SOUTHEND United slumped into the National League drop zone after a depressing 2-0 defeat at Solihull Moors this afternoon.

After back to back relegations, Blues are now in bottom three of the National League standings following a fourth successive setback.

And the frustrated travelling contingent of Shrimpers supporters made their feelings known, chanting for under-fire chairman Ron Martin to leave the club.

Martin went behind the goal to confront the angry fans but it was yet another dire 90 minutes for Phil Brown’s side.

Solihull threatened early on with Callum Howe seeing his looping header from Jordan Cranston’s right wing corner tipped over by Blues goalkeeper Steve Arnold.

But the hosts went in front in the 29th minute, courtesy of an own goal from Shrimpers defender Shaun Hobson.

A neat move saw Joe Sbarra dart into the right hand side of the penalty area and his dangerous low cross was diverted into the back of his own net by Hobson while under pressure from Danny Newton.

In reply, the recalled Walsh saw tricked his way past two defenders before seeing his slow shot saved by the legs of Solihull goalkeeper Ryan Boot at his near post.

That aside, Blues rarely looked like scoring as boss Brown was shown a yellow card by referee Tom Bishop for protesting against a foul not being given following a challenge on Abu Ogogo.

After the break, a well struck Cranston free-kick cannoned back off the crossbar before Moors made it 2-0 in the 54th minute, with Ball on target from the penalty spot.

The penalty was given after Sbarra went down in the box following a challenge from Jason Demetriou and Ball made no mistake with a clinical effort into the centre of the goal.

Blues boss Brown responded by making two changes with Sam Dalby taking the place of Rhys Murphy and Matt Dennis replacing the on loan Benji Kimpioka.

Solihull continued to threaten with Newton seeing a low shot cleared off the line by Josh Coulson who then had to be taken off with a nasty looking injury.

But, with Blues already having made all three substitutes, the visitors saw out the closing stages with 10 men.

And Solihull nearly took advantage late on with Jamey Osborne sending a well struck 25 yard shot crashing against the right post.