CONCORD Rangers' wait for a first home league win of 2023 went on as the Beach Boys surrendered a one goal lead to lose 2-1 at home to Essex rivals Chelmsford City.

The game got off to the best possible start for the hosts as with just five minutes on the clock Rob Small's side opened the scoring.

Quentin Monville delivered a tempting cross to the back post where Mo Bettamer was on hand to power home a header into the back of the net.

Chelmsford goalkeeper Eddie Beach was able to get a hand to the ball but the Libyan's header proved too powerful for the Chelsea loanee.

This strike was Bettamer's second in as many games having also scored against Welling United on Saturday.

Four minutes later the Beach Boys went close to doubling their lead in what was an electric start from Concord.

Nana Kyei slid the ball in behind for Jack Thomas and the Bishop's Stortford loanee saw his powerful drive hit the foot of the post.

However as the game progressed Chelmsford grew stronger and with 38 minutes played the Clarets netted an equaliser.

Ody Alfa laid the ball of to Michael Folivi who drilled an effort into the bottom corner past a rooted Mitchell Beeney for his third goal in four games.

Chelmsford came out the second half the stronger side with Robbie Simpson's men forcing Beeney into a number of saves.

Early on a Tyreke Johnson cross was poked towards goal by Folivi.

However Beeney was alert to make a quick reaction save with his legs.

Just past the hour mark Giovanni McGregor played the ball across the edge of the box to Arjanit Krasniqi and the Kosovon's low drive was turned behind by Beeney.

Shortly after this the former England Under 19 international had to make yet another save.

This time Folivi laid the ball off to McGregor who unleashed a rasping effort that was parried onto the woodwork and behind by Beeney.

Concord were just about clinging on and then with 15 minutes left to play the Beach Boys' resistance was finally broken.

A long ball down the line was pounced upon by Alfa and the QPR loanee burst into the area before being pushed to ground by Max Hudson.

This left the referee with no choice but to award a penalty for City.

Folivi stepped up but saw his spot kick saved by Beeney, however this wasn't enough for Concord and McGregor steamed forward to tuck home the rebound from close range for his first goal in Chelmsford colours.

Rangers responded and five minutes later they forced Beach into two quickfire saves.

Kyei toyed with Jazzi Barnum-Bobb before dinking a cross to Ben Williamson.

The experienced forward met the delivery with a powerful header which Beach was equal to with the Welshman making an extraordinary reaction save despite being wrongfooted by Williamson's attempt.

This was enough to seal to seal three points for Chelmsford that ends their five game winless run on the road and also allow the Clarets to move up to fifth in the National League South standings.

Defeat for Concord sees the Beach Boys slip back to the foot of the table with Rangers now winless in their past five meetings with City.

Small's men are back in action on Saturday as second placed Dartford make the trip to the Aspect Arena seeking their first away win in five games.

Concord Rangers: Beeney, Popo (Ogunwamide 83), Thomas, Pollock, Monville, Bettamer, Kyei, Manor (Campbell 60), Hudson, Steward, Hernandez (Williamson 69)