YORK City substitute Lenell John-Lewis bagged a last minute winner to condemn Southend United to a 1-0 defeat at Roots Hall this afternoon.

In a game of few goalscoring opportunities, Blues were undone late on when John-Lewis smashed the ball home from close range.

And Kevin Maher’s side now sit just one point above the relegation zone.

With 10 minutes on the clock, York striker Dipo Akinyemi sent a looping header inches wide of the right post before Blues hit back with Danny Waldron nodding a left-wing free-kick from Jack Bridge onto the roof of the net.

With play switching back to the other end of the field, a 20 yard volley from Paddy McLaughlin evaded a whole host of bodies in the box before being tipped wide of the right post by Blues goalkeeper Collin Andeng Ndi.

However, the visitors continued to threaten with only a stunning last ditch challenge from James Morton stopping Dipo Akinyemi getting a shot on goal when the striker seemed set to score.

But, just seconds later, the visitors came even closer to breaking the deadlock when a poor clearance from Andeng Ndi was latched onto by Ryan Fallowfield down the right hand side.

His low cross was bizarrely left alone by two Shrimpers defenders before Will Davies sent a close range shot against the right post.

After surviving the scare, Southend hit back on the stroke of half-time with a stretching Nathan Ralph volleying straight at George Skyes-Kenworthy after a long throw from Gus Scott-Morriss was only half cleared.

At the start of the second half, Noor Husin curled a shot wide of the right post before Adam Crowther’s close range header was impressively kept out by Sykes-Kenworthy.

Blues goalkeeper Andeng Ndi then did well to keep hold of a header from Akinyemi before the hosts made their first change of the afternoon in the 74th minute with Henry Sandat replacing Waldron in attack.

Shortly after the change the Shrimpers created a good chance to score with Crowther bringing the ball out from the back and swapping passes with Sandat.

But, with just Sykes-Kenworthy left to beat, Crowther unselfishly tries to roll the ball into the path of Harry Cardwell, only for his pass to be intercepted by a York defender.

In a further bid to break through Blues made a second change in the 74th minute with Marcus Dackers replacing James Morton.

However it was York who were to win it late on as Callum Howe’s header from a left wing Danny Amos corner was kept out by Andeng Ndi – only for John Lewis to smash home the rebound.

There was still time for Blues to almost level but Dackers' header from Bridge's left wing cross was nodded onto the right post by ex Shrimper Alex Woodyard as the visitors held on.