COLD weather accompanied by occasional rain failed to put a dampener on a thrilling near 11 hours of top quality football at Southend United’s Roots Hall home.

The occasion was the annual staging of the Southend Junior League Cup finals where big crowds who attended were treated to six excellent battles for trophies.

The action started at 9.30am where the A sides of Catholic United and Trinity Youth did battle, with the former winning 2-0 thanks to a brace from Alex Margiotta.

Trinity’s Sam Bartley was named player of the match and Catholic collected the Roy Chaplin Cup for their success.

Next came the fight for the under-12 Malcolm Stockwell Memorial Cup and this match, between Trinity Youth and Basildon Town, proved the reason why the day’s action continued until 8.10pm when it was due to end nearly an hour-and-a-half earlier.

The gripping action finished 0-0 at the end of normal play and extra-time.

Trinity eventually won the penalty shoot-out 7-6, but Basildon’s top quality goalkeeper Jack Green was named man of the match.

Canvey Island Youth looked on their way to a big win in the under-16 contest for the Prospects College Cup when they led 2-0 early on thanks to goals from Michael Finneran and Danny Brown.

But opponents Wickford Town dug deep and 2-0 remained the score throughout with Brown getting the top player prize.

Deanswood Youth A took the under-15 Konica Minolta Cup when they beat Stadium United 3-1 to add to their under-14 success last year.

Tom Rowe, Billy Hurford and Jack Ayre were the marksmen to do the damage with Rhys Hodgson replying.

The under-14 final for the cup donated by Trinity Youth FC ended in a 2-0 victory for Basildon Boys over Great Wakering Rovers Colts.

The goals came from Nick Henesy and Tommy Welsh, with the winning side’s Kieran Gutsell being star player.

The last match of the day, the under-13 fight for the Arcadian Corporation Limited Cup, was generally reckoned to be the best of the finals by spectators.

After Jack Stacey had given Basildon’s Trinity United the first-half lead, the action flowed from end to end before opponents Rayleigh Boys eventually had to concede defeat at 1-0.

Rayleigh’s James Buckley was named man of the match.

“The last final was a fitting end to a great day’s football,” said league chairman Peter Harris.

“Somehow the cold and wet summed up the conditions we’ve generally suffered in what has generally been a miserable season weather-wise.