A SOUTHEND United record breaker has passed away, aged 89.

Arthur Williamson played an amazing 230 consecutive games for the Shrimpers.

And Blues historian Peter Miles feels Arthur’s record will never be beaten.

“Arthur went from January 1956 to September 1960 without missing a game and there were no substitutes in those days either so he would have played every minute of those 230 games as well,” said Peter.

“He definitely holds a special place in the club’s record books and it’s highly unlikely it will ever been beaten.”

Arthur joined the Shrimpers from Clyde in 1955 and was described in the club’s 1961/62 handbook as ‘a strong tackler who was quick in recovery.’ And he enjoyed a successful start to his career with Southend.

“He made his Blues debut at right-back in the 4-1 home victory over Brentford in September 1955, replacing Doug Young,” said Peter.

“After a run of seventeen League and two FA Cup appearances, Dennis Howe displaced Arthur for two matches, but on his return to the right-back position on 7th January 1956, in a 3-2 home victory over Lincoln City in the FA Cup, Arthur made the number two jersey his own.

“He played the remaining 20 League and two FA Cup matches during the 1955/56 campaign, and then was an ever present for the next four complete seasons.”

That meant Arthur was also involved in Blues’ FA Cup clash with Manchester City which is best remembered for a man of the match display from City’s legendary goalkeeper Bert Trautmann who helped the visitors win 1-0.

And he also helped Southend beat Liverpool 2-1 back in 1957.

“Arthur played in Blues’ famous 1-0 home defeat to Manchester City in the Roots Hall and also in the 2-1 win against Liverpool,” confirmed Peter.

“The 1957/58 campaign also saw two more matches for Arthur in the FA Cup against Liverpool.”

In total, Arthur made 287 appearances for the Shrimpers and scored two goals before leaving at the end of the 1961/62 season.

After that, he returned to Scotland to run his family’s butchery business. He was also a keen golfer and became a greenkeeper at Craigie Hill Golf Club in 1974.