SOUTHEND United ended a turbulent week with a well-deserved 3-1 win against Bristol Rovers at Roots Hall this afternoon.

Despite a number of senior players still not being paid, the Shrimpers produced a committed display.

And efforts from Charlie Kelman, Terrell Egbri and an own goal from Alfie Kilgour saw Sol Campbell’s side end a run of six successive defeats.

Rovers, who have now triumphed just once in 18 games, came close to taking an early lead when Alfie Kilgour headed against the left post from close range.

But Blues hit back and opened the scoring in the 18th minute after Jason Demetriou latched onto a poor pass from Cian Harries to flick the ball into the path of Kelman.

The Shrimpers striker strode confidently forwardly before firing an excellent 25 yard shot into the bottom left hand corner of the net for his seventh goal of the season.

The home-side soon came close to doubling their lead when Egbri’s deflected right wing cross bounced back off the crossbar before a deflected long range effort from Lewis Gard flew inches wide of the left post.

Moments later, Blues had penalty shouts waved away by referee James Oldham after Joe Shaughnessy went to ground in the box.

But, after surviving the scares, Rovers hit back to equalise just 30 seconds into the second half when an error from Elvis Bwomono lead to Jayden Mitchell-Lawson racing through to score with an assured low finish.

However, the Shrimpers hit back to regain the lead in the 55th minute following a well-worked move, instigated by Gard.

The midfielder rolled a fine pass into the path of Eren Kinalia whose low, left wing cross picked out the on-rushing Egbri who fired home a fine, first time finish at the back post to score his first senior goal for the club.

Bwomono then saw a low effort blocked in front of goal before visiting shot-stopper Jamal Blackman did well to divert a close range volley from McLaughlin over the crossbar.

Blackman then gathered an overhead kick from Kelman before the Shrimpers sealed their win in the 79th minute when a left wing cross from McLaughlin was diverted into the back of his own net by Alfie Kilgour.