GARY Waddock does not want Southend United’s heads to drop following this afternoon’s 3-1 defeat at Gillingham.

The Shrimpers sit second from bottom in the League One standings with just four points from their first 11 games of the season.

But Waddock is keen for Blues to keep fighting.

“It’s another defeat but there were spells in the second half where you couldn’t fault the players’ attitude and approach to it,” said Waddock.

“We had them rocking for a little bit but things aren’t going our way at the moment.

“But we have to keep our heads held high and continue to work hard to turn this situation around.

“It’s still early in the season and there are still lots of points to play for too.”

The Shrimpers started slowly at the Priestfield Stadium and found themselves 2-0 down at the start of the second half before Simon Cox halved the hosts’ lead.

However, a red card to substitute Emile Acquah hit Blues’ hopes of an equaliser.

But Waddock was most frustrated by how his side started the game. “We were under the cosh in the first half,” said Waddock.

“We had a chat at half-time and then within a minute of the second half we concede another goal and go 2-0 down.

“It gave us a mountain to climb but we changed the system and it put them on the back foot.

“The players responded and we back in the game but unfortunately the red card made it hard for us.”

Gillingham striker Mikael Ndjoli went on to miss two penalties but Blues were unable to take advantage as the hosts made their extra man count by scoring a third goal late on.

“Everything was stacked against us,” said Waddock.

“They missed the two penalties and you think come on then let’s turn this around but things haven’t gone our way since the start of the season.

“It’s a tough spell for us at present.”

However, Waddock remains unsure if a permanent manager is about to be appointed.

“I have nothing to say because I don’t know myself,” said Waddock.

“I’m sure when the chairman makes the decision you’ll be the first to know.”