Zig zag line parking fines soar: Spy cars catch three times as many flouting no-parking zones at schools

Echo: Education – Castle Point councillor Colin Riley, above, says his council’s policy is to persuade drivers to obey the law, rather than fining them Education – Castle Point councillor Colin Riley, above, says his council’s policy is to persuade drivers to obey the law, rather than fining them

SPY cars helped catch more than 1,000 motorists parked illegally on zig-zag lines outside schools in Southend last year.

The 1,049 total – more than three times the figure recorded two years before – was revealed in a Freedom of Information Act request put in by insurance firmAxa as part of its Road Safe Schools campaign.

No separate figures are available for fines directly attributable to spy cars, as opposed to parking wardens on foot, but the totals appear to speak for themselves. In 2011, the year the cars began to be used, just 326 £70 fines were issued for parking in zig-zag safety zones.

The spy cars have been the subject of constant criticism ever since they were introduced in 2011 to clamp down of parking infringements.

However, Tony Cox, who was the councillor responsible for transport when the cars were brought in, thinks the figures show the hugely-unpopular cars are having a positive effect.

Tory Mr Cox, who lost his seat in last week’s elections, explained: “One of the main reasons the cars were brought in originally was to tackle drivers parking on the zig-zags.

“This was a priority for us and the fact they appear to be catching so many is helping get the message across that parking on the lines is a big no-no.

“The number being caught is very large and what I would like to see now is that figure come down again.

“Although the CCTV cars are catching people in the act, it still means a lot of people are still flouting the law.”

The town’s headteachers have also welcomed the news so many inconsiderate drivers are being punished for parking outside schools.

Pauline Lucas, head of Leigh North Street Junior School, said she hoped the figures would act as a deterrent.

Mrs Lucas said: “Parking outside schools is a real concern for me, especially in terms of people parking on the zig-zags.

“Sometimes it feels like it’s an accident waiting to happen.” 

While the spy cars seem to be helping to keep schoolchildren safe, complaints still abound about their use, with critics claiming they are merely used to earn money for the council.

In March, parents of children at Shoebury High School complained after being snapped by a spy car as they stopped at a zebra crossing to allow pedestrians to cross. At the time the council merely referred angry drivers to the official appeal procedure for those unhappy with their fines.

Totals have come down elsewhere

FIGURES for other parts of south Essex show fewer drivers being caught parking on zig-zag lines last year.

In Castle Point, where spy cars do not operate, only one driver was fined all year, while in other areas the number being fined decreased between 2011 and 2013.

South Essex Parking Partnership figures recorded a solitary fixed penalty notice in Castle Point – against a driver caught outside Woodham Ley Primary School in Rushbottom Lane, Benfleet.

In Basildon, which does have spy cars, 24 people were fined in 2012, but only six last year. Colin Riley, Castle Point Council’s representative on the South Essex Parking Partnership, said he was surprised by the figures.

The Victoria ward councillor said: “If I amquite frank, the figures do seem to be very low.

£I will enquire with South Essex Parking Partnership about them.

“We do take the approach though in the borough that we talk to parents and drivers about it, rather than handing out fines. We find this works well.

“Other councils may look at this as a money-making scheme, but we don’t.”

A ten-fold increase was recorded in the number of fines issued in Thurrock over the past 12 months.

Last year, 281 fines were handed out, compared to 26 in 2012 and 20 in 2011.

The increase coincides with the arrival of the borough’s own spy car, known as Pippa – short for Park It Properly, Prevent Accidents – last year.

In Rochford district, where the council doesn’t use spy cars, there was a small increase in the number of fines, with 18 issued in 2012 and 34 in 2013.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:41am Wed 28 May 14

CarnMountification says...

And this figure was lenient, could have been a few thou more, just goes to show they are trying to get a simple message across, DO NOT PARK ON ZIG ZAGS
And this figure was lenient, could have been a few thou more, just goes to show they are trying to get a simple message across, DO NOT PARK ON ZIG ZAGS CarnMountification
  • Score: 15

9:43am Wed 28 May 14

Howard Cháse says...

Good.
Good. Howard Cháse
  • Score: 14

9:49am Wed 28 May 14

Who gives a fuuck - Not Me says...

Howard Cháse wrote:
Good.
If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are.
[quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: Good.[/p][/quote]If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are. Who gives a fuuck - Not Me
  • Score: -20

10:30am Wed 28 May 14

Chris Flunk says...

Who gives a fuuck - Not Me wrote:
Howard Cháse wrote: Good.
If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are.
Strong words from someone who purportedly doesn't give a . . .

Did a nasty traffic warden upset you? Did he tell you off for riding your bike on the pavement?
[quote][p][bold]Who gives a fuuck - Not Me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: Good.[/p][/quote]If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are.[/p][/quote]Strong words from someone who purportedly doesn't give a . . . Did a nasty traffic warden upset you? Did he tell you off for riding your bike on the pavement? Chris Flunk
  • Score: 22

11:48am Wed 28 May 14

pembury53 says...

always good to see the 'school run' take a hammering, keep it up until it sinks in, don't park there or MAKE THEM WALK TO SCHOOL !!!
always good to see the 'school run' take a hammering, keep it up until it sinks in, don't park there or MAKE THEM WALK TO SCHOOL !!! pembury53
  • Score: 22

11:52am Wed 28 May 14

Who gives a fuuck - Not Me says...

Chris Flunk wrote:
Who gives a fuuck - Not Me wrote:
Howard Cháse wrote: Good.
If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are.
Strong words from someone who purportedly doesn't give a . . .

Did a nasty traffic warden upset you? Did he tell you off for riding your bike on the pavement?
If a nasty traffic warden upset me as you very well put it, my nasty fist will meet his nasty face and it will be a nasty outcome. And yes, you are correct, I sometimes do ride on the pavement, nearly knocking people over as I do so. Read my name, Who gives a fuuck - Not Me!
[quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Who gives a fuuck - Not Me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: Good.[/p][/quote]If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are.[/p][/quote]Strong words from someone who purportedly doesn't give a . . . Did a nasty traffic warden upset you? Did he tell you off for riding your bike on the pavement?[/p][/quote]If a nasty traffic warden upset me as you very well put it, my nasty fist will meet his nasty face and it will be a nasty outcome. And yes, you are correct, I sometimes do ride on the pavement, nearly knocking people over as I do so. Read my name, Who gives a fuuck - Not Me! Who gives a fuuck - Not Me
  • Score: -10

12:11pm Wed 28 May 14

NoNameOrHaveI says...

Join "Canvey Crap Driving & Parking" on Facebook, plenty more examples there.
Join "Canvey Crap Driving & Parking" on Facebook, plenty more examples there. NoNameOrHaveI
  • Score: 3

12:28pm Wed 28 May 14

Southend Andy says...

Who gives a fuuck - Not Me wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
Who gives a fuuck - Not Me wrote:
Howard Cháse wrote: Good.
If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are.
Strong words from someone who purportedly doesn't give a . . .

Did a nasty traffic warden upset you? Did he tell you off for riding your bike on the pavement?
If a nasty traffic warden upset me as you very well put it, my nasty fist will meet his nasty face and it will be a nasty outcome. And yes, you are correct, I sometimes do ride on the pavement, nearly knocking people over as I do so. Read my name, Who gives a fuuck - Not Me!
Think we have too change your name to attention seaker, didn't mummy or daddy give you enough attention when you were a baby? Did daddy leave mummy? Ahh come here we can all give Mr attention seaker a nice big hug (hugs given)
[quote][p][bold]Who gives a fuuck - Not Me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Who gives a fuuck - Not Me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: Good.[/p][/quote]If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are.[/p][/quote]Strong words from someone who purportedly doesn't give a . . . Did a nasty traffic warden upset you? Did he tell you off for riding your bike on the pavement?[/p][/quote]If a nasty traffic warden upset me as you very well put it, my nasty fist will meet his nasty face and it will be a nasty outcome. And yes, you are correct, I sometimes do ride on the pavement, nearly knocking people over as I do so. Read my name, Who gives a fuuck - Not Me![/p][/quote]Think we have too change your name to attention seaker, didn't mummy or daddy give you enough attention when you were a baby? Did daddy leave mummy? Ahh come here we can all give Mr attention seaker a nice big hug (hugs given) Southend Andy
  • Score: 14

1:15pm Wed 28 May 14

rayleigh123 says...

To show the mentality of some parents - there was a copper in a nice standing by the ZigZags at our locaal scholl. A women parked on the ZigZags and walked her two little off-springs into the school.

When she came out she had a ticket - her language was BLUE
To show the mentality of some parents - there was a copper in a nice standing by the ZigZags at our locaal scholl. A women parked on the ZigZags and walked her two little off-springs into the school. When she came out she had a ticket - her language was BLUE rayleigh123
  • Score: 7

1:46pm Wed 28 May 14

Robin Reliant says...

Pauline Lucas, head of Leigh North Street Junior School, said she hoped the figures would act as a deterrent.

Mrs Lucas said: “Parking outside schools is a real concern for me, especially in terms of people parking on the zig-zags.
-----------------

its the same lazy parents that do this day in day out, the school has no control over it, the same type of parent that park over peoples drive ways, on corners, on yellows, the schools should send out 2 teachers and take note of number plates on the cars and name and shame them in weekly news letters if the schools are that concerned, it will work, the CCTV cars can not be at every school, parents are the menaces and the baddy's in this and not the parking enforcement, every school has this problem.
Pauline Lucas, head of Leigh North Street Junior School, said she hoped the figures would act as a deterrent. Mrs Lucas said: “Parking outside schools is a real concern for me, especially in terms of people parking on the zig-zags. ----------------- its the same lazy parents that do this day in day out, the school has no control over it, the same type of parent that park over peoples drive ways, on corners, on yellows, the schools should send out 2 teachers and take note of number plates on the cars and name and shame them in weekly news letters if the schools are that concerned, it will work, the CCTV cars can not be at every school, parents are the menaces and the baddy's in this and not the parking enforcement, every school has this problem. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 10

2:38pm Wed 28 May 14

Touch79 says...

I really wish that Castle Point BC would start to properly enforce the parking restrictions at Benfleet Station. It's ridiculous that you can sit in gridlocked traffic for several minutes caused by those stopped on the double yellows.

Start giving out tickets or stick a camera up.
I really wish that Castle Point BC would start to properly enforce the parking restrictions at Benfleet Station. It's ridiculous that you can sit in gridlocked traffic for several minutes caused by those stopped on the double yellows. Start giving out tickets or stick a camera up. Touch79
  • Score: 5

3:56pm Wed 28 May 14

andy:) says...

Im not supporting parking on yellow lines but surely this story shows that the CCTV car is NOT having the desired (or intended) effect which is to stop people parking illegally not just raise money
Im not supporting parking on yellow lines but surely this story shows that the CCTV car is NOT having the desired (or intended) effect which is to stop people parking illegally not just raise money andy:)
  • Score: -1

4:09pm Wed 28 May 14

the25man says...

The foot patrol wardens take time to issue tickets and have to go up to the car where as the camera car takes seconds and he driver won't know he's got a ticket on the way. If you let somebody out on the zig zag lines you have stopped and parked up even if the traffic has stopped. You can't move whist somebody is getting out so you have parked.
MORE Camera cars the better outside all schools
The foot patrol wardens take time to issue tickets and have to go up to the car where as the camera car takes seconds and he driver won't know he's got a ticket on the way. If you let somebody out on the zig zag lines you have stopped and parked up even if the traffic has stopped. You can't move whist somebody is getting out so you have parked. MORE Camera cars the better outside all schools the25man
  • Score: 6

4:29pm Wed 28 May 14

Who gives a fuuck - Not Me says...

Southend Andy wrote:
Who gives a fuuck - Not Me wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
Who gives a fuuck - Not Me wrote:
Howard Cháse wrote: Good.
If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are.
Strong words from someone who purportedly doesn't give a . . .

Did a nasty traffic warden upset you? Did he tell you off for riding your bike on the pavement?
If a nasty traffic warden upset me as you very well put it, my nasty fist will meet his nasty face and it will be a nasty outcome. And yes, you are correct, I sometimes do ride on the pavement, nearly knocking people over as I do so. Read my name, Who gives a fuuck - Not Me!
Think we have too change your name to attention seaker, didn't mummy or daddy give you enough attention when you were a baby? Did daddy leave mummy? Ahh come here we can all give Mr attention seaker a nice big hug (hugs given)
I think you need some more English lessons. Attention SEEKER actually. And I'm not SEEKING attention, it's just my way of thinking and how I view the world. Fuuck off before i'll be SEEKING you. Tw@t.
[quote][p][bold]Southend Andy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Who gives a fuuck - Not Me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Who gives a fuuck - Not Me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: Good.[/p][/quote]If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are.[/p][/quote]Strong words from someone who purportedly doesn't give a . . . Did a nasty traffic warden upset you? Did he tell you off for riding your bike on the pavement?[/p][/quote]If a nasty traffic warden upset me as you very well put it, my nasty fist will meet his nasty face and it will be a nasty outcome. And yes, you are correct, I sometimes do ride on the pavement, nearly knocking people over as I do so. Read my name, Who gives a fuuck - Not Me![/p][/quote]Think we have too change your name to attention seaker, didn't mummy or daddy give you enough attention when you were a baby? Did daddy leave mummy? Ahh come here we can all give Mr attention seaker a nice big hug (hugs given)[/p][/quote]I think you need some more English lessons. Attention SEEKER actually. And I'm not SEEKING attention, it's just my way of thinking and how I view the world. Fuuck off before i'll be SEEKING you. Tw@t. Who gives a fuuck - Not Me
  • Score: -2

4:32pm Wed 28 May 14

runwellian says...

Don't break the law and you won't get fined ... simple when you think about it!
Don't break the law and you won't get fined ... simple when you think about it! runwellian
  • Score: 6

4:59pm Wed 28 May 14

Who gives a fuuck - Not Me says...

runwellian wrote:
Don't break the law and you won't get fined ... simple when you think about it!
I park where I like, when I like. If I get a ticket I just refuse to pay it. Nothing more happens then a few threatening letters then that's it.
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: Don't break the law and you won't get fined ... simple when you think about it![/p][/quote]I park where I like, when I like. If I get a ticket I just refuse to pay it. Nothing more happens then a few threatening letters then that's it. Who gives a fuuck - Not Me
  • Score: -5

5:42pm Wed 28 May 14

CarnMountification says...

More spy cars on the way, according to my friends...more revenue need for the summer ball.
More spy cars on the way, according to my friends...more revenue need for the summer ball. CarnMountification
  • Score: 1

5:52pm Wed 28 May 14

the25man says...

Who gives a fuuck - Not Me wrote:
runwellian wrote:
Don't break the law and you won't get fined ... simple when you think about it!
I park where I like, when I like. If I get a ticket I just refuse to pay it. Nothing more happens then a few threatening letters then that's it.
What a waste of time your comments are. Cuckoo land comes to mind
[quote][p][bold]Who gives a fuuck - Not Me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: Don't break the law and you won't get fined ... simple when you think about it![/p][/quote]I park where I like, when I like. If I get a ticket I just refuse to pay it. Nothing more happens then a few threatening letters then that's it.[/p][/quote]What a waste of time your comments are. Cuckoo land comes to mind the25man
  • Score: 5

6:38pm Wed 28 May 14

Steve H says...

Who gives a fuuck - Not Me wrote:
Southend Andy wrote:
Who gives a fuuck - Not Me wrote:
Chris Flunk wrote:
Who gives a fuuck - Not Me wrote:
Howard Cháse wrote: Good.
If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are.
Strong words from someone who purportedly doesn't give a . . .

Did a nasty traffic warden upset you? Did he tell you off for riding your bike on the pavement?
If a nasty traffic warden upset me as you very well put it, my nasty fist will meet his nasty face and it will be a nasty outcome. And yes, you are correct, I sometimes do ride on the pavement, nearly knocking people over as I do so. Read my name, Who gives a fuuck - Not Me!
Think we have too change your name to attention seaker, didn't mummy or daddy give you enough attention when you were a baby? Did daddy leave mummy? Ahh come here we can all give Mr attention seaker a nice big hug (hugs given)
I think you need some more English lessons. Attention SEEKER actually. And I'm not SEEKING attention, it's just my way of thinking and how I view the world. Fuuck off before i'll be SEEKING you. Tw@t.
Oooo we have ourselves a badass here lol

Mind you, it is the school holidays ;)
[quote][p][bold]Who gives a fuuck - Not Me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Southend Andy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Who gives a fuuck - Not Me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris Flunk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Who gives a fuuck - Not Me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: Good.[/p][/quote]If you are condoning these jobsworth idiots, you are just as much of a tw@t as they are.[/p][/quote]Strong words from someone who purportedly doesn't give a . . . Did a nasty traffic warden upset you? Did he tell you off for riding your bike on the pavement?[/p][/quote]If a nasty traffic warden upset me as you very well put it, my nasty fist will meet his nasty face and it will be a nasty outcome. And yes, you are correct, I sometimes do ride on the pavement, nearly knocking people over as I do so. Read my name, Who gives a fuuck - Not Me![/p][/quote]Think we have too change your name to attention seaker, didn't mummy or daddy give you enough attention when you were a baby? Did daddy leave mummy? Ahh come here we can all give Mr attention seaker a nice big hug (hugs given)[/p][/quote]I think you need some more English lessons. Attention SEEKER actually. And I'm not SEEKING attention, it's just my way of thinking and how I view the world. Fuuck off before i'll be SEEKING you. Tw@t.[/p][/quote]Oooo we have ourselves a badass here lol Mind you, it is the school holidays ;) Steve H
  • Score: 6

3:22am Thu 29 May 14

J Arthur Rank says...

I've heard of paedophile and the US pedophile but "peadophile"??
I've heard of paedophile and the US pedophile but "peadophile"?? J Arthur Rank
  • Score: 2

6:56am Fri 30 May 14

alarminstaller says...

Why the hell can't people take more responsibility for their actions when it comes to the safety of our kids?

There will always be a section of our society that just does not either think or care about anyone other than themselves, unfortunately that is why we have the need for enforcement policies, they are the same brainless people that cannot think for themselves and they need traffic signs and enforcement procedures be it cars or anything else.
They are the same people that blame others for their pathetic and selfish life styles, like blaming security at Southend Airport when they forget to check if it is their own passport.
We have become a society that has bred a minority of irresponsible, selfish lazy people, it is just a shame they spoil it for everyone else.
Why the hell can't people take more responsibility for their actions when it comes to the safety of our kids? There will always be a section of our society that just does not either think or care about anyone other than themselves, unfortunately that is why we have the need for enforcement policies, they are the same brainless people that cannot think for themselves and they need traffic signs and enforcement procedures be it cars or anything else. They are the same people that blame others for their pathetic and selfish life styles, like blaming security at Southend Airport when they forget to check if it is their own passport. We have become a society that has bred a minority of irresponsible, selfish lazy people, it is just a shame they spoil it for everyone else. alarminstaller
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree