DAVID Knight came back to haunt former club Bowers & Pitsea as he scored two late goals to allow Tilbury to record a 3-2 Essex Senior Cup fourth round win.

Knight claimed a brace in the final nine minutes to ensure the Dockers, who are managed by ex-Basildon United boss Marc Harrison, would progress to the quarter-finals at Bowers’ expense.

And, despite going out of the competition, Rob Small is pleased to see Knight continuing the prolific form he showed while on the books of Bowers until departing in September.

“Callum Leahy and Tom Hine, who were playing at centre-half, did a really good job against David but a couple of lapses in concentration cost us,” said Bowers boss Small.

“Bizarrely, I am delighted for David even though we lost.

“No-one ever doubted his ability to score goals and I’m pleased he is doing that for Tilbury and it was good to see him again as well.”

With Knight no longer at the Len Salmon Stadium, Tyrone Baker was handed a start for Bowers on Tuesday.

The striker has been in impressive form for the Isthmian Premier League club’s under-23 side.

And Small was pleased with how the promising youngster performed.

“Tyrone played really well,” added Small.

“Offensively, he has a lot to offer because he is capable of carrying the ball forward and beating a man.

“He has got a lot to learn with regards to his work defensively.

“His positional awareness and knowing what’s required in that aspect of the game can be worked on.

“If we can get him singing from the same hymn sheet as the senior players then he will have a great career with us.”

Oli Spooner, formerly of Basildon United, broke the deadlock to give Tilbury a 24th minute lead at a wet Len Salmon Stadium.

But Bowers turned the game on its head with two goals in the space of seven second half minutes.

Brad Warner came off the bench to level matters before Ben Sartain added his name to the scoresheet.

However, there was to be a late twist as Knight netted from the penalty spot before claiming the winner in the dying moments.

“It was a well-contested game which was killed a little bit by the conditions,” admitted Small, whose side went into the clash following back-to-back Isthmian Premier League wins.

“I thought we had done enough to win the game but, unfortunately, a couple of lapses in concentration have killed us at the end of the game.

“Those errors cost us but there were a few positives to take.”