SOL Campbell’s first game in charge of Southend United ended in frustration as promotion chasing Ipswich recorded a 3-1 win at Roots Hall.

The struggling Shrimpers produced a mostly spirited display for their new manager.

But Blues rarely failed to trouble Town goalkeeper Will Norris as their winless streak extended to a seventh game.

Southend thought they had made dream start to Campbell’s regime with Rob Kiernan heading home Isaac Hutchinson’s right wing free-kick but the effort was ruled out for offside.

But, after surviving the scare, Ipswich hit back to break the deadlock in the eighth minute when Kayden Jackson’s ball forward teed up James Norwood.

And, with Southend goalkeeper Mark Oxley rooted to his line, Norwood slammed home from 12 yards.

In reply, Blues full-back Elvis Bwomono soon fizzed a right-wing cross across the face of goal before the visitors replied with Danny Rowe having a low shot saved by Oxley.

Moments later, Oxley kept the Shrimpers in the game with a fine double save as he parried out a low 25 yard shot from Jon Nolan before also blocking Jackson’s follow up effort.

Town skipper Luke Chambers then headed wide of the left post from close range after Norwood had headed Luke Garbutt’s left wing corner into his path.

Blues were back on the front foot at the start of the second half but found it tough to create clear-cut chances.

However, Ipswich had no such difficulties at the other end of the field with Gwion Edwards sending a low, 20 yard shot inches wide of the right post.

But Town were not to be denied for long and they doubled their lead in the 70th minute when Jackson advanced down the left hand side and delivered a low cross which teed up Norwood who sent fired a first time effort into the bottom right hand of the net.

Six minutes later, Ipswich made it 3-0 when a right wing corner was rolled into the path of Jon Nolan whose effort 20 yard shot was parried out by Oxley, enabling Jackson to fire home the rebound from close range.

In reply, Blues striker Stephen Humphrys’ saw a goalbound effort blocked by the legs of visiting goalkeeper Will Norris before Town were back on top with Alan Judge firing inches wide of the left post from long range.

After surviving the scare, the Shrimpers hit back and got onto the score-sheet themselves in the 83rd minute with substitute Emile Acquah bagging his first senior goal for the club as he forced the ball home at the far post after a fine left wing cross from Nathan Ralph.

Jason Demetriou then also curled a 20 yard shot inches wide of the right post.

But Blues remain second from bottom in the standings and have still yet to win at home this season.