SOUTHEND United slumped to a frustrating 1-0 defeat against Accrington Stanley at Roots Hall this afternoon.

Colby Bishop’s 52nd minute strike was enough to secure Accrington their first away win of the season during a frustration afternoon for the Shrimpers.

Blues lost Charlie Kelman and Simon Cox to injuries in the first half before Nathan Ralph was also red carded 17 minutes from time.

And that made it a tough afternoon for the Shrimpers’ caretaker boss Gary Waddock.

Henrik Larsson, who remains among the front-runners to be the next Blues boss, was again watching from the stands.

And, with 11 minutes on the clock, the Swede saw Cox send a low 20 yard shot inches wide of the right post before Stephen Humphrys also sent a long range effort wide of the same upright.

However, the Shrimpers were then forced into making a change in the 20th minute when Kelman went off injured and was replaced by Brandon Goodship.

Stanley soon replied with Sam Finley having a deflected effort tipped over by Southend goalkeeper Mark Oxley.

But, just before the break, Blues were forced into a second change as Cox went off injured and was replaced by Sam Mantom.

The Shrimpers suffered an even bigger blow seven minutes into the second half when the visitors took the lead, with Bishop on target.

The striker was picked out by Jerome Opoku’s left wing cross and netted with a well-taken effort for his fifth goal of the season.

Stanley continue to threaten and, with 64 minutes on the clock, the visitors wasted a golden chance to double their lead when Callum Johnson’s right wing cross picked out an unmarked Offrande Zanzala, only for the striker to somehow head over the crossbar from close range.

Finley then saw a well struck 18 yard shot tipped over by Oxley before the Shrimpers were reduced to 10 men in the 73rd minute as Ralph was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Seamus Conneely.

Accrington nearly made the most of their extra man with Sean McConville having a header impressively saved by Oxley.

At the other end of the pitch, the Shrimpers rarely threatened and were unable to register a single shot on target as Accrington kept their first clean sheet since January.