.


Seen off - East Thurrock United 

Rocks handed a debut to striker Shaun Batt but it was strike partner Sam Higgins that had the first chance of the match.

The usually prolific forward scuffed his shot when well placed and Whitehawk responded strongly.

On 13 minutes the visitors took the lead. Tommy Fraser crossed for former Southend United striker Jason Williams and he made no mistake.

A Fraser effort was deflected wide as the away team continued to control the tie.

Harry Shooman headed narrowly off target before the equaliser against the run of play.

Ten minutes before half-time Roman Michael-Percil broke through and struck an equaliser.

Frustrated, Whitehawk kept playing at a high tempo and were the width of the woodwork from moving back in front.

Lucas Rodrigues blasted against the crossbar and Rocks were to take advantage after 62 minutes. A defensive slip saw Freddy Moncur take advantage and strike home his first for the club.

Five minutes later the Hawks levelled matters. Henry Muggeridge was found by Rodrigues and he slammed the ball home.

Rocks were rattled and conceded a third 12 minutes before the end. Williams crashed brilliantly beyond Jack Giddens.

Bowers & Pitsea 1-6 Hemel Hempstead Town

Bowers & Pitsea were hit for six as former Billericay Town winger Sanchez Watt claimed a hat-trick in Hemel Hempstead Town’s comfortable win at the Len Salmon Stadium.


Well beaten - Bowers chief Rob Small

While Watt notched a trio of goals, Phil Roberts, Karl Oliyide and ex-Concord Rangers captain Steve Cawley were also on target in the 6-1 thumping.

The first opening fell to Lewis Manor, but Bowers’ all-time leading goalscorer headed Quentin Monville’s cross inches over the crossbar inside seven minutes.

However, Hemel hit back and took the lead two minutes later. Watt’s quick turn saw him through on goal and he slotted beyond home goalkeeper Andrew Wilton via the post.

Cawley then headed wide of the target as the National League South visitors looked to stamp their authority.

The Tudors doubled their advantage on the half hour mark with Roberts’ strike curling into the top corner of the net.

Visiting goalkeeper Laurie Walker maintained Hemel’s two-goal lead when he made a fine save to deny Manor, who should have headed home from six yards out.

Hemel extended their lead seven minutes before the break as Watt fired home from close range after some fine wing play from Spencer McCall.

The away side grabbed their fourth goal of the afternoon as Oliyide slotted home less than two minutes after the break.

Oliyide should have doubled his tally moments later, but the substitute sent his effort wide when well placed.

A rash challenge from Monville resulted in referee David Spain pointing to the spot and Cawley converted the resulting spot-kick.

Wilton diverted an Oliyide strike onto the post, but Watt completed his hat-trick moments later.

While David Knight grabbed a consolation from the penalty spot, Bowers were well beaten at the Len Salmon Stadium.

Wealdstone 2-0 Great Wakering Rovers

Great Wakering Rovers are out of the competition despite a valiant display at Wealdstone.

Wakering played superbly in the first half to keep the National League South side at bay.

The away side struck the post and Wealdstone needed Jonathan North to pull out a smart save to keep it goalless.

Wealdstone were awarded a penalty midway through the half but away stopper Coey Turipa guessed correctly to preserve Wakering’s clean sheet.

But the goal was the come.

Shortly after the hour mark Fumnaya Shomotun blasted home to hand the Stones the advantage.

And Connor Stevens made sure of the result with a second in the final 10 minutes.