Updated: A127 underpass at Rayleigh Weir closed after flooding

Echo: Section of A127 closed due to flood water Section of A127 closed due to flood water

A section of the A127 under Rayleigh Weir has been closed.

Traffic is being diverted over Rayleigh Weir after the underpass flooded.  

The westbound carriageway of the road has been closed and traffic is being diverted off the dual carriageway and over the roundabout.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:27pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Yachtsman says...

Is this another Echo mis report What has the Rayle9igh Weir got to do with Southend Council. Surely Essex County Council would would put in road closure at that point
Is this another Echo mis report What has the Rayle9igh Weir got to do with Southend Council. Surely Essex County Council would would put in road closure at that point Yachtsman

4:30pm Fri 14 Feb 14

black jack ketchum says...

We have just driven through Rayleigh weir & its not closed at the moment
We have just driven through Rayleigh weir & its not closed at the moment black jack ketchum

4:42pm Fri 14 Feb 14

PWPH says...

There are no bridges at Rayleigh weir, it's an underpass!

Echo reporting at it's finest.
There are no bridges at Rayleigh weir, it's an underpass! Echo reporting at it's finest. PWPH

7:26pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Kim Gandy says...

What again?

And the roundabout above it is constantly flooded on the southbound section.

Time it got sorted.

Rodney Bass only accepts emails from other councillors so no luck there!
What again? And the roundabout above it is constantly flooded on the southbound section. Time it got sorted. Rodney Bass only accepts emails from other councillors so no luck there! Kim Gandy

7:29pm Fri 14 Feb 14

morbeous says...

The road is not fully open. I went past just over half an hour ago and only one lane was open. I've now heard it's fully closed
The road is not fully open. I went past just over half an hour ago and only one lane was open. I've now heard it's fully closed morbeous

8:16pm Fri 14 Feb 14

QuestionTime says...

If it's not the underpass it's the road on top that gets flooded, both very easily. Essex Council are totally responsible for the poor design/construction and should get off their backsides and sort the problem out at their expense and not the rate payers.
If it's not the underpass it's the road on top that gets flooded, both very easily. Essex Council are totally responsible for the poor design/construction and should get off their backsides and sort the problem out at their expense and not the rate payers. QuestionTime

10:18pm Fri 14 Feb 14

mannii says...

just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding
just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding mannii

10:39pm Fri 14 Feb 14

You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat says...

mannii wrote:
just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding
Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage.
[quote][p][bold]mannii[/bold] wrote: just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding[/p][/quote]Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage. You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat

11:29pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Rossco189 says...

You'dfeelbetterforkn
owingthat
wrote:
mannii wrote:
just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding
Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage.
Why should other peoples homes get ruined if coucils can't clear brooks and flood water gets pumped I get that the brook is used for that but I think that your comment is out of line for all of us that have had to suffer for others lack of maintaining... And where does the homes drainage come into this... The drainage didn't cause the brook to flood did it...
[quote][p][bold]You'dfeelbetterforkn owingthat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mannii[/bold] wrote: just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding[/p][/quote]Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage.[/p][/quote]Why should other peoples homes get ruined if coucils can't clear brooks and flood water gets pumped I get that the brook is used for that but I think that your comment is out of line for all of us that have had to suffer for others lack of maintaining... And where does the homes drainage come into this... The drainage didn't cause the brook to flood did it... Rossco189

12:28pm Sat 15 Feb 14

Letmetryagain says...

QuestionTime wrote:
If it's not the underpass it's the road on top that gets flooded, both very easily. Essex Council are totally responsible for the poor design/construction and should get off their backsides and sort the problem out at their expense and not the rate payers.
The inside lane of the roundabout gets flooded every time it rains, to a depth of about 3 inches.
People still won't drive through it though.
[quote][p][bold]QuestionTime[/bold] wrote: If it's not the underpass it's the road on top that gets flooded, both very easily. Essex Council are totally responsible for the poor design/construction and should get off their backsides and sort the problem out at their expense and not the rate payers.[/p][/quote]The inside lane of the roundabout gets flooded every time it rains, to a depth of about 3 inches. People still won't drive through it though. Letmetryagain

1:15pm Sat 15 Feb 14

chunkus04 says...

Rossco189 wrote:
You'dfeelbetterforkn

owingthat
wrote:
mannii wrote:
just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding
Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage.
Why should other peoples homes get ruined if coucils can't clear brooks and flood water gets pumped I get that the brook is used for that but I think that your comment is out of line for all of us that have had to suffer for others lack of maintaining... And where does the homes drainage come into this... The drainage didn't cause the brook to flood did it...
if you decide to live near or on a brook then you should be prepared to clear the bitt closest to you yourself, this country's finances are in a sorry state, all anyone can do is whinge that the council are not doing there bit! how about you start doing your bit if you are able. this is one of the reason this country is on its knees, because everyone states "its not my problem" well it is if its your house that's getting flooded!
[quote][p][bold]Rossco189[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]You'dfeelbetterforkn owingthat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mannii[/bold] wrote: just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding[/p][/quote]Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage.[/p][/quote]Why should other peoples homes get ruined if coucils can't clear brooks and flood water gets pumped I get that the brook is used for that but I think that your comment is out of line for all of us that have had to suffer for others lack of maintaining... And where does the homes drainage come into this... The drainage didn't cause the brook to flood did it...[/p][/quote]if you decide to live near or on a brook then you should be prepared to clear the bitt closest to you yourself, this country's finances are in a sorry state, all anyone can do is whinge that the council are not doing there bit! how about you start doing your bit if you are able. this is one of the reason this country is on its knees, because everyone states "its not my problem" well it is if its your house that's getting flooded! chunkus04

4:07pm Sat 15 Feb 14

Rossco189 says...

chunkus04 wrote:
Rossco189 wrote:
You'dfeelbetterforkn


owingthat
wrote:
mannii wrote:
just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding
Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage.
Why should other peoples homes get ruined if coucils can't clear brooks and flood water gets pumped I get that the brook is used for that but I think that your comment is out of line for all of us that have had to suffer for others lack of maintaining... And where does the homes drainage come into this... The drainage didn't cause the brook to flood did it...
if you decide to live near or on a brook then you should be prepared to clear the bitt closest to you yourself, this country's finances are in a sorry state, all anyone can do is whinge that the council are not doing there bit! how about you start doing your bit if you are able. this is one of the reason this country is on its knees, because everyone states "its not my problem" well it is if its your house that's getting flooded!
Sorry but your completely wrong, if there is a pot hole outside your house and it's damaging your car would you fill in the pot hole.. NO Didn't think so..., if someone was to go clear the brook and gets injured what would you say then?? "Shouldn't of been down there?" may I mention the brook along daws heath IS clear along daws Heath and that oil drums and lorry tyres were to blame for the blockages when the weir was pumped, is that our job to walk from the weir all the way to Rochford to clear it no I think not so if you would like to air your views to all the houses along the brook I'm sure they ALL will be more than welcome to listen to you!!!
[quote][p][bold]chunkus04[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rossco189[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]You'dfeelbetterforkn owingthat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mannii[/bold] wrote: just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding[/p][/quote]Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage.[/p][/quote]Why should other peoples homes get ruined if coucils can't clear brooks and flood water gets pumped I get that the brook is used for that but I think that your comment is out of line for all of us that have had to suffer for others lack of maintaining... And where does the homes drainage come into this... The drainage didn't cause the brook to flood did it...[/p][/quote]if you decide to live near or on a brook then you should be prepared to clear the bitt closest to you yourself, this country's finances are in a sorry state, all anyone can do is whinge that the council are not doing there bit! how about you start doing your bit if you are able. this is one of the reason this country is on its knees, because everyone states "its not my problem" well it is if its your house that's getting flooded![/p][/quote]Sorry but your completely wrong, if there is a pot hole outside your house and it's damaging your car would you fill in the pot hole.. NO Didn't think so..., if someone was to go clear the brook and gets injured what would you say then?? "Shouldn't of been down there?" may I mention the brook along daws heath IS clear along daws Heath and that oil drums and lorry tyres were to blame for the blockages when the weir was pumped, is that our job to walk from the weir all the way to Rochford to clear it no I think not so if you would like to air your views to all the houses along the brook I'm sure they ALL will be more than welcome to listen to you!!! Rossco189

4:15pm Sat 15 Feb 14

ReverendLovejoy says...

To be honest, i don't care about anyone else s homes who live near a brook. If they suffer some flooding in order for me to use the roads like normal, then so be it.

You can claim from the government to put up flood defense for the future.

When i bought my house i made a point of buying near an area that isnt in a flood plain, it pays to do your research. IF you happen to live in a council house on a flood plain, you have no grounds to moan if you get flooded, freeloader.
To be honest, i don't care about anyone else s homes who live near a brook. If they suffer some flooding in order for me to use the roads like normal, then so be it. You can claim from the government to put up flood defense for the future. When i bought my house i made a point of buying near an area that isnt in a flood plain, it pays to do your research. IF you happen to live in a council house on a flood plain, you have no grounds to moan if you get flooded, freeloader. ReverendLovejoy

4:33pm Sat 15 Feb 14

chunkus04 says...

Rossco189 wrote:
chunkus04 wrote:
Rossco189 wrote:
You'dfeelbetterforkn



owingthat
wrote:
mannii wrote:
just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding
Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage.
Why should other peoples homes get ruined if coucils can't clear brooks and flood water gets pumped I get that the brook is used for that but I think that your comment is out of line for all of us that have had to suffer for others lack of maintaining... And where does the homes drainage come into this... The drainage didn't cause the brook to flood did it...
if you decide to live near or on a brook then you should be prepared to clear the bitt closest to you yourself, this country's finances are in a sorry state, all anyone can do is whinge that the council are not doing there bit! how about you start doing your bit if you are able. this is one of the reason this country is on its knees, because everyone states "its not my problem" well it is if its your house that's getting flooded!
Sorry but your completely wrong, if there is a pot hole outside your house and it's damaging your car would you fill in the pot hole.. NO Didn't think so..., if someone was to go clear the brook and gets injured what would you say then?? "Shouldn't of been down there?" may I mention the brook along daws heath IS clear along daws Heath and that oil drums and lorry tyres were to blame for the blockages when the weir was pumped, is that our job to walk from the weir all the way to Rochford to clear it no I think not so if you would like to air your views to all the houses along the brook I'm sure they ALL will be more than welcome to listen to you!!!
YES I would fix a pot hole out side my house if it meant preventing further damage to my property, like wise if I live near a brook and it was block threatening my property I would clear said blockage, but then that's because I just get on with what life throws at me and not look at someone else to blame/do everything for me!!
[quote][p][bold]Rossco189[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]chunkus04[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rossco189[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]You'dfeelbetterforkn owingthat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mannii[/bold] wrote: just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding[/p][/quote]Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage.[/p][/quote]Why should other peoples homes get ruined if coucils can't clear brooks and flood water gets pumped I get that the brook is used for that but I think that your comment is out of line for all of us that have had to suffer for others lack of maintaining... And where does the homes drainage come into this... The drainage didn't cause the brook to flood did it...[/p][/quote]if you decide to live near or on a brook then you should be prepared to clear the bitt closest to you yourself, this country's finances are in a sorry state, all anyone can do is whinge that the council are not doing there bit! how about you start doing your bit if you are able. this is one of the reason this country is on its knees, because everyone states "its not my problem" well it is if its your house that's getting flooded![/p][/quote]Sorry but your completely wrong, if there is a pot hole outside your house and it's damaging your car would you fill in the pot hole.. NO Didn't think so..., if someone was to go clear the brook and gets injured what would you say then?? "Shouldn't of been down there?" may I mention the brook along daws heath IS clear along daws Heath and that oil drums and lorry tyres were to blame for the blockages when the weir was pumped, is that our job to walk from the weir all the way to Rochford to clear it no I think not so if you would like to air your views to all the houses along the brook I'm sure they ALL will be more than welcome to listen to you!!![/p][/quote]YES I would fix a pot hole out side my house if it meant preventing further damage to my property, like wise if I live near a brook and it was block threatening my property I would clear said blockage, but then that's because I just get on with what life throws at me and not look at someone else to blame/do everything for me!! chunkus04

4:43pm Sat 15 Feb 14

Freeloader???? says...

ReverendLovejoy wrote:
To be honest, i don't care about anyone else s homes who live near a brook. If they suffer some flooding in order for me to use the roads like normal, then so be it.

You can claim from the government to put up flood defense for the future.

When i bought my house i made a point of buying near an area that isnt in a flood plain, it pays to do your research. IF you happen to live in a council house on a flood plain, you have no grounds to moan if you get flooded, freeloader.
I personally was not affected by flooding but Your comment is so inconsiderate! So what about if it was a family or friend affected? Would u still not care as long as you get to use a road! Also nor am I a council tenant however what makes them not have any grounds moan? If your gonna make a comment I would suggest not to presume and at least make it valid as not all the houses are council owned but I don't see why u want to offend council tenants!
[quote][p][bold]ReverendLovejoy[/bold] wrote: To be honest, i don't care about anyone else s homes who live near a brook. If they suffer some flooding in order for me to use the roads like normal, then so be it. You can claim from the government to put up flood defense for the future. When i bought my house i made a point of buying near an area that isnt in a flood plain, it pays to do your research. IF you happen to live in a council house on a flood plain, you have no grounds to moan if you get flooded, freeloader.[/p][/quote]I personally was not affected by flooding but Your comment is so inconsiderate! So what about if it was a family or friend affected? Would u still not care as long as you get to use a road! Also nor am I a council tenant however what makes them not have any grounds moan? If your gonna make a comment I would suggest not to presume and at least make it valid as not all the houses are council owned but I don't see why u want to offend council tenants! Freeloader????

4:59pm Sat 15 Feb 14

Freeloader???? says...

chunkus04 wrote:
Rossco189 wrote:
chunkus04 wrote:
Rossco189 wrote:
You'dfeelbetterforkn




owingthat
wrote:
mannii wrote:
just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding
Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage.
Why should other peoples homes get ruined if coucils can't clear brooks and flood water gets pumped I get that the brook is used for that but I think that your comment is out of line for all of us that have had to suffer for others lack of maintaining... And where does the homes drainage come into this... The drainage didn't cause the brook to flood did it...
if you decide to live near or on a brook then you should be prepared to clear the bitt closest to you yourself, this country's finances are in a sorry state, all anyone can do is whinge that the council are not doing there bit! how about you start doing your bit if you are able. this is one of the reason this country is on its knees, because everyone states "its not my problem" well it is if its your house that's getting flooded!
Sorry but your completely wrong, if there is a pot hole outside your house and it's damaging your car would you fill in the pot hole.. NO Didn't think so..., if someone was to go clear the brook and gets injured what would you say then?? "Shouldn't of been down there?" may I mention the brook along daws heath IS clear along daws Heath and that oil drums and lorry tyres were to blame for the blockages when the weir was pumped, is that our job to walk from the weir all the way to Rochford to clear it no I think not so if you would like to air your views to all the houses along the brook I'm sure they ALL will be more than welcome to listen to you!!!
YES I would fix a pot hole out side my house if it meant preventing further damage to my property, like wise if I live near a brook and it was block threatening my property I would clear said blockage, but then that's because I just get on with what life throws at me and not look at someone else to blame/do everything for me!!
Who said that the brook was blocked in the first place? Apparently the brook got blocked when the water was pumped from the road! So what your saying is when the wated all of sudden gushed down the brook residents should have run out to clear the brook ha Also I'm sure if you was to fix a pot hole outside your property council would have something to say, due to it not being done sufficiently meaning if some suffered an injury to damage they could claim further! Which I know much to your surprise people shouldn't do!! So pretty sure you moan to council to fix it! Well done on having a can do attitude though ha!
[quote][p][bold]chunkus04[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rossco189[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]chunkus04[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rossco189[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]You'dfeelbetterforkn owingthat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mannii[/bold] wrote: just please don't pump into Eastwood brook again as some houses and bungalows near me are still suffering from the August bank holiday flooding[/p][/quote]Im afraid the road takes presidence as this major road cannot remain closed, for properties built in a flood plain are, they should have been built with adequate drainage.[/p][/quote]Why should other peoples homes get ruined if coucils can't clear brooks and flood water gets pumped I get that the brook is used for that but I think that your comment is out of line for all of us that have had to suffer for others lack of maintaining... And where does the homes drainage come into this... The drainage didn't cause the brook to flood did it...[/p][/quote]if you decide to live near or on a brook then you should be prepared to clear the bitt closest to you yourself, this country's finances are in a sorry state, all anyone can do is whinge that the council are not doing there bit! how about you start doing your bit if you are able. this is one of the reason this country is on its knees, because everyone states "its not my problem" well it is if its your house that's getting flooded![/p][/quote]Sorry but your completely wrong, if there is a pot hole outside your house and it's damaging your car would you fill in the pot hole.. NO Didn't think so..., if someone was to go clear the brook and gets injured what would you say then?? "Shouldn't of been down there?" may I mention the brook along daws heath IS clear along daws Heath and that oil drums and lorry tyres were to blame for the blockages when the weir was pumped, is that our job to walk from the weir all the way to Rochford to clear it no I think not so if you would like to air your views to all the houses along the brook I'm sure they ALL will be more than welcome to listen to you!!![/p][/quote]YES I would fix a pot hole out side my house if it meant preventing further damage to my property, like wise if I live near a brook and it was block threatening my property I would clear said blockage, but then that's because I just get on with what life throws at me and not look at someone else to blame/do everything for me!![/p][/quote]Who said that the brook was blocked in the first place? Apparently the brook got blocked when the water was pumped from the road! So what your saying is when the wated all of sudden gushed down the brook residents should have run out to clear the brook ha Also I'm sure if you was to fix a pot hole outside your property council would have something to say, due to it not being done sufficiently meaning if some suffered an injury to damage they could claim further! Which I know much to your surprise people shouldn't do!! So pretty sure you moan to council to fix it! Well done on having a can do attitude though ha! Freeloader????

6:50pm Sat 15 Feb 14

You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
What again?

And the roundabout above it is constantly flooded on the southbound section.

Time it got sorted.

Rodney Bass only accepts emails from other councillors so no luck there!
Though Mo Larkin accepts both calls and texts, even during two minute silences, anyway back to the story in hand, the Weir floods due to two simple facts, in a dip and heavy rain
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: What again? And the roundabout above it is constantly flooded on the southbound section. Time it got sorted. Rodney Bass only accepts emails from other councillors so no luck there![/p][/quote]Though Mo Larkin accepts both calls and texts, even during two minute silences, anyway back to the story in hand, the Weir floods due to two simple facts, in a dip and heavy rain You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree