DESPITE their tough start to the campaign, Billericay Town soared into the FA Cup Third Qualifying Round as they beat Braintree Town 2-1 on Saturday, reports Leon Imber.

Former Billericay striker Femi Akinwande opened the scoring for the Iron, but Darren Foxley levelled the game up late in the first half.

It took until the 86th minute for the decisive goal in the match, George Wind on target for Kevin Watson’s side.

Also through to the next round are Bowers and Pitsea, they beat Bishop’s Stortford by two goals to nil.

Max Cornhill and Michael Ademiluyi scored either side of the half time interval for Rob Small’s side, who make their way into the Third Qualifying Round draw with relative ease.

Concord Rangers were held to a frustrating goalless draw at home to St Albans City.

Chris Search’s side will take part in a replay in Hertfordshire on Tuesday evening.

Also forced to play again are East Thurrock United.

Rocks played out a 2-2 draw at home to Needham Market.

Kenny Aileru opened the scoring in the match for East Thurrock but Needham Market fought back with two second half goals, via a Ben Fowkes brace.

However, the hosts were to seal a replay, as Ben Wyss headed home in the 86th minute to level the game.

Crashing out of the cup in style came Great Wakering Rovers, they were defeated 5-3 by Peterborough Sports at Burroughs Park.

The visitors took an early two goal lead before having their lead cut in half just before the half time interval.

Rovers equalised three minutes after the restart, but couldn’t prevent the onslaught from the visitors which saw them 5-2 up by the 78th minute.

A late goal for Stephen Butterworth’s men proved to be just a consolation in an eventful day of action in the FA Cup.

Elsewhere, in the Isthmian North Division, Hullbridge Sports picked up a point away at Canvey Island.

The action came late in the game, Harrison Chatting’s strike putting Mark Bentley’s side ahead in the 85th minute, only to be cancelled out by JoaoG Carlos’s penalty seven minutes later.

Darren Manning’s side have yet to record a victory this season, but have now drawn two of their last three matches.

Basildon United and Dereham Town couldn’t find a way past one another, as they played out a 0-0 stalemate.

It was a subdued match at Aldiss Park, and a second consecutive draw for John Guyton’s men.

After the elation of achieving their first league win on Monday, Hashtag United came crashing back down to earth as they were beaten 2-0 by Felixstowe and Walton United.

Zak Brown was at the double to put the Tags to the sword.