SOUTHEND United’s 101 year stay in the Football League is over – despite this afternoon’s 2-1 win at Barrow.

Goals from John White and Terrell Egbri secured Phil Brown his 100th victory as the Shrimpers manager.

But Scunthorpe United’s 0-0 draw at Bradford City means Blues will be lining up in the National League next season.

The visitors threatened early on with Ricky Holmes seeing his cross-shot parried out by Barrow goalkeeper Joel Dixon before Greg Halford acrobatically sent the rebound over the crossbar.

Moments later, White’s close range effort from a half cleared Holmes corner was blocked by Matt Platt.

But, after surviving the scares, Barrow opened the scoring in the 19th minute, with Quigley on target for the 15th time this season.

The home-side launched a quick counter attack after a Shrimpers move had broken down, enabling Quigley to fire home after being sent clear through on goal by Luke James’ through ball.

However, Blues responded strongly and equalised on the half hour mark with John White scoring for the first time this season.

The Shrimpers skipper was picked out by a right wing free-kick from Holmes and made no mistake with a powerful volley from 12 yards which Barrow goalkeeper Joel Dixon could only push into the top right hand corner of the net.

Barrow hit back with Quigley having an effort ruled out for offside in the closing action of the half.

The Shrimpers made a change during the interval with Matt Rush replacing Holmes and the visitors soon threatened with Cordner sending a deflected 20 yard shot wide of the left post.

However Blues soon went in front with a fortuitous strike from Egbri.

The winger battled his way past two Barrow defenders but his 25 yard shot was somehow spilled over the goal-line by Dixon.

Moments later, the Shrimpers were forced into another change as Brandon Goodship replaced an injured Reeco Hackett-Fairchild but the visitors were soon thankful to goalkeeper Mark Oxley who did well to deny Matt Platt from close range.

Ollie Banks then fired over when well placed in front of goal as Southend clung on to secure all three points but it was not enough to stop them suffering a second successive relegation.