TEN-MAN Southend United fought hard to secure a 1-1 draw at Charlton Athletic this afternoon.

The Shrimpers took the lead in the 22nd minute with Stephen Humphrys netting from long range.

But, just five minutes later, Blues were reduced to 10 men when midfielder Dru Yearwood was shown a straight red card.

And, despite ex Southend loanee Ben Reeves equalising for Charlton in the second half, Chris Powell’s side dug deep to pick up a point.

Charlton started on the front foot with Mark Marshall having a low shot blocked by Blues goalkeeper Nathan Bishop at his near post before Tariqe Fosu fired over from 12 yards.

Blues hit back with Michael Kightly curling a 20 yard shot past the left post before the visitors broke the deadlock in the 22nd minute, with Humphrys on target for the third time in four games.

The striker unleashed a well struck effort from 25 yards which took a deflection before flying into the top right hand corner of the net.

But, just five minutes later, the Shrimpers were reduced to 10 men when Yearwood was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Addicks midfielder Jonny Williams.

Blues reorganised with Kightly and Simon Cox dropping into deeper roles.

And, at the start of the second half, the Shrimpers broke forward with Humphrys battling hard down the left flank before teeing up Sam Mantom who could only fire over from inside the penalty area.

However, the Addicks soon hit back with Williams having a swerving shot well held by Bishop.

But, in the 59th minute, the hosts drew back level when Mark Marshall’s right wing cross found Reeves who netted with a header which entered the back of the net via the inside of the left post.

Charlton remained on top with Kryatian Bielik having a well struck 20 yard shot pushed wide of the right post by Bishop before the Blues shot-stopper somehow denied Josh Parker from close range.

Blues made their first change of the afternoon in the 63rd minute with Stephen McLaughlin replacing Kightly before a second alteration followed in the 70th minute as Michael Turner came on for the injured Sam Hart.

Shrimpers boss Powell made a third substitution five minutes from time with Michael Klass replacing Humphrys.

And Klass, who was celebrating his 20th birthday, almost made an instant impression as his shot from a narrow angle flashed across the face of goal.

Moments later, Turner scuffed an effort from Mantom’s left wing corner wide of the target before Klass saw another late effort well saved by Dillon Phillips.

The Addicks replied with Reeco Hackett-Fairchild heading inches wide of the left post but Blues dug deep to secure just their third draw of the season.