Ukip eyes up Independent coalition in Southend

Ukip eye up running council

Ukip eye up running council

First published in News

UKIP say they have their eyes on a deal with Southend’s Independents next year to take power in a joint administration.

The Eurosceptic party, which until May had no representation on Southend Council, is now looking to take power in a year’s time.

The party, led by James Moyies, secured five seats at the May local elections, with the group making huge advances across all of south Essex.

The Tories lost power, with an Independent, Lib Dem, and Labour coalition now in control of the borough.

Mr Moyies, who was elected in West Shoebury, said: “I think it would be feasible for us, if we make enough gains, to go into a joint power with the Independents, because it will mean an administration that isn’t held back by party considerations.

“I look forward to making more gains next year and, with the seats we are targeting, I would expect us to become a large group on the council.”

Mr Moyies revealed there were early discussions about joining the rainbowadministration, but this was quashed by Labour and the Lib Dems.

He hopes his party could raise their standing to around eight or nine seats in next year’s election, and then be in a position to do business with the Independents – but did not say which seats Ukip has got their eyes on. Ukip has supported some of the Independent’s early policies – including a review into the closure of care homes and the Shoebury seawall project, but these were in the anti EU party’s manifesto.

Mr Moyies added: “They are policies that were in our manifesto and if us being elected ensures those reviews are done, then I think we could say it was the right decision for people to vote for us.

Martin Terry, spokesman for the Independent party on Southend Council, said: “I think in the coming months people will find out that Ukip are not the two-headed monster some people make out.

“I’m not going to rule anything in, and I’m not going to rule anything out.”

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:34pm Mon 4 Aug 14

emcee says...

Why does the Echo (and many others for that matter) insist on referring to the Independants as a "party". They are NOT a "party". They are a group of independantly minded people (the clue is there somewhere if you care to look), who can make decisions independently without consideration of party policy. And that is their whole point... they are INDEPENDENT.
Refer to them as Independents, the Independent Group or a group of Independents but the are NOT, repeat NOT and Independent "party".
Why does the Echo (and many others for that matter) insist on referring to the Independants as a "party". They are NOT a "party". They are a group of independantly minded people (the clue is there somewhere if you care to look), who can make decisions independently without consideration of party policy. And that is their whole point... they are INDEPENDENT. Refer to them as Independents, the Independent Group or a group of Independents but the are NOT, repeat NOT and Independent "party". emcee
  • Score: 1

2:47pm Mon 4 Aug 14

DAGASMAN says...

UKIP you say? *awaits the usual morons implying a points-based immigration policy is akin to genocide*
UKIP you say? *awaits the usual morons implying a points-based immigration policy is akin to genocide* DAGASMAN
  • Score: 8

3:13pm Mon 4 Aug 14

ThisYear says...

DAGASMAN wrote:
UKIP you say? *awaits the usual morons implying a points-based immigration policy is akin to genocide*
Does not your post invite exactly what you would rather not have...ie opposing comments.

Have you evidence of what you claim?
[quote][p][bold]DAGASMAN[/bold] wrote: UKIP you say? *awaits the usual morons implying a points-based immigration policy is akin to genocide*[/p][/quote]Does not your post invite exactly what you would rather not have...ie opposing comments. Have you evidence of what you claim? ThisYear
  • Score: -14

3:31pm Mon 4 Aug 14

RuleBritania says...

Good on UKIP and good on Southend.
I'm so pleased the UK is starting to wake up to the realities of what Labour and The conservatives have done to this country and pleased the town I live in is leading the way.
Good on UKIP and good on Southend. I'm so pleased the UK is starting to wake up to the realities of what Labour and The conservatives have done to this country and pleased the town I live in is leading the way. RuleBritania
  • Score: 31

3:37pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Jack222 says...

UKIP - their support is already dropping markedly. Let's not forget in the last European election over 80% of the country voted against them.
UKIP - their support is already dropping markedly. Let's not forget in the last European election over 80% of the country voted against them. Jack222
  • Score: -29

5:09pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Matthew S. Dent says...

emcee wrote:
Why does the Echo (and many others for that matter) insist on referring to the Independants as a "party". They are NOT a "party". They are a group of independantly minded people (the clue is there somewhere if you care to look), who can make decisions independently without consideration of party policy. And that is their whole point... they are INDEPENDENT.
Refer to them as Independents, the Independent Group or a group of Independents but the are NOT, repeat NOT and Independent "party".
They have a leader, who in opposition grew a party leader's salary, they all use uniform campaign literature, and sit as a block in the chamber. They want the benefits of being a party, but at the same time to hold onto the electoral advantage of being able to stand in front of voters and say "I'm independent, guv."

They're a party in all but name, and it's dishonest to claim otherwise.
[quote][p][bold]emcee[/bold] wrote: Why does the Echo (and many others for that matter) insist on referring to the Independants as a "party". They are NOT a "party". They are a group of independantly minded people (the clue is there somewhere if you care to look), who can make decisions independently without consideration of party policy. And that is their whole point... they are INDEPENDENT. Refer to them as Independents, the Independent Group or a group of Independents but the are NOT, repeat NOT and Independent "party".[/p][/quote]They have a leader, who in opposition grew a party leader's salary, they all use uniform campaign literature, and sit as a block in the chamber. They want the benefits of being a party, but at the same time to hold onto the electoral advantage of being able to stand in front of voters and say "I'm independent, guv." They're a party in all but name, and it's dishonest to claim otherwise. Matthew S. Dent
  • Score: 6

7:05pm Mon 4 Aug 14

1nails says...

COME ON NIGEL. YOU REALLY COULD SET A PRECEDENT HERE IN SOUTHEND. !!!!!!!!! THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER. !!!
COME ON NIGEL. YOU REALLY COULD SET A PRECEDENT HERE IN SOUTHEND. !!!!!!!!! THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER. !!! 1nails
  • Score: 20

8:54pm Mon 4 Aug 14

jayman says...

1nails wrote:
COME ON NIGEL. YOU REALLY COULD SET A PRECEDENT HERE IN SOUTHEND. !!!!!!!!! THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER. !!!
UKIP are about as credible as the 'South Essex pedestrian, transverse inclined Crossings party' or 'SEPTIC,P' I just made them up, still more credible then UKIP. They have a manifesto and they are against the privatisation of the NHS. That's two things UKIP cant boast about.
[quote][p][bold]1nails[/bold] wrote: COME ON NIGEL. YOU REALLY COULD SET A PRECEDENT HERE IN SOUTHEND. !!!!!!!!! THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER. !!![/p][/quote]UKIP are about as credible as the 'South Essex pedestrian, transverse inclined Crossings party' or 'SEPTIC,P' I just made them up, still more credible then UKIP. They have a manifesto and they are against the privatisation of the NHS. That's two things UKIP cant boast about. jayman
  • Score: -13

9:03pm Mon 4 Aug 14

jayman says...

1nails wrote:
COME ON NIGEL. YOU REALLY COULD SET A PRECEDENT HERE IN SOUTHEND. !!!!!!!!! THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER. !!!
THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER. ???

how?

the Tories said

WERE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER

The Tory front bench and their ilk, are considerably richer!

Westminster is basically a grand chamber for a higher order of azeholes.
local politics is nothing more then a microcosm of this. UKIP are a ragtag collection of mid to far right odd-balls who shouldn't be allowed near the petty cash tin let alone the seat of power.
[quote][p][bold]1nails[/bold] wrote: COME ON NIGEL. YOU REALLY COULD SET A PRECEDENT HERE IN SOUTHEND. !!!!!!!!! THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER. !!![/p][/quote]THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER. ??? how? the Tories said WERE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER The Tory front bench and their ilk, are considerably richer! Westminster is basically a grand chamber for a higher order of azeholes. local politics is nothing more then a microcosm of this. UKIP are a ragtag collection of mid to far right odd-balls who shouldn't be allowed near the petty cash tin let alone the seat of power. jayman
  • Score: -15

3:20am Tue 5 Aug 14

Southchurch75 says...

Thank God I'm leaving Southend and the UK to live elsewhere!
Thank God I'm leaving Southend and the UK to live elsewhere! Southchurch75
  • Score: -8

8:39am Tue 5 Aug 14

Kim Gandy says...

ThisYear wrote:
DAGASMAN wrote:
UKIP you say? *awaits the usual morons implying a points-based immigration policy is akin to genocide*
Does not your post invite exactly what you would rather not have...ie opposing comments.

Have you evidence of what you claim?
Why do you ask Norris?

I have never seen you present a single FACT on anything you comment on. You are a fascist who largely attacks others' point of view.

My own personal point of view, having encountered Moyies, is that he is an anti English misogynist (he is a Scottish nationalist that abhors English nationalism) who has a problem with any female who has a stronger opinion than his wishy washy left wing brand of politics.

Sorry to kill any myths here but not everyone in UKIP has the true UKIP agenda at heart. These days, the party is full of UAF lefties (with a few exceptions), including some in the Wickford group that are openly left wing and consort with Labour. No prizes for guessing who.

This is why I let my membership lapse. I didn't want to buy into a party of "fruitcakes and swivel eyed loons", however, not of the right wing extremist variety like most people THINK they are - but more of the left wing fascist variety. This includes their so called "management" and youth wing.

Moyies put up a poor number of candidates as usual and the "huge advances in South Essex" mentioned in the above report was mainly secured by the Basildon group whose 11 gains in Basildon catapulted Labour and the Libdems into obscurity and was the best result in the entire country.

It is UKIP's victory that has put Labour into a tailspin and is the reason behind all the muck raking, backstabbing and trouble stirring at the Bas Centre. The lefties are feeling sore and rather than just pick themselves and get on with it, instead have to bellyache and caterwaul. And their claims of a "coalition" every time UKIP and the Conservatives share no overall control of a council are ridiculous in the extreme.

The Basildon group, in the main, are real UKIPpers with I would say, three misogynist lefties in their number, including ex Labour carpet baggers.

I hope this puts paid to the usual whingers on here that like to mouth off about my alleged political leanings.

Once and for all, I detest ALL party politics. I vote for politicians who have the best interests of the public at heart, not careerists, carpetbaggers and people who would wear any coloured rosette as long as it gets them elected.

In truth I abhor all party politics as EVERY and I mean EVERY, political party in this country is infested with politically correct rabid lefties and I wouldn't be seen dead consorting with such creatures.

I speak as I find, regardless of rosette.
[quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DAGASMAN[/bold] wrote: UKIP you say? *awaits the usual morons implying a points-based immigration policy is akin to genocide*[/p][/quote]Does not your post invite exactly what you would rather not have...ie opposing comments. Have you evidence of what you claim?[/p][/quote]Why do you ask Norris? I have never seen you present a single FACT on anything you comment on. You are a fascist who largely attacks others' point of view. My own personal point of view, having encountered Moyies, is that he is an anti English misogynist (he is a Scottish nationalist that abhors English nationalism) who has a problem with any female who has a stronger opinion than his wishy washy left wing brand of politics. Sorry to kill any myths here but not everyone in UKIP has the true UKIP agenda at heart. These days, the party is full of UAF lefties (with a few exceptions), including some in the Wickford group that are openly left wing and consort with Labour. No prizes for guessing who. This is why I let my membership lapse. I didn't want to buy into a party of "fruitcakes and swivel eyed loons", however, not of the right wing extremist variety like most people THINK they are - but more of the left wing fascist variety. This includes their so called "management" and youth wing. Moyies put up a poor number of candidates as usual and the "huge advances in South Essex" mentioned in the above report was mainly secured by the Basildon group whose 11 gains in Basildon catapulted Labour and the Libdems into obscurity and was the best result in the entire country. It is UKIP's victory that has put Labour into a tailspin and is the reason behind all the muck raking, backstabbing and trouble stirring at the Bas Centre. The lefties are feeling sore and rather than just pick themselves and get on with it, instead have to bellyache and caterwaul. And their claims of a "coalition" every time UKIP and the Conservatives share no overall control of a council are ridiculous in the extreme. The Basildon group, in the main, are real UKIPpers with I would say, three misogynist lefties in their number, including ex Labour carpet baggers. I hope this puts paid to the usual whingers on here that like to mouth off about my alleged political leanings. Once and for all, I detest ALL party politics. I vote for politicians who have the best interests of the public at heart, not careerists, carpetbaggers and people who would wear any coloured rosette as long as it gets them elected. In truth I abhor all party politics as EVERY and I mean EVERY, political party in this country is infested with politically correct rabid lefties and I wouldn't be seen dead consorting with such creatures. I speak as I find, regardless of rosette. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 7

10:00am Tue 5 Aug 14

Howard Cháse says...

Front page headline has 'Ruining' spelled incorrectly....
Front page headline has 'Ruining' spelled incorrectly.... Howard Cháse
  • Score: 0

12:12pm Tue 5 Aug 14

ThisYear says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
ThisYear wrote:
DAGASMAN wrote:
UKIP you say? *awaits the usual morons implying a points-based immigration policy is akin to genocide*
Does not your post invite exactly what you would rather not have...ie opposing comments.

Have you evidence of what you claim?
Why do you ask Norris?

I have never seen you present a single FACT on anything you comment on. You are a fascist who largely attacks others' point of view.

My own personal point of view, having encountered Moyies, is that he is an anti English misogynist (he is a Scottish nationalist that abhors English nationalism) who has a problem with any female who has a stronger opinion than his wishy washy left wing brand of politics.

Sorry to kill any myths here but not everyone in UKIP has the true UKIP agenda at heart. These days, the party is full of UAF lefties (with a few exceptions), including some in the Wickford group that are openly left wing and consort with Labour. No prizes for guessing who.

This is why I let my membership lapse. I didn't want to buy into a party of "fruitcakes and swivel eyed loons", however, not of the right wing extremist variety like most people THINK they are - but more of the left wing fascist variety. This includes their so called "management" and youth wing.

Moyies put up a poor number of candidates as usual and the "huge advances in South Essex" mentioned in the above report was mainly secured by the Basildon group whose 11 gains in Basildon catapulted Labour and the Libdems into obscurity and was the best result in the entire country.

It is UKIP's victory that has put Labour into a tailspin and is the reason behind all the muck raking, backstabbing and trouble stirring at the Bas Centre. The lefties are feeling sore and rather than just pick themselves and get on with it, instead have to bellyache and caterwaul. And their claims of a "coalition" every time UKIP and the Conservatives share no overall control of a council are ridiculous in the extreme.

The Basildon group, in the main, are real UKIPpers with I would say, three misogynist lefties in their number, including ex Labour carpet baggers.

I hope this puts paid to the usual whingers on here that like to mouth off about my alleged political leanings.

Once and for all, I detest ALL party politics. I vote for politicians who have the best interests of the public at heart, not careerists, carpetbaggers and people who would wear any coloured rosette as long as it gets them elected.

In truth I abhor all party politics as EVERY and I mean EVERY, political party in this country is infested with politically correct rabid lefties and I wouldn't be seen dead consorting with such creatures.

I speak as I find, regardless of rosette.
"why do you ask"

The point is; why do you ask?

Have you got some reason to feel you need to defend and speak for UKIP?

I thought they made it clear that you were person non grata with them...how that must humiliate, being rejected even by a party such as that..LOL

The fact yo say you have never seen me present a fact is par for the course with your delusional state..

Heres a fact for you...some parents from a primary school removed their children from the school in an apartheid action against children from another culture attending...FACT

You never reply when asked if were you party to that act? FACT

Care to deal with those FACTS or will you flee the thread (FACT) now the disgusting and sick action against little children has been highlighted again?


As for the rest of the rant..can we accept them as the ramblings of a 'fruitcake and swivel-eyed loon' ?
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DAGASMAN[/bold] wrote: UKIP you say? *awaits the usual morons implying a points-based immigration policy is akin to genocide*[/p][/quote]Does not your post invite exactly what you would rather not have...ie opposing comments. Have you evidence of what you claim?[/p][/quote]Why do you ask Norris? I have never seen you present a single FACT on anything you comment on. You are a fascist who largely attacks others' point of view. My own personal point of view, having encountered Moyies, is that he is an anti English misogynist (he is a Scottish nationalist that abhors English nationalism) who has a problem with any female who has a stronger opinion than his wishy washy left wing brand of politics. Sorry to kill any myths here but not everyone in UKIP has the true UKIP agenda at heart. These days, the party is full of UAF lefties (with a few exceptions), including some in the Wickford group that are openly left wing and consort with Labour. No prizes for guessing who. This is why I let my membership lapse. I didn't want to buy into a party of "fruitcakes and swivel eyed loons", however, not of the right wing extremist variety like most people THINK they are - but more of the left wing fascist variety. This includes their so called "management" and youth wing. Moyies put up a poor number of candidates as usual and the "huge advances in South Essex" mentioned in the above report was mainly secured by the Basildon group whose 11 gains in Basildon catapulted Labour and the Libdems into obscurity and was the best result in the entire country. It is UKIP's victory that has put Labour into a tailspin and is the reason behind all the muck raking, backstabbing and trouble stirring at the Bas Centre. The lefties are feeling sore and rather than just pick themselves and get on with it, instead have to bellyache and caterwaul. And their claims of a "coalition" every time UKIP and the Conservatives share no overall control of a council are ridiculous in the extreme. The Basildon group, in the main, are real UKIPpers with I would say, three misogynist lefties in their number, including ex Labour carpet baggers. I hope this puts paid to the usual whingers on here that like to mouth off about my alleged political leanings. Once and for all, I detest ALL party politics. I vote for politicians who have the best interests of the public at heart, not careerists, carpetbaggers and people who would wear any coloured rosette as long as it gets them elected. In truth I abhor all party politics as EVERY and I mean EVERY, political party in this country is infested with politically correct rabid lefties and I wouldn't be seen dead consorting with such creatures. I speak as I find, regardless of rosette.[/p][/quote]"why do you ask" The point is; why do you ask? Have you got some reason to feel you need to defend and speak for UKIP? I thought they made it clear that you were person non grata with them...how that must humiliate, being rejected even by a party such as that..LOL The fact yo say you have never seen me present a fact is par for the course with your delusional state.. Heres a fact for you...some parents from a primary school removed their children from the school in an apartheid action against children from another culture attending...FACT You never reply when asked if were you party to that act? FACT Care to deal with those FACTS or will you flee the thread (FACT) now the disgusting and sick action against little children has been highlighted again? As for the rest of the rant..can we accept them as the ramblings of a 'fruitcake and swivel-eyed loon' ? ThisYear
  • Score: -6

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree