CONCORD Rangers heartbreakingly missed out on a first-ever spot in the second round of the FA Cup following a penalty shoot-out defeat to Stevenage.

The Beach Boys made the trip to the Lamex Stadium looking to make history and the sides could not be separated after 90 minutes, with Alex Wall cancelling out former Southend United left-back Ben Coker’s strike.

Danny Newton restored the League Two side’s advantage in extra-time, but Danny Scopes’ Beach Boys hit back once again through Odei Martin and the tie finished 2-2.

However, Stevenage clinched a 5-4 shoot-out win to stop Concord causing an upset.

The first meaningful attempt of the contest went the way of the home side, with Concord conceding a free-kick in a dangerous position.

Stevenage frontman Inih Effiong stepped up to take the set piece, but his curling effort did not trouble Beach Boys custodian Chris Haigh as it headed comfortably over the crossbar.

Concord attacker Wall caused Stevenage’s backline problems early on and he escaped the attentions of Boro skipper Scott Cuthbert. With former Southend United centre-half Luke Prosser coming across to put pressure on Wall, the frontman attempted to square for Temi Babalola but his attempted pass was just out of the winger’s reach.

Marcus Dinanga’s miscued strike let the visitors off the hook after good work from Effiong as the encounter approached the half-hour mark, but the warning signs fell on deaf ears as the deadlock was broken moments later.

Coker’s 27th minute strike took a wicked deflection to leave Haigh wrong-footed and give the League Two side a slender lead.

The Beach Boys responded well, with Jason Raad – who joined from Isthmian North side Aveley during the summer – sending a curling effort just wide following good work by Babalola.

However, Concord were level three minutes before the interval. A fine move resulted in Raad being able to deliver a teasing cross and although Sam Blackman got a toe onto the ball, Wall found the back of the net from close range.

The Beach Boys started the second half brightly too, with Blackman stinging the palms of home goalkeeper Jamie Cumming.

While they continued probing going forward, Concord had to be resolute at the back and they were as Aron Pollock and Ryan Scott combined to deny Elliott List a goalscoring opportunity from close range.

Wall tested Cumming after Raad sprung a Beach Boys counter-attack by evading former Southend pair Coker and Prosser.

Concord were fortunate to remain on level terms when Haigh came out of his penalty area and attempted to clear the ball ahead of Stevenage substitute Aramide Oteh getting there. Although Haigh just about won the footrace, his clearance hit Oteh and went straight into the Hertfordshire sky rather than into the back of the net.

Neither side could find a winner before the 90 minutes were up, so the contest headed to extra-time.

Lamar Reynolds’ tame header was comfortably gathered by Cumming after former Southend man Jack Bridge, who recently joined the Beach Boys, drove at the hosts’ defence.

However, Stevenage restored their lead in the eighth minute of extra-time thanks to a scrappy goal from substitute Newton, who turned the ball home from inside the six-yard box.

The Beach Boys were not willing to go down without a fight and they responded in the second period through Martin’s close range effort.

Haigh made a phenomenal fingertip save to thwart Oteh while, at the other end of the pitch, Cumming made a stunning stop to deny Reynolds.

The tie headed to penalties and Stevenage progressed, with Tosan Popo being the only Concord man not to find the net.