SOUTH Woodham Ferrers got back to winning ways with a 10-6 victory against Wanstead.

Woodham had been beaten in their previous three London Two North East outings.

And the club’s David Baker was happy to get back on track with a determined display.

“This was a must-win game for us and we showed real spirit throughout,” said Baker.

“Both sides turned in a massive defensive effort neutralising each other’s attack.

“In the end it was us who will feel a little frustrated that we couldn’t turn possession and field position into more points.

“But fittingly it was a defender who produced the defining moment of the game when, in the closing minute, one of Wanstead’s rare attacks was halted by a bone-crunching tackle from Sammy Sharp.

“Not only did it stop the attack but it also gave the ball to us so we could put it into touch to close the game out to get the win we needed.”

The game started with the visitors showing the greater promise with a series of attacks that threatened the Woodham line.

But some great defending kept them out and for the rest of the half it was Woodham who dominated play.

Strong defending kept the home team at bay until an accidental offside resulted in a Woodham scrum just inside the visitors’ 22.

Quick ball from the scrum and some fine passing out to James Price allowed the speedster to cross the line for the only try of the day.

Alex Baker, having just missed a penalty in front of the posts, landed the more difficult conversion.

After more Woodham attacks, the lead was stretched to 10 points with a further penalty from Baker.

The home supporters could have expected the team to kick on in the second half and build a big score but it was not to be.

Despite having most of the possession, Woodham simply could not crack the Wanstead defence as a series of mistakes and some silly penalties let the visitors off the hook.

Woodham replied with two penalties of their own and, with the lead down to four points, a tense closing 15 minutes was to follow.

However, seventh-placed Woodham continued to have the best of possession but just could not find that final killer pass to break the spirited Wanstead defence.

In London One South, Thurrock were also celebrating as they won 43-31 at Beckenham to move up to ninth in the table.

In London Three Essex, bottom of the table Basildon suffered another defeat as they lost 51-5 at East London to continue their miserable season which has seen them lose all 10 of their matches.

In Essex One, Canvey Island remain second in the table after beating Billericay 40-7 on Saturday.