A FIRST HALF brace from Oli Coker and a goal from Harry Cardwell saw Southend United surge to a 3-0 win at Solihull Moors tonight.

The Shrimpers withstood a spell of early pressure from the hosts before taking control and making it 11 matches without defeat.

Fourth placed Solihull came close to taking an early lead when skipper Jamey Osborne sent a deflected free-kick from 25 yards crashing back off the crossbar before the Shrimpers appeared to have another let off just moments later.

Moors forward Tahvon Campbell looked to be clean through on goal before having his shirt pulled back by Gus Scott-Morriss.

But Campbell opted to stay on his feet and referee Greg Rollason waved play on, much to the annoyance of Solihull boss Andy Whing.

Moments later, Joe Sbarra volleyed wide of the left post from 12 yards but the Shrimpers hit back to open the scoring, against the run of play, with Coker on target in the 18th minute.

The midfielder was picked out by a low, left wing cross from Wes Fonguck and scored with a fine right footed shot he guided into the right hand side if the net from eight yards.

Blues soon came close to doubling their lead with Jack Bridge having a left footed shot smartly saved by ex Shrimpers loanee Nick Hayes before his opposite number Collin Andeng Ndi did brilliantly to tip a low shot from Sbarra around the right post.

But, after the surviving the scare, the Shrimpers responded by making it 2-0, in the 37th minute, following a fantastic move which was again finished off by Coker.

The recalled Marcus Dackers played a huge part in the goal as he collected possession just outside his own penalty area before beating two men and passing out to Bridge on the left hand side.

Dackers then collected the ball back from Bridge in the left hand side of the box before crossing for Coker to slam the ball home with a clinical finish from close range.

After the break, ex Shrimper Jon Benton – who lined up at right-back for Moors – saw a curling left footed shot parried away by Andeng Ndi.

But Blues were soon back on top and made it 3-0 in the 66th minute, with Cardwell on target for the 16th time this season.

The striker raced onto a fine through ball from Ollie Kensdale, after the defender had brought it out from the back, and scored with an accurate first time finish.

The Shrimpers immediately made their first change of the night with James Morton coming on for Coker in midfield before Henry Sandat was also introduced in place of Cardwell.

A third change followed with Jack Wood replacing Bridge on the left hand side in the closing stages of what ultimately proved to be a comfortable night for Blues who now sit 10th in the table.