WESTCLIFF waved goodbye to their current Gables base with an impressive 24-19 win against Redruth.

In their final outing at their home for the past 35 years, Westcliff bagged their second victory of the National Two South season.

And Westcliff’s first team manager Rick Compton was thrilled to triumph on a memorable day for the club.

“It was a great performance and a hard earned but very much deserved result,” said Compton.

“We controlled long periods of the game and it’s very satisfying that when we got squeezed a little bit at the death, we were able to close it out in a way that has previously escaped us at home this season.

“All the lads put in a real shift and played with great discipline and patience. Our defence was excellent and we took our opportunities well.

“It was a fitting way to bring down the curtain on 35 years of senior rugby at Aviation Way before our imminent move and, with the Lions beating old friends and rivals Southend on the adjacent pitch, the day couldn’t have got much better.”

Westcliff were immediately on the front foot at the weekend and they opened the scoring when Greg Bannister evaded an overstretched defence to touch down.

After the early score, the hosts continued to dictate the tempo and enjoy territorial advantage and possession.

Twice more they were held up over the line before a further 20 minutes later Sam Reynolds touched down after yet another series of close-range drives to make it 10-0.

With Westcliff remaining on top, Billy Morrant then broke the tackle and successfully reached for the line for a try Jack Jones was able to convert.

Redruth hit back with a try of their own to cut Westcliff’s lead to 17-7 at half-time but, unlike last week, the home side started the second half strongly.

A direct and penetrating run from Will Weston broke the defensive line enabling him to offload to Morrant on a hard-supporting line who loped across the line under the posts.

The next 20 minutes were keenly contested with both teams attacking and defending when the opportunity and need arose but neither team made the breakthrough.

As the final 10 minutes approached Redruth did break the deadlock, an inside pass releasing their full-back to score on the right hand side.

The try went unconverted before Westcliff replied with Bannister having a try ruled out for crossing.

In reply, Redruth threw caution to the wind and, just moments after Joe Vandermolen was yellow carded for the hosts, they bagged another try to cut Westcliff’s lead to just five points.

But, with the match in the balance, Westcliff were able to see out the closing stages to make it a memorable day both on and off the pitch.

Westcliff: Bannister, Hogarth, B Reynolds, Smith, Radzevicius, Jones, Bolton, Weston, B Morrant, Binneman, Scogings, Vandermolen, Lynch, Marsh, S Reynolds Replacements: H Morrant, Croft, Binstead, Meakin & Johnson