CANVEY Island and Great Wakering Rovers got their Isthmian North campaign underway with victories, while Basildon United were defeated.

Mark Bentley’s Gulls came from behind to seal a 2-1 win over Romford.

Although Jimmy Cox handed Romford an 11th minute lead, but Canvey levelled matters thanks to George Purcell’s deflected free-kick.

Purcell, who was making his first competitive appearance since joining from Hornchurch during the close season, completed his brace five minutes later to ensure the Gulls would come out on top.

Wakering were also triumphant as they recorded a 4-1 win over Felixstowe & Walton United.

Brandon Diau, who was making his debut, broke the deadlock before Jack Stevenson doubled the visitors’ advantage on the stroke of half-time.

Matters were made worse for Felixstowe as goalkeeper Danny Crump was sent off on the hour mark.

And Wakering capitalised as Stevenson added his second goal of the afternoon four minutes later.

Billy Johnson completed the scoring with 10 minutes remaining.

Elsewhere, Basildon United were consigned to a 3-1 loss at Bury Town.

Bury were two goals to the good inside the opening 10 minutes as Cemal Ramadan and Ryan Jolland got their names on the scoresheet.

With 33 minutes on the clock, Basildon were reduced to 10 men as Adam Vyse was given his marching orders.

However, the Bees responded with Ayo Odukoya finding the back of the net three minutes later.

Ollie Hughes’ overhead kick put daylight between the two sides once again and Jolland was dismissed as both sides picked up red cards in their Isthmian North curtain-raiser.

In the Isthmian Premier League, Bowers & Pitsea extended their unbeaten start to the campaign by recording an impressive 2-0 victory at Lewes.

Brad Warner and Lewis Manor grabbed the Bowers goals.

East Thurrock United, meanwhile, were beaten 3-1 by Potters Bar Town.

Former Canvey winger Josh Hutchinson grabbed a brace of goals, while Ryan Young was also on target as Potters Bar took control at Rookery Hill.

Mitch Gilbey grabbed a late consolation for John Coventry’s Rocks.

Concord Rangers threw away a two-goal lead and drew 2-2 with Dulwich Hamlet.

Billy Roast handed the Beach Boys a seventh minute lead in the National League South clash, while Joel Nouble converted a Tosin Olufemi cross to put Concord into the ascendancy.

However, Dulwich’s Danny Mills halved the deficit on the stroke of half-time.

And Dulwich claimed a share of the spoils thanks to Mills’ 66th minute leveller.

Billericay Town were made to settle for a 1-1 draw at Hampton & Richmond Borough.

Hampton broke the deadlock as Cole Brown beat Alan Julian with a 37th penalty after Jordan Parkes had committed a foul.

However, Moses Emmanuel got the equaliser six minutes after the interval by lobbing over home goalkeeper Laurie Walker.