SOUTHEND United triumphed 2-1 at Accrington Stanley this afternoon to secure their first League One success since September.

A second half penalty from Jason Demetriou saw the Shrimpers secure all three points after Charlie Kelman’s opener had been cancelled out by Stanley’s Dion Charles.

But Blues dug deep to record just their second league win of the season.

Southend were forced into an early change with skipper Timothee Dieng limping off to be replaced by Brandon Goodship.’ But, just moments after the change and, with 11 minutes on the clock, the Shrimpers broke the deadlock with Kelman on target.

The young striker – who was making his first start since injuring his ankle against Accrington back in September – reacted sharply in the box and thundered a 20 yard shot into the right hand side of the net.

Tom Hopper then saw a low effort smothered by Accrington goalkeeper Josef Bursik before the hosts began to hit back.

Joe Pritchard had a low shot cleared of the line by the Shrimpers’ Stephen McLaughlin before the hosts equalised in the 17th minute when Sam Finley’s right wing cross was headed back across goal to enable Dion Charles to nod home from close range.

With Accrington remaining on top, Oxley did well to deny Finley from 12 yards before Colby Bishop headed over from close range.

The Shrimpers hit back with Tom Hopper heading Mark Milligan’s right wing cross inches wide of the left post but, with play switching back to the other end of the field, Oxley rushed out to bravely stop Charles scoring.

Pritchard then sent a low effort just wide of the right post before Blues regained the lead six minutes into the second half, with Demetriou netting another penalty.

Referee Antony Coggins pointed to the spot after adjudging Jordan Clark to have brought down Goodship in the box.

And Demetriou again made no mistake from the spot as his sent his spot-kick into the bottom right hand corner of the net with Bursik diving in the opposite direction.

In reply, Stanley midfielder Finley fired over from 20 yards before Pritchard had an effort saved at his near post by Oxley.

Finley then sent a long range effort inches wide of the left post before the Shrimpers made their second change in the 74th minute with Sam Barratt replacing a tiring Kelman.

Barratt was involved immediately but he fired an excellent opportunity straight at Bursik before the Stanley shot-stopper pushed a well struck 25 yard shot from Sam Mantom wide of the right post.

Blues soon came even closer to making it 3-1 with Barratt having a curling free-kick pushed onto the foot of the left post but, after surviving the scares, Accrington hit back with Charles firing over from 18 yards.

But the Shrimpers stood firm to secure a rare victory.