BILLERICAY Town extended their lead at the top of the National League South after holding off a Gloucester City side who deserved more from the encounter.

Moses Emmanuel continued his hot streak to score the only goal of the encounter.

Town were strong favourites for the clash and started the brighter of the two teams against a Gloucester team who had only appointed a new manager days earlier.

The first chance fell to Sam Deering only for the midfielder to shank his effort wide of the post and an even better chance arrived moments later.

A left-wing cross from Jake Howells found Jake Robinson and although his brilliantly judged header found the net the effort was ruled out for offside.

A bullet header from the same man was pushed aside by Gloucester goalkeeper Andy Hannah with the game 10 minutes old before the away side found their feet.

Gloucester had several half chances albeit without testing Alan Julian as Town struggled to match the tempo they had set early in the encounter.

Chris Knowles sent a bullet header over from a corner seven minutes before half-time only for Town to strike first.

On 40 minutes, Emmanuel smashed home from close range after Robinson’s effort had been well saved by Hannah.

There was still time for Joe Parker to lob onto the top of the net as Gloucester ended the first half and began the second half as impressively.

Julian was forced into two smart stops in the first five minutes of the second period although Hannah had to be on hand to halt Callum Kennedy and Robinson as the game ebbed and flowed.

And Julian needed to be at his best to preserve his clean sheet. Jake Mawford did excellently to flick at goal only for the stopper to stick out a hand and palm the ball to safety.

Mawford hit the crossbar and Robinson missed from close range in the final moments but one goal was enough.

Concord Rangers were defeated 2-0 by Oxford City as their inconsistent away run in the National League South continued.

Oxford had won five of their last six home games but there was little to separate the two in the early stages of the match with Concord growing into the encounter.

Adam Topley sent a rising shot over the crossbar before Danny Green sent a similarly tame effort off target.

Sam Blackman’s drive was well saved before a hammer blow with half-time looming.

Seconds before the whistle was due to sound Josh Ashby curled home a delightful free-kick for the hosts, wrong-footing goalkeeper Sam Beasant in the process.

After the break Alex Wall and Topley were again off target from promising positions but Oxford were to extend their impressive home record.

Beasant was caught in no man’s land and Rob Sinclair was left with the simple task of tapping into an open goal with 15 minutes remaining.

Concord pressed for a way back into the match but it wasn't to be.

East Thurrock United’s match against Weston-super-Mare was postponed following a crash on the M4.