WESTCLIFF’S winless start to the National Two South season continued with a 46-12 defeat at Barnes.

Westcliff now sit bottom of the standings.

But first team manager Rick Compton feels lessons will be learnt from the setback.

“It was a game that will not live long in the memory and even then, only for the destabilising injuries that derailed our efforts,” said Compton.

“There are lessons to take from the game and we will, but also we will be putting it behind us quickly and focusing on preparing the team for the visit of Henley at the weekend.”

Westcliff were caught on their heels at the start of the game for which they paid a heavy price.

From the kick-off they conceded a penalty at the game’s first break down which was duly converted.

Westcliff made some inroads and threatened to breach the home defence, but the final pass went astray allowing the hosts to escape up field and on 10 minutes they scored the game’s first try which they converted.

The next 10 minutes were calamitous for Westcliff with key injuries in the front and back row which saw both Rory Lane and Regardo Pedro leave the field unable to return.

Their misery was compounded by conceding a further try and penalty to trail 18-0 after the first quarter.

Although hampered by the injuries Westcliff did come more into the game for the rest of the half and threatened to cross the line on more than one occasion.

Again, these ultimately came to nothing and instead, as the half drew to a close, they were forced to defend their own line once more.

A technical offence by Greg Bannister saw the referee brandish a yellow card and the hosts took immediate advantage with a converted try to lead 25-0 at the break.

Despite still being a man down at the start of the second half Westcliff showed adventure which perhaps may have been better served had they awaited their return to a full player compliment.

This proved to be the case in the opening minute when a ball which had been rapidly shifted through hands to the wing was picked off and subsequently run in unopposed under the posts.

Trailing 32-0 and now afflicted by another significant injury to Joe Sexton the game realistically had gone, and they went on to concede a further two tries before a late rally saw them score two tries of their own through Jake Campey and Conor O’Brien.

But a final score of 46-12 reflected a luckless and testing 80 minutes.

Westcliff: Bannister, Hogarth, Campey, Cummins, Ajeigbe, Sexton, Richmond, Meakin, Lynch, Lane, Weston, Scogings, Webber, Dufficy, Pedro.

Replacements: O’Brien, Reynolds B. Reynolds S.Miller & Dane