SOUTHEND United sunk to another new low in tonight’s 3-2 defeat against struggling Aldershot Town.

Shots visited Roots Hall having failed to pick up a single point in their opening five games of the season.

But, despite stand in skipper Rhys Murphy putting the Shrimpers in front, Aldershot hit back to humiliate Phil Brown’s side by securing their first win of the campaign.

Blues had been determined to react strongly to Saturday’s dire 3-1 defeat at Halifax Town and Terrell Egbri saw an early effort deflect wide of the right post after good work by Sam Dalby down the left hand side.

However, Aldershot soon replied with Jayden Harris having a low 20 yard shot impressively saved low down to his left hand side by Steve Arnold before Harris bundled the resulting rebound wide of the right post.

Arnold was recalled to the starting line-up after missing Saturday’s setback with a dislocated finger.

Egbri, Shaun Hobson and Will Atkinson were also called into the side with John White dropping down onto the bench and Nathan Ferguson and Harry Phillips missing out altogether.

But, with 17 minutes on the clock, Blues took the lead in bizarre fashion, with Murphy on target for the third game in succession.

The Shrimpers striker stood next to Shots goalkeeper Mitch Walker and blocked his attempted clearance.

But, with everyone inside the stadium expecting referee Adrian Quelch to blow his whistle, play continued and Murphy tapped the ball into an unguarded net for his third goal of the season.

However, Aldershot regrouped after going behind and drew back level in the 37th minute when a driven right wing cross from Alfy Whittingham was diverted into his own goal by Jason Demetriou.

In reply, Shrimpers defender Josh Coulson fired wide of the right post from a narrow angle in the closing action of the first half.

But, after surviving the slight scare, Aldershot were back on top after the break and took the lead in the 50th minute when Coulson was caught out for pace down the left hand side.

Corie Andrews easily sprinted past the Blues centre-back before rolling the ball into the path of Mo Bettamer to fire home from close range.

Shrimpers boss Brown responded by bringing on White in place of Coulson at the heart of the back four but the visitors soon threatened again with Bettamer having a well-taken effort ruled out for offside.

In reply, Blues rarely threatened and, in a bid to improve, the hosts made a double change 10 minutes from time with Louis Walsh and Matt Rush both entering the action with Sam Dalby and Egbri making way.

But Aldershot still looked the stronger of the sides and extended their two minutes from time with Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong charging through to score with a well-taken left footed finish.

Blues hit back with an injury time chip from Demetriou but by then the damage had already been done and fans showed their understandable frustration by chanting for chairman Ron Martin to leave the club.