SOUTHEND United’s wait for back to back wins continues after suffering a 2-1 defeat at Blackpool this afternoon.

Blues had been hoping to build on Saturday’s 2-1 win against Lincoln City.

But a brace from Blackpool striker Armand Gnanduillet means the Shrimpers have still not won two games in a row since October 2018.

Blackpool – who had not won in their previous 10 games - came close to taking an early lead when Gnanduillet’s header was nodded off the line by Blues defender Tom Clifford.

In reply, Shrimpers winger Sam Barratt saw a long range effort held by Blackpool goalkeeper Chris Maxwell before the hosts hit back and almost broke the deadlock when Mark Milligan sliced Marc Bola’s left wing cross inches wide of his own right post.

After surviving the scare, Southend replied with Milligan sending a well struck half volley over the crossbar from long range and, just moments later, Stephen McLaughlin sent a low effort inched wide of the right post.

Isaac Hutchinson then saw a deflected long range effort easily held by Maxwell before the visitors wasted a huge chance to break the deadlock when a mistake from Blackpool defender Ben Heneghan allowed Hutchinson’s pass to roll under his foot, sending McLaughlin clean through on goal.

However, the Irishman attempted to lob the ball over the advancing Maxwell and send his effort over the crossbar from close range.

Three minutes later and, with 37 minutes on the clock, Blackpool broke the deadlock when Liam Feeney’s fine cross from the right flank perfectly picked out Gnanduillet who headed home from six yards.

Blues made a change at the break with Brandon Goodship replacing Barratt and the visitors soon came close to equalising when Sam Mantom’s well struck effort from 25 yards was pushed wide of the right post by Maxwell.

In a further bid to get back into the game, the Shrimpers made a second change on the hour mark with Eren Kinali replacing Hutchinson.

But, with 64 minutes on the clock, Blackpool doubled their lead with Gnanduillet on target from the penalty spot.

The spot kick was given after Blues goalkeeper Mark Oxley was adjudged to have brought down Nathan Delfounso.

And Gnanduillet made no mistake from the spot, sending his effort into the bottom left hand corner of the net with Oxley diving in the opposite direction.

With Blackpool remaining on top, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall then saw a powerful effort fly just past the right post.

But Blues soon replied and got back into the game in stunning fashion in the 72nd minute when McLaughlin send a stunning 30 yard shot into the top left hand corner of the net.

Eight minutes from time, the Shrimpers made their final change with Matt Rush replacing Charlie Kelman in attack but the visitors rarely threatened late on.

And it was Gnanduillet who continued to threaten most as his close range header went just past the right post.