STEVE Butterworth admits Great Wakering Rovers felt hard done by due to the way in which Canvey Island grabbed a share of the spoils in a 1-1 stalemate at Burroughs Park.

Kojo Apenteng, who was making his first appearance for Wakering following a move from Barking, put the hosts in front but Canvey drew level in controversial circumstances.

Wakering goalkeeper Bobby Mason was adjudged to have handled the ball outside of the penalty area and, following Jason Hallett’s quickly taken free-kick, Albert Levett curled home the Gulls’ equaliser 11 minutes from time.

And, while he concedes the visitors deserved a point from the Isthmian North derby, Butterworth was left frustrated by the referee’s decision to penalise Mason.

“The way the goal came about was frustrating,” said the Wakering player-manager, who came on as a substitute seven minutes earlier.

“I was on the pitch and in line with it so I know it’s nigh-on impossible to tell whether Bobby was inside or outside of the penalty area.

“He was pushed anyway and I told the referee after the game that he couldn’t physically see the lines from where he was standing.

“That made it frustrating but Canvey deserved a point because they were better than us.

“We grafted and defended well while working very hard.

“But, after losing six or seven players in the last few weeks, I would have probably taken a point had it been offered to me before the game and I reckon they would have as well.”

Apenteng gave Wakering a first half lead as he marked his debut in style.

The winger beat the offside trap before latching onto Jake Gordon’s through ball and slotting past Canvey goalkeeper Rob Budd.

And Butterworth was pleased with Apenteng’s display.

“Kojo struggled for the first half an hour and didn’t really get into it,” added Butterworth.

“I was a little bit frustrated and we had to change our shape by going two up top because of personnel.

“It didn’t really suit us so I was about to change it but then Kojo scored and that made my mind up to leave it as it was.

“Once Kojo scored, he came alive. Every time he got it, he looked dangerous.

“I’m pleased for him because he hadn’t played for a few weeks.”