SOUTHEND United’s shocking start to the season continued with a 2-0 defeat against Peterborough United at Roots Hall tonight.

Two second half goals in as many minutes saw the visitors secure their first victory of the season.

But the Shrimpers have still yet to pick up a point after losing their opening four fixtures of the League One campaign.

With nine minutes on the clock, Ivan Toney volleyed over for Posh before the visitors threatened again just moments later with Mohamed Eisa having a curling effort diverted over the crossbar by Blues defender Harry Lennon.

Lennon was one of three changes for the Shrimpers as Brandon Goodship and Ethan Hamilton were also selected in a side which lined in a 4-1-4-1 formation.

The system saw Elvis Bwomono and Goodship both playing wide for Blues but it was the visitors who started on top with George Boyd threatening next as he fired wide of the right post from 20 yards.

Posh came close again in the 22nd minute when Boyd’s diagonal ball forward caused problems in the Shrimpers rearguard with Lennon heading inches wide of his own goal after an error of misjudgement by goalkeeper Nathan Bishop.

In reply, Hamilton then fired wide of the right post from long range and, on the stroke of half-time the hosts came even closer to taking the lead when Goodship cut in from the left hand side before firing inches wide of the left post from 18 tards.

Posh replied at the start of the second half with Boyd sending a long range effort against the foot of the right post before Blues hit back with Goodship firing wide of the right upright after being teed up by Sam Mantom’s cross-field pass.

But, after surviving the scares, Peterborough broke the deadlock in the 55th minute when a fine left wing cross from Marcus Maddison enabled Mohamed Eisa to tap the ball home from close range.

And the visitors were celebrating just two minutes later when Maddison’s fine diagonal ball into the box was chested down by Toney before the striker sent a fine effort into the left hand side of the net.

Eisa then saw a low effort smartly saved by Bishop before Blues made their first change of the night in the 64th minute as Stephen Humphrys replaced White.

Two further changes followed with Andre Blackman replacing an injured looking Nathan Ralph and Layton Ndukwu taking the place of Goodship but the Shrimpers still found it tough.

At the other end, Peterborough substitute Siriki Dembele sliced wide when well placed just inside the penalty area before Blues came close to netting a late consolation when Blues captain Mark Milligan headed Mantom’s left wing corner against the crossbar from six yards.

Southend United (4-1-4-1): Bishop, White (Humphrys 64), Shaughnessy, Lennon, Ralph (Blackman 72), Milligan, Bwomono, Mantom, Hamilton, Goodship (Nduwku 73), Cox Subs not used: Oxley, Hyam Kelman & Robinson Attendance: 5,890 (383 from Peterborough)