WESTCLIFF’S testing start to life in National Two South continued as they were beaten 39-12 at Bournemouth.

Westcliff were again without a number of players.

And that proved costly as they were seen off by Bournemouth, who moved above them at the foot of the table, much to the frustration of first team manager Rick Compton.

“It was a tough day at the office,” said Compton.

“We didn’t play the conditions well and lost our way in the second half.

“Apart from a few lessons about how and where to play what kind of game, it’s one to put behind us and move on.

“It’s no secret our squad has been stretched in the last couple of weeks and we have not been at our best.

“All teams go through such periods and it is down to us to cope and grow through it.

“Already we are looking forward to the first time visit of Taunton next week and minds will be firmly focused on that at training this week.”

Saturday’s conditions were less than ideal but the game nevertheless commenced at a pace with the home team pressing hard.

Bournemouth gained better advantage and momentum from the kicking exchanges and opened the scoring after 10 minutes through a penalty and extended their lead through a converted try from their winger after 23 minutes.

Trailing 10-0, Westcliff made significant inroads for the first time as the half wore on and despite being dragged down just short on a number of occasions, they finally scored from short range through prop Ewan Binneman.

Chris Bolton converted to bring the score to 10-7 but Westcliff’s Joe Vandermolen then had to leave the field injured and when the game restarted with a scrum the rearranged pack conceded a penalty which was converted with the final kick of the half.

Bournemouth scored a further try through their winger on 52 minutes before two more converted tries followed in rapid succession.

At 34-7 the game was now over as a contest. But Westcliff rallied briefly to score a second try through Sam Reynolds.

However, the hosts had the final say as time played out and they added a fifth try in the closing minutes

Westcliff: H Morrant, Kwassi, B Reynolds, Whiting, Hogarth, Croft, Bolton, Meakin, Lynch, Binneman, Scogings, Dartnell, Vandermolen, Webber, S Reynolds

Replacements: Binstead, C Marsh, J Marsh, B Morrant, O’Brien