BILLERICAY Town, Concord Rangers, Bowers & Pitsea, Great Wakering Rovers and Southend Manor suffered defeats on Non-League Day.

But Basildon United booked their place in the next round of the FA Trophy by recording an away win and Canvey Island sealed a last-gasp draw in the competition.

Billericay were condemned to their first defeat of the Jamie O’Hara era as they lost 3-1 at Slough Town.

Slough took a deserved lead on 27 minutes as Sam Togwell bundled the ball home from close range via both posts.

And Matt Lench doubled the hosts’ lead on the stroke of half-time.

Matters got worse for Billericay after the break as Dan Roberts grabbed Slough’s third goal of the afternoon just before the hour mark.

Odysseus Alfa, who is on loan from Queens Park Rangers, got a goal back for Billericay with 15 minutes remaining by finding the top corner of the net but the visitors were unable to stage a late comeback.

Concord were also on the losing side in the National League South after going down 1-0 against Chippenham Town.

The Beach Boys thought they had taken the lead on the hour mark as Decarrey Sheriff converted, but the striker was ruled offside and the effort was disallowed.

Lamar Reynolds was then denied by Chippenham goalkeeper Will Ruddy before the visitors were awarded a penalty.

Luke Hopper’s powerful spot-kick, with just nine minutes remaining, just evaded Concord goalkeeper Chris Haigh and Danny Scopes’ side were unable to hit back.

Meanwhile, Bowers were condemned to a heartbreaking 2-1 defeat at Hornchurch.

Bowers took the lead on the stroke of half-time through Max Cornhill.

Brad Warner’s cross into the danger zone was punched by Urchins goalkeeper Joe Wright as far as Cornhill.

The midfielder’s volley was kept out on the goal-line via the crossbar, but Cornhill tapped home the rebound.

However, Hornchurch were offered a route back into the Isthmian Premier League clash as they were awarded a penalty following a Cornhill handball.

Chris Dickson stepped up and despatched the spot-kick with 69 minutes on the clock.

And Hornchurch were to grab the winner in the fourth minute of injury time as Matt Johnson nodded a corner home.

Basildon enjoyed a late FA Trophy preliminary round 3-2 win over Isthmian North rivals Brentwood Town.

Adam Vyse, on his return from suspension, gave the Bees a third minute lead.

Brentwood drew level soon after the half hour through Michael Toner.

Basildon restored their one-goal advantage on 72 minutes as Vyse threaded the ball through to Ayo Odukoya, who found the bottom corner of the net.

However, Brentwood quickly responded with Jason Williams equalising.

It looked as though the tie was going to go to a replay, but Kurt Smith had other ideas and fired home with one minute remaining to ensure the Bees would triumph.

Meanwhile, Wakering exited the competition as they lost 5-3 to Westfield.

Jake Gordon cancelled out Max Blackmore’s opener for Westfield, but the visitors restored their lead at Burroughs Park thanks to Aaron Watson two minutes after the interval.

Tinashe Nkoma put daylight between the two sides, but Gordon gave Wakering hope by completing his brace from the penalty spot with five minutes still to play.

However, Wakering finished the clash with 10 men as Ollie Woodhouse was dismissed.

Aaron Watson scored two late goals to wrap up his hat-trick but there was still time for Southend United loanee Jon Benton to notch his first Wakering goal.

Canvey will be involved in a first qualifying round after playing out a 2-2 draw against Middlesex’s Ashford Town.

The Gulls got off to the perfect start as Jason Hallett netted inside the opening minute.

However, second half goals from Kelvin Adjei and Scott Todd allowed Ashford to turn the game on its head.

It looked as though Canvey were heading out of the FA Trophy, but Kane Gilbert scored his first goal for the club by converting an 88th minute penalty.

Elsewhere, Southend Manor suffered a 4-1 Essex Senior League defeat to Tower Hamlets.