CALLUM Powell endured a mixed afternoon as Southend United secured a 1-1 draw with Weymouth at Roots Hall.

Powell brought Blues level with a well-taken effort at the start of the second half but then saw a penalty saved by Ross Fitzsimons as the match ended all square.

The Shrimpers were well on top early on and somehow failed to score during a goalmouth scramble which saw both Lewis Gard and Powell having blocked in front of goal before Joe Gubbins’ header was collected by Weymouth goalkeeper Ross Fitzsimons.

Moments later, Harry Cardwell saw a 20 yard free-kick deflected wide of the right post before the Shrimpers striker headed a left wing cross from Gubbins wide of the left post.

The Shrimpers remained on the front foot with Will Atkinson having a header parried out by Fitzsimons before Powell dragged a left footed shot wide of the right post.

But, after surviving the scares, Weymouth hit back to open the scoring five minutes before the break from their first attack of the afternoon.

A through ball from Omar Mussa sent Josh McQuoid clean through on goal and the midfielder made no mistake with an assured first time finish.

Weymouth remained in front until half-time during which Blues made their first change of the afternoon as Matt Dennis replaced Cardwell in attack.

Blues started the second period on top with Fitzsimons just beating Dennis to Bridge’s ball into the box before Gubbins diverted Harrison Neal’s corner over the crossbar.

But, with 49 minutes on the clock, the Shrimpers drew back level when Dennis neatly played the ball into the path of Powell who fired home a powerful shot into the back of the South Stand net.

Blues made a second change in the 68th minute with midfielder Jon Benton taking the place of Lewis Gard for his first team debut.

And, three minutes after the change, Southend wasted a golden opportunity to go in front when referee Robert Whitton pointed to the spot after Bridge was hauled down in the box.

However, Powell was unable to make the most of the opportunity as his 12 yard shot was easily saved by Fitzsimons low down to his left.

Atkinson then curled a left footed shot wide of the left post before the Shrimpers made their final change in the 82nd minute with Jack Wood taking the place of Powell.

Blues pushed for a late winner with Neal seeing a 20 yard shot easily saved by Fitzsimons but the already relegated visitors hung on to pick up a point.