BEAU MacDonald bagged a last gasp winner as Southend United’s under 19 side saw off Maidenhead United 3-2 at Garon Park this afternoon.

Blues twice fought back to equalise with Jack Stone bagging a brace before MacDonald’s last gasp volley secured all three points for the hosts.

And coach Danny Heath was delighted with the victory.

“I'm over the moon for the boys,” said Heath.

“In terms of the league this year it's under 19s and there's no limit as to the number of third years you can have.

“Some teams we've played have all been pretty much third years and we've got none so it’s been tough.

“We've got five or six second years and the rest are all first years but they're getting used to how the teams play now.

“You have to be physical and you have to match the opponents with your running, endeavour and desire which we’ve done here.”

But Maidenhead were still able to pose problems for the Shrimpers.

And Heath felt the visitors were the better side early on before Blues showed good character to fight back.

“They started brightly and passed the ball round quite well,” said Heath.

“They caused us problems in the wide areas but we stuck at it after going 1-0 down.

“That's an improvement on previous weeks when sometimes it's gone two or three.

“We do a lot of work on set plays so we're really pleased to get a goal from one and it was a great delivery from Beau.

“Stoney has worked a lot on his heading recently and he took it well to make it 1-1.”

Blues switched to a back four at the break but it was Maidenhead who soon worked their way in front for the second time.

“The first 15 minutes of the second half the game was pretty much in their half, “said Heath.

“We changed shape to find a solution to them attacking the wide areas and that made a difference but they scored with their first real attempt of the second half.

“Being critical from us the clearance landed to their man where he could hit it first time but he's hit it well with good technique.

“After that it was like we were trying to rush the ball a little bit and we didn't play with much quality.”

However, the Shrimpers rallied late on and were rewarded for their pressure with two late goals.

Stone equalised in the 83rd minute with a close range effort before MacDonald scored with a low, left footed volley from the left hand side of the penalty area to earn praise from Heath.

“The last 10/15 minutes the standard was unbelievable in terms of the passing and moving,” said Heath.

“You worry time was running out a bit to get an equaliser but it was a good bit of play and Stoney was in the right place at the right place.

“At 2-2 you could sense us getting the winner and I’m pleased for Beau.

“He’s done a lot of work recently on his left foot in terms of his passing, crossing and finishing so it was pleasing for him to score with his left foot.”

Blues: Brown, Hammond (c), Jackson, McGonigle (Shehu 73), Bradbury, Hall (Okafor 73), Miller (Faulkner 46) Blake (Molefi 46), Stone, Macdonald, Poxon (Pulham 73).