CANVEY Island booked their place in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup thanks to a last-gasp 2-1 replay win over Waltham Abbey.

A comical own goal from Dominique Yiagnigni had put the Gulls in front, but Leonne McKenzie levelled matters for the visitors at Park Lane.

A Ryan Dear red card gave Mark Bentley’s side a numerical advantage and they made it count as Jason Hallett slammed home a late header.

Canvey came close to taking a third minute lead as Hallett turned inside before sending a low strike inches wide of the target.

However, Waltham Abbey went even closer to breaking the deadlock early in the contest as Nathan Koranteng saw his strike from an acute angle deflect onto the angle of crossbar and post.

Canvey took a ninth minute lead in unusual circumstances.

George Purcell’s cross was headed high by full-back Yiagnigni. The attempted clearance should have been kept out by Waltham Abbey goalkeeper Anthony Page, but the custodian allowed the ball to bounce down on the goal-line before hitting the roof of the net.

Gulls goalkeeper Lamar Johnson made an impressive diving save to stop McKenzie scoring a quickfire leveller.

Purcell should have doubled the hosts’ lead soon before the half hour mark as he was played though on goal. However, Waltham Abbey were let off the hook as the summer signing skewed his effort wide with the goal at his mercy.

Alex Stephenson would have added his name to the scoresheet on the stroke of half-time were it not for a vital goal-line clearance.

Purcell went close to doubling the home side’s advantage when his deflected strike was parried around the post by Page.

And Hallett failed to take advantage of a free header from the resulting corner as the striker’s attempt went wide.

The Gulls’ missed opportunities proved costly as, just past the hour mark, Waltham Abbey drew level.

Immediately after coming off the bench, Darelle Russell put a teasing cross into the penalty area and McKenzie was on hand to head home.

And the visitors came agonisingly close to turning the game on its head when they struck the post with their next attack.

Page made a comfortable save to keep out a Josh Hutchinson drive and then repelled Dan Humphreys as Canvey looked to restore their advantage.

The Gulls then struck the woodwork as Sammy Knott’s drilled cross found Hallett on the edge of the penalty area.

Although the frontman’s deft flick caught Page out, Waltham Abbey were saved by the crossbar.

Canvey were then handed a numerical advantage as Dear’s rash challenge on Humphreys resulted in referee James Simpson brandishing a red card with nine minutes remaining.

And the Gulls made the sending off count as they grabbed the winner as the tie ticked into the 90th minute.

Purcell regained possession and Hutchinson’s deep cross was met by Hallett, whose close range header gave Page no chance.

And Canvey were able to seal a second qualifying round tie at St Ives Town.