ANOTHER worrying week for Southend United ended in defeat at Carlisle United this afternoon.

In the build up to visiting Brunton Park, Blues were given another six weeks to pay off a tax bill of nearly £500,000.

But the Shrimpers are also suffering on the pitch too as they slumped to a fourth successive setback, losing 2-0.

Southend held their own early on before Carlisle started to step things up and, in the 33rd minute, they came close to taking the lead when a long throw from Josh Kayode was met by Aaron Hayden whose close range header was superbly saved by Mark Oxley.

But the home-side remained on top and broke the deadlock just three minutes later when a right wing corner was cleared out into the path of Omari Patrick whose deflected effort flew into the left hand side of the net.

The Cumbrians remained on top and extended their lead in the 39th minute following a neatly constructed counter attack down their left hand side.

Patrick was this time the provider as his sped past a number of defenders before rolling a pass into the path of Kayode who fired home a low, right footed shot from 14 yards.

Blues hit back with Terrell Egbri having a swerving effort parried out by Carlisle goalkeeper Paul Farman but his team-mate Aaron Hayden was on hand to put the resulting rebound behind for a corner.

After the break, Jon Mellish fired Nick Anderton’s left wing cross over the crossbar from 10 yards before the Shrimpers made their first change on the afternoon on the hour mark with Lewis Gard replacing Alan McCormack in midfield.

McCormack went straight into the side after returning to the club on a short term deal last week and a second change followed in the 71st minute with the fit again Tom Clifford coming on for Charlie Kelman.

However, Carlisle threatened next with Lewis Alessandra sending a well struck left footed foot just wide of the left post before Oxley did well to superbly keep out another close range header from Hayden.

A third change followed for Blues with Eren Kinali coming on for Brandon Goodship in a switch which left the visitors with no actual strikers on the pitch for the closing stages of another frustrating afternoon.