ROCK-BOTTOM Southend United came crashing back down to earth with a 1-0 defeat against Forest Green Rovers tonight.

The Shrimpers, who called off Saturday’s clash with Cambridge United, after being unable to field a side, had been hoping to build on their 1-0 win at Walsall.

However, Rovers substitute Jake Young bagged the only goal of the game midway through the second half meaning Blues have still not won back to back games since October 2018.

Southend were forced into making a late change just before kick off as Harry Kyprianou was drafted in to replace left-back Tom Clifford who dropped out of the side after suffering an injury in the warm up.

But both sides found it tough to create chance during an evenly contested first half before the Shrimpers wasted a golden opportunity just minutes before the break.

Right-back Elvis Bwomono carved open the chance as he strode towards the penalty area before rolling a pass into the path of Matt Rush.

However, the young striker – who was making just the second League start of his career – could only fire wide of the left post despite being left unmarked 12 yards from goal.

The relieved visitors soon replied with Jamille Matt heading Nicky Cadden’s left wing cross over the crossbar before Cadden’s free-kick was parried to safety by Blues goalkeeper Mark Oxley in the closing action of the first half.

After the break, the visitors did well to scramble clear a left wing cross from James Olayinka before Kyprianou’s centre from the same side was parried out by Luke McGee, only for Chris Stokes to complete the clearance.

Rovers immediately replied with Odin Bailey seeing his shot impressively deflected over by a sliding John White before the visitors’ Dan Sweeney also saw an effort diverted wide of the left post.

In a further bid to make a breakthrough, Forest Green made a double change in the 59th minute as both Aaron Collins and Young entered the action.

And, just six minutes after their arrival, the duo combined superbly well as Collins worked his way past Jason Demetriou down the right hand side before delivering a low cross Young was able to fire home from 10 yards.

The Shrimpers responded with a change of their own as Kenny Coker replaced Rush in attack but Rovers continued to attack and soon came close to making it 2-0 when Young headed Matt’s deflected right wing cross against the inside of the left post.

Collins then saw a long range effort parried out by Oxley before Blues made another change in the 74th minute as the fit-again Alan McCormack replaced Jason Demetriou in the centre of the park.

The Shrimpers rarely looked like conjuring up a late leveller and are now cut adrift at the foot of the League Two table with just one win all season.