Non-league action this weekend came in the form of pre-season friendlies, league fixtures and FA Trophy matchups,reports Leon Imber. 

Friendlies were played among the National League South sides, with Billericay Town and Concord Rangers facing up against a Finishing Touch Football side and Harlow Town respectively.

Both will be encouraged by their performance and result, as Jamie O’Hara’s side came away with a convincing 3-1 victory and Danny Scopes’ team put three past Harlow with no reply.

In the FA Trophy, Hullbridge Sports fell to a 1-0 defeat at home to Ashford Town.

The game was very tightly contested until the 85th minute, when Steven Duff produced a moment of magic to send the Middlesex-based side through to the next round.

Darren Manning will be disappointed by the result, but the league can now be the focus and the 7-0 victory over Witham Town showed that if they can build some consistency, Hullbridge will be a strong force in the Isthmian North Division.

After a 0-0 draw in the previous week, Felixstowe and Walton United faced Great Wakering Rovers again but this time in the FA Trophy.

This match was to be more eventful however, as two second half goals ruined Stephen Butterworth’s side's hopes of FA Trophy success despite a late consolation.

Scoring a brace, Oliver Canfer was the man that put Great Wakering to the sword and they will be disappointed that they allowed Felixstowe to go one better than the draw they shared a week previously.

More FA Trophy action came in the form of a draw and penalty shootout in Basildon United’s match against Northwood.

A first half strike by Ruben Martins Carvalho was cancelled out in the 85th minute by Jaden Sharman, taking the tie to a penalty shootout in which Northwood ran out 4-3 victors.

All in all, there was not much trophy joy for Essex sides this weekend, but in the Isthmian Premier Division, Bowers and Pitsea stunned Leatherhead with a 7-0 mauling.

Billy Knott caught the eye for the Essex side, getting two goals and two assists as he claimed after the game that ‘he had a point to prove,’ for Rob Small’s side as they ran rampant.

It is now down to Bowers to follow this result up with consistent performances, as they have proved just how strong they can be.

Elsewhere, East Thurrock United slumped to a 3-1 defeat as they hosted Cray Wanderers.

The free-scoring visitors have been in fantastic form so far this season and so were a difficult challenge for Paul Martin’s side.

Cray were 3-0 up by the 55th minute and seemed to have applied the handbrakes, but a 3-1 defeat is not to be sniffed at and East Thurrock shouldn’t be too disheartened as the Wanderers look like a particularly strong outfit so far this season.

Mark Bentley's Canvey Island were in derby day action, seeing off Grays Athletic 4-0.

The game had the highest attendance of all Isthmian North games on the day and the home fans that attended will have been very displeased with the result.

Canvey have made a good start to the 2020/21 campaign though, and Bentley will be very happy with the follow up from the FA Cup qualifying victory in midweek.

Evans Kouassi, Tobi Joseph, Elliott Ronto and Harrison Chatting were all on target for Canvey.

Lastly, in the Essex Senior League, Hashtag United saw off Sawbridgeworth Town 4-2.

The Hertfordshire-based side took the lead in the fifth minute but that did not deter Jay Devereux’s men from taking the lead soon after.

Harry Honesty rounded off the scoring for the Tags to conclude another victory in their exceptional start to the season.

Southend Manor were beaten 5-0 at Stansted.