SOUTHEND United’s first ever FA Trophy campaign ended with a 2-0 defeat at Dagenham & Redbridge this afternoon.

Shrimpers boss Kevin Maher made five changes to his starting line-up for the fourth round clash at Victoria Road.

And the new look Blues were brushed aside by their hosts who scored twice in the second half to earn their place in Monday’s draw.

The match was short of match action but recalled Shrimpers defender Josh Coulson headed a right wing corner from Jason Demetriou over the crossbar inside the opening five minutes.

And, just seconds later, the fit-again defender wasted an even clearer cut chance to score as he was left unmarked in front of goal, following a free-kick from Demetriou, only for his header to be blocked in front of goal.

A dangerous right wing cross from Matt Rush then fizzed across the face of goal before Dagenham replied with Mauro Vilhete seeing a 20 yard shot deflected wide of the left post in the closing action of an uneventful first half.

But, 11 minutes after the break, the hosts broke the deadlock when former Shrimpers winger Myles Weston delivered an inviting cross from the right hand side of the penalty area which found the head of Sagaf who cushioned a well-taken effort into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

The Shrimpers immediately responded by making their first change of the afternoon as Terrell Egbri replaced Rush on the right hand side of the front three.

However, Dagenham remained on top and doubled their lead in the 64th minute when Weston skipped past Coulson down the right hand side before delivering a dangerous low cross to the near post towards Junior Morias.

The Daggers striker saw his initial effort blocked by a sliding Shaun Hobson before reacting sharply to scoop home the rebound.

In the aftermath of the second goal, a Southend fan stormed onto the pitch and confronted the home-side’s supporters in the far corner.

Both sets of supporters then three items towards each other, leading to referee Sam Purkiss to halt the game for close to four minutes with both teams heading back to their respective benches.

After the game restarted the Shrimpers made two changes in quick succession with Tom Clifford replacing Coulson and Louis Walsh taking the place of Dennis.

But by then the damage had already been done but Blues wasted a golden chance to get a goal back in injury time with an unmarked Egbri somehow heading wide of the right post from close range.