Couple sentenced for handling stolen goods following burglaries in Southend

Couple sentenced for handling stolen goods following burglaries in Southend

Couple sentenced for handling stolen goods following burglaries in Southend

First published in News
Last updated
by

A COUPLE who admitted handling stolen goods after police found a haul of jewellery have been sentenced.

Mark Barrett, 34, and girlfriend, Nicola Finnigan, 32, were charged in January with handling stolen goods following a number of burglaries in Southend, including one at the home of an elderly woman who later died.

Police found a haul of necklaces, bracelets and watches which they believed to have been stolen during burglaries in the Southend, Basildon and Rochford at the couple’s home in Fairmead Avenue, Westcliff.

The couple were sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Thursday, July 24, after pleading guilty at Southend Crown Court in June.

Barrett was handed a 15-month imprisonment, suspended for two years after pleading guilty to four counts of handling stolen goods.

He was also ordered to carry out 100 hours unpaid community work, with his 10pm-6am house curfew in place for three months.

Finnigan was handed 12-month imprisonment, suspended for one year after pleading guilty to five counts of handling stolen goods.

A woman in her 70s had her home in Westcliff burgled in December 2013. She died earlier this year from natural causes.

Anyone who believes they have been the victim of a burglary or who has been offered jewellery in unusual circumstances should contact detectives at Southend police station on 101, email andy.copley@essex.pnn.police.ukor if they have information to contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:22am Sun 27 Jul 14

CHRISTMAS CAROL says...

WHY SUSPENDED
WHY SUSPENDED CHRISTMAS CAROL
  • Score: 8

11:44am Sun 27 Jul 14

supermadmax says...

Lol - That's a deterrent to change their ways and a warning to others !

Its almost like the courts wants to keep criminals on the street in the knowledge that they will keep re offending and the courts busy therefore guaranteeing job security and over time for them.

One judge even fell asleep during a rape trail this week - whilst the victim was giving evidence. These people think they are untouchable - its about time they were elected.
Lol - That's a deterrent to change their ways and a warning to others ! Its almost like the courts wants to keep criminals on the street in the knowledge that they will keep re offending and the courts busy therefore guaranteeing job security and over time for them. One judge even fell asleep during a rape trail this week - whilst the victim was giving evidence. These people think they are untouchable - its about time they were elected. supermadmax
  • Score: 12

12:18pm Sun 27 Jul 14

Kim Gandy says...

Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.
Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 4

12:27pm Sun 27 Jul 14

danger2013 says...

This is the correct sentence for handling stolen goods. They are not guilty of the burglaries just the handling.
This is the correct sentence for handling stolen goods. They are not guilty of the burglaries just the handling. danger2013
  • Score: -20

12:53pm Sun 27 Jul 14

Robin Reliant says...

Sure the police did their utmost to find evidence for the more serious charges, but couldn't tie anything in, thats how it goes.
Sure the police did their utmost to find evidence for the more serious charges, but couldn't tie anything in, thats how it goes. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 3

1:14pm Sun 27 Jul 14

ThisYear says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.
You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so?

Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to......

Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You?

I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.[/p][/quote]You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so? Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to...... Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You? I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree? ThisYear
  • Score: -18

1:19pm Sun 27 Jul 14

Nebs says...

Why is the sentence for 4 counts of handling more harsh than that for 5 counts of handling.
Why is the sentence for 4 counts of handling more harsh than that for 5 counts of handling. Nebs
  • Score: 1

1:45pm Sun 27 Jul 14

DAGASMAN says...

ThisYear wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.
You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so?

Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to......

Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You?

I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?
You could say that about anything, thats like saying "you want shops to sell food because you eat food, how self-obsessed"
[quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.[/p][/quote]You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so? Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to...... Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You? I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?[/p][/quote]You could say that about anything, thats like saying "you want shops to sell food because you eat food, how self-obsessed" DAGASMAN
  • Score: 1

5:42pm Sun 27 Jul 14

runwellian says...

ThisYear wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.
You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so?

Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to......

Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You?

I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?
And i think anyone that is so opinionated should be silenced!

You contradict your own statements so many times but then that si what we have come to exepect from you.!
[quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.[/p][/quote]You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so? Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to...... Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You? I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?[/p][/quote]And i think anyone that is so opinionated should be silenced! You contradict your own statements so many times but then that si what we have come to exepect from you.! runwellian
  • Score: 1

6:00pm Sun 27 Jul 14

Devils Advocate says...

Well firstly lets lock them up and throw away the key, then we could move to the good old deporting, then perhaps the cutting off of hands ceremony, and lastly, if they have stolen on two occasions, we could hang them. Then we really are back to the year 900 AD. What? we are being robbed by far worse than these and I personally don't own too much in the way of Bling so not too bothered. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see the outcome of the case where a young lad has been killed on our roads. So many crimes involving violence and dangerous or careless driving are now taking place and here you all are, same old suspects trying to bring back hanging over a bit of glitter. Especially "Hang-'em high Rich bird! Councillors taking my land and flogging it off to give themselves lower rates get my goat, now if ever there was a case for hanging .......
Well firstly lets lock them up and throw away the key, then we could move to the good old deporting, then perhaps the cutting off of hands ceremony, and lastly, if they have stolen on two occasions, we could hang them. Then we really are back to the year 900 AD. What? we are being robbed by far worse than these and I personally don't own too much in the way of Bling so not too bothered. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see the outcome of the case where a young lad has been killed on our roads. So many crimes involving violence and dangerous or careless driving are now taking place and here you all are, same old suspects trying to bring back hanging over a bit of glitter. Especially "Hang-'em high Rich bird! Councillors taking my land and flogging it off to give themselves lower rates get my goat, now if ever there was a case for hanging ....... Devils Advocate
  • Score: 1

7:05pm Sun 27 Jul 14

ThisYear says...

runwellian wrote:
ThisYear wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.
You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so?

Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to......

Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You?

I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?
And i think anyone that is so opinionated should be silenced!

You contradict your own statements so many times but then that si what we have come to exepect from you.!
So you dont mind a person having opinions but not too many opinions.

How many would you allow per person?

Would the person be able to ask questions, as i did in my post, or would that be pushing the your allowance to far?

Can you provide ONE contradiction? Out of all the contradictions you claim Im guilty of? Can you?

Who is this "we" you speak off? Do you know them?

Perhaps you should always expect the unexpected..OR get your facts right.
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.[/p][/quote]You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so? Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to...... Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You? I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?[/p][/quote]And i think anyone that is so opinionated should be silenced! You contradict your own statements so many times but then that si what we have come to exepect from you.![/p][/quote]So you dont mind a person having opinions but not too many opinions. How many would you allow per person? Would the person be able to ask questions, as i did in my post, or would that be pushing the your allowance to far? Can you provide ONE contradiction? Out of all the contradictions you claim Im guilty of? Can you? Who is this "we" you speak off? Do you know them? Perhaps you should always expect the unexpected..OR get your facts right. ThisYear
  • Score: -4

7:07pm Sun 27 Jul 14

ThisYear says...

DAGASMAN wrote:
ThisYear wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.
You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so?

Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to......

Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You?

I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?
You could say that about anything, thats like saying "you want shops to sell food because you eat food, how self-obsessed"
Oh dear..
[quote][p][bold]DAGASMAN[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.[/p][/quote]You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so? Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to...... Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You? I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?[/p][/quote]You could say that about anything, thats like saying "you want shops to sell food because you eat food, how self-obsessed"[/p][/quote]Oh dear.. ThisYear
  • Score: -2

7:09pm Sun 27 Jul 14

ThisYear says...

ThisYear wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.
You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so?

Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to......

Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You?

I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?
Seems many people (10) would rather potential school governors were allowed access to schools without any vetting at all...very strange...
[quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.[/p][/quote]You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so? Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to...... Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You? I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?[/p][/quote]Seems many people (10) would rather potential school governors were allowed access to schools without any vetting at all...very strange... ThisYear
  • Score: -4

12:48pm Mon 28 Jul 14

Feminism is Dead says...

"Finnegan". Wonder if any relation to ThisYear?
"Finnegan". Wonder if any relation to ThisYear? Feminism is Dead
  • Score: 1

12:49pm Mon 28 Jul 14

DAGASMAN says...

ThisYear wrote:
ThisYear wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.
You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so?

Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to......

Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You?

I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?
Seems many people (10) would rather potential school governors were allowed access to schools without any vetting at all...very strange...
I thinks its more a case of 10 people (now 16) think you are a complete tw*t
[quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: Are judges regulated? If not, they ought to be - and any found to be as incompetent as this one should be defrocked.[/p][/quote]You feel judges should be 'regulated' because you think so? Good lordy, the delusions of grandeur virtually reeks off you...and you without a pot to...... Has this Judge been found incompetent? By whom? You? I think all school governors should be vetted and 'defrocked' if anything untoward is detected..Dont you agree?[/p][/quote]Seems many people (10) would rather potential school governors were allowed access to schools without any vetting at all...very strange...[/p][/quote]I thinks its more a case of 10 people (now 16) think you are a complete tw*t DAGASMAN
  • Score: 2

12:50pm Mon 28 Jul 14

DAGASMAN says...

Feminism is Dead wrote:
"Finnegan". Wonder if any relation to ThisYear?
Yeah, its his wife/sister/cousin
[quote][p][bold]Feminism is Dead[/bold] wrote: "Finnegan". Wonder if any relation to ThisYear?[/p][/quote]Yeah, its his wife/sister/cousin DAGASMAN
  • Score: 1

7:53pm Mon 28 Jul 14

andyman1971 says...

danger2013 wrote:
This is the correct sentence for handling stolen goods. They are not guilty of the burglaries just the handling.
The handling is a worse offence that carries a heavier sentence normally.. no handlers then the burglars wouldn't have any one to sell it too..... unless they were the burglars but police just couldn't prove it !!!!
[quote][p][bold]danger2013[/bold] wrote: This is the correct sentence for handling stolen goods. They are not guilty of the burglaries just the handling.[/p][/quote]The handling is a worse offence that carries a heavier sentence normally.. no handlers then the burglars wouldn't have any one to sell it too..... unless they were the burglars but police just couldn't prove it !!!! andyman1971
  • Score: 1

9:51pm Mon 28 Jul 14

Robin Reliant says...

Feminism is Dead wrote:
"Finnegan". Wonder if any relation to ThisYear?
Brother to Micheal who grew whiskers on his Chin again
[quote][p][bold]Feminism is Dead[/bold] wrote: "Finnegan". Wonder if any relation to ThisYear?[/p][/quote]Brother to Micheal who grew whiskers on his Chin again Robin Reliant
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree