SOUTHEND United slumped to a sixth defeat in seven games, losing 4-1 to MK Dons in the second round of the Carabao Cup.

Dons led 2-0 at the break with before Brandon Goodship brought Blues back into the game with a close-range effort at the start of the second half.

But the visitors struck twice late on to pile more misery on the out of form Shrimpers.

Dons started the tie brightly with Jordan Bowery having an effort kept out by Nathan Bishop before Alex Gilbey also saw a shot pushed wide of the target by the Blues custodian.

In reply, Stephen Humphrys fired Simon Cox’s right wing cross wide of the target before Cox himself saw a well struck left foot shot pushed wide of the left post by Stuart Moore.

But, after surviving the scares, Dons hit back to break the deadlock in the 35th minute when Rhys Healey brought the ball onto his left foot before netting with a deflected effort into the left hand side of the net.

Blues replied with Humphrys having a header held by Moore before the visitors doubled their lead in the 41st minute when a fine move ended with Callum Brittain sending an impressive long range effort into the top left hand corner of the net via the underside of the crossbar.

The Shrimpers replied with Ethan Hamilton having a low shot diverted wide of the left post in the closing action of the first half.

In a bid to fight back, Blues made a change at the break with Elvis Bwomono replacing the fit-again Jason Demetriou at right-back.

Southend started the second half brightly with Humphrys having a swerving free-kick pushed out by Moore who then did well to save Hamilton’s deflected effort with his legs.

Hamilton then fizzed a long range shot inches over the crossbar before the Shrimpers wasted an even clearer chance to score with Harry Lennon heading wide of the right post from close range.

The visitors replied with Kieran Agard being denied by Bishop before Blues got back in the game in the 54th minute when a fine move saw Cox roll a pass into the path of Humphrys whose low cross was tapped home at the far post by Goodship.

The goal saw the striker on target for the second game in succession before the Shrimpers made their second change in the 68th minute with Layton Ndukwu taking the place of Andre Blackman.

Moments after the alteration, Humphrys sent a low, long range shot wide of the left post before the Blues striker also headed over from close range.

With Blues continuing to push for an equaliser, Bwomono saw a prodded effort kept out by Moore.

But Dons stood firm and extended their lead in the 82nd minute when Hiram Boateng worked his way into the left hand side of the penalty area before firing a low shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

And the visitors sealed their win in stoppage time with a powerful effort from Sam Nombe.