CHARLIE Kelman’s early goal saw Southend United secure their first win of the League One season at MK Dons this afternoon.

The youngster fired home the only goal of the game before some determined defending saw the Shrimpers keep their first clean sheet since January.

Blues took just four minutes to open the scoring with the recalled Kelman on target.

The 17-year-old reacted sharply after Brandon Goodship had been tackled by Russell Martin and, after seeing his initial effort blocked, Kelman sent a clinical left, footed shot into the back of the net from 12 yards.

Dons soon hit back with Jordan Houghton having a 20 yard free-kick tipped wide of the right post by Blues goalkeeper Mark Oxley.

But, after surviving the scare, Southend replied and nearly doubled their lead on the half hour mark with Goodship slicing over after Simon Cox’s effort had been parried out by Dons goalkeeper Lee Nicholls.

The Shrimpers were forced into a change at the break with Isaac Hutchinson replacing Stephen McLaughlin.

But it was Dons substitute Kieran Agard who threatened first as his low effort was kept out by Oxley.

Moments later, Hutchinson saw a low free-kick parried out by Nicholls before the Shrimpers made a second change in the 65th minute with Luke Hyam replacing Ethan Hamilton in the centre of the park.

Four minutes later, Blues made their final alteration as John White replaced Goodship in a switch which also saw the visitors revert to a back five.

But, shortly after the change, Hutchinson did well to tee up Kelman who saw his left, footed shot saved by Nicholls before Hutchinson charged forward and sliced a left footed shot wide of the left post.

Dons with replied with David Kasumu sending a well struck 25 yard shot straight at Oxley before Nathan Ralph and Harry Lennon both did well to block goalbound efforts at the hosts pushed for an equaliser.

After standing firm, Blues came close to making it 2-0 in the 89th minute when Cox’s low effort from 20 yards struck the left post.

With play switching back to the other end of the field, White was forced off with arm injury but the Shrimpers stood firm with 10 men to secure an impressive victory.