MATT Paterson came in from the cold to fire 10 man Southend United to a 3-1 triumph at Barnet tonight.

The striker has been made available for loan by Blues boss Paul Sturrock and failed to make the Scotsman's last three match-day squads.

But injuries to Barry Corr and Blair Sturrock meant Paterson was back in favour to face the Bees and he responded by bagging a brace as Blues convincingly cruised through to the third round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Not even the dismissal of Bilel Mohsni at the start of the second half could halt Southend's progress against their woeful looking hosts.

And Blues, who were roared on by more than 500 traveling fans, signalled their intentions early on as a well struck 20 yard snap shot from Anthony Grant was smartly smothered by Barnet goalkeeper Jake Cole.

Moments later the Bees keeper palmed away an effort from the recalled Paterson, who was one of four changes made by Sturrock.

Alongside Paterson in attack was Harry Crawford for his first start of the season while goalkeeper Rhys Evans was preferred to Glenn Morris.

The final alteration saw Louie Soares replace the cup tied Michael Timlin in midfield and the new look Blues broke the deadlock in the 22nd minute with a well worked goal.

Mohsni began the move with a square pass to Soares and he charged through the centre of the park before rolling the ball in to the path of Crawford on the right flank.

The young forward then delivered a fine cross in to the path of Paterson who made no mistake with an assured, low first time finish with his right foot from 12 yards.

Three minutes later, Southend came agonisingly close to doubling their lead when Ryan Hall crashed a deflected 30 yard free-kick against the right post and Soares then dragged a fine through ball from Crawford wide of the right post.

But, six minutes in to the second half, Blues were reduced to 10 men as Mohsni was shown a red card for needlessly raising his arms and pushing out at Barnet striker Phil Walsh in an off the ball incident which came after referee Keith Stroud had awarded the home side a free-kick.

That dead ball delivery was struck straight at Evans by Jordan Parkes from 25 yards before Blues reshuffled with Graham Coughlan replacing Crawford to take Mohsni's place at the heart of the back four.

That left Paterson as Southend's lone striker but he doubled his side's lead in the 56th minute when he beat the on-rushing Cole to a long ball forward and lobbed the advancing keeper from the edge of the penalty area.

Blues continued to look composed and almost went even further ahead when Josh Simpson sent a well struck 20 yard shot fizzing just inches over the crossbar.

However, Barnet got themselves back in to the game in the 79th minute when substitute Mauro Vilhete headed home a left wing corner from Parkes.

A grandstand finale seemed on the cards but the Bees' hopes of a dramatic late comeback were to be short-lived as Soares scored his first Southend goal in the 85th minute as he crashed home a deflected 20 yard shot via the underside of the crossbar.