SOUTHEND United continued their pre-season preparations with a 2-2 draw at Weymouth tonight. 

The National South newcomers took an early lead through Abdulau Baggie before goals from Stephen Humphrys and Isaac Hutchinson put Blues in front.

However, a 75 minute equaliser from Weymouth’s Jake McCarthy ensured the game ended all square.

The Shrimpers wasted an early chance to take the lead when Michael Klass fired wide of the right post from just inside the penalty area.

But, after surviving the scare, Weymouth hit back to open the scoring in the 13th minute when Baggie won the ball off Tom Clifford before swapping passes with Ben Thomson and netting with a swerving shot with the outside of his right foot.

However, Southend equalised in fine fashion in the 24th minute when Humphrys fired home a well struck free-kick from fully 25 yards.

Weymouth soon got back on top with Brett Williams shooting wide of the far post after dispossessing Blues goalkeeper Nathan Bishop in the penalty area.

Moments later, Williams saw a powerful long effort tipped over by Bishop but the young shot-stopper also did well to block a scorching shot from Ollie Harfield with his body.

Shortly after the save, Blues made their first change of the night with John White replacing Richard Taylor at the heart of the back four.

And, with 41 minutes on the clock, the Shrimpers took the lead when Charlie Kelman played in Humphrys who turned brilliantly in the box to tee up Hutchinson to tap home.

But Weymouth were soon back on the front foot with Williams having a low shot impressively pushed wide of the left post by Bishop who then also did well to deny the midfielder with another effort when he was clean through on goal.

At the start of the second half, McCarthy sent a low 20 yard shot straight at Bishop before play switched back to the other end of the field with Humphrys having a low shot smothered by Weymouth goalkeeper Mark Childs.

Shortly after the effort and, with an hour on the clock, Blues made nine outfield changes with former Weymouth striker Brandon Goodship among those entering the action.

But, following the alteration the game became less eventful and, with 75 minutes on the clock, Weymouth levelled the scores when a right-wing corner was flicked into the back of the net by McCarthy.

Southend rallied late on and, after some great play from Dru Yearwood, Goodship was presented with a golden opportunity to win the game but his six yard shot was saved by Childs.

Southend United first hour: Bishop, Howard, Taylor (White 30), Kiernan, Clifford, Phillips, Hutchinson, Klass, Acquah, Humphrys, Kelman.

Final half an hour: Bishop, White, Jordan, Lennon, Blackman, Bwomono, Yearwood, Mantom, Milligan, McLaughlin, Goodship