SOUTHEND United recorded back to back wins for the first time this season after securing a well-deserved 2-1 victory against Yeovil Town at Roots Hall tonight.

Goals from full-backs Jason Demetriou and Tom Clifford saw the Shrimpers build on Saturday's 1-0 victory at Weymouth.

And Kevin Maher's side now sit 18th in the National League standings, seven points clear of the drop zone.

Blues threatened early on with the in-form Matt Dennis sending a low 20 yard shot straight at Yeovil goalkeeper Grant Smith.

Moments later, Smith grabbed a long range effort from former Yeovil striker Rhys Murphy at the second attempt but, with 29 minutes on the clock, the Shrimpers went in front.

Murphy was the provider this time around as he played a pass into Demetriou on the right hand side of the penalty area.

The right-back immediately cut inside and fired a deflected left footed shot into the top left hand corner of the net from 16 yards.

With Blues remaining on top, Murphy soon saw a goalbound effort blocked by Town defender Luke Wilkinson before the hosts came even closer to doubling their lead with Murphy sending a side-footed effort against the left post.

Murphy then also saw an effort from a narrow angle blocked by the legs of Smith at his near post in the closing action of the first half.

Blues then made their first change of the night during the break with Nathan Ferguson replacing Will Atkinson in central midfield.

Chances remained in short supply at the start of the second period, with Murphy curling a long range effort wide of the right post before the Glovers attempted to get back into the game with a double change which saw both Ruben Reid and Joe Quigley enter the action.

However, the Shrimpers still looked the stronger of the two sides and doubled their lead on the hour mark with Clifford on target for the first time this season.

Dennis created the goal with a powerful run into the right hand side of the penalty before delivering a low, cross-shot was picked out an unmarked Clifford to tap home at the far post.

Blues were forced into making their second change of the night in the 76th minute with Matt Rush coming on to replace an injured Murphy who had to helped from the pitch on his way off.

But it was Yeovil substitute Joe Quigley who threatened next as his well-struck shot was superbly kept out by Arnold before Max Hunt saw a well-taken effort ruled out for handball.

The relieved Shrimpers replied by giving Ollie Kensdale his debut as he replaced Dennis four minutes from time before Yeovil got a goal back in the 90th minute with Rueben Reid tapping home.

However, Blues saw out six minutes of injury time to secure all three points.

Southend United: Arnold, Hobson, Lopata, Ralph, Demetriou, Atkinson (Ferguson 46), Neal, Clifford, Dennis (Kensdale 86), Dalby, Murphy (Rush 76) Subs: Coulson & Davies