Stop the closure of Tarpots bank branch

Angry – Jackie Govier and other councillors want Barclays to reconsider branch closure

Angry – Jackie Govier and other councillors want Barclays to reconsider branch closure

First published in News by

ANGRY councillors have started a petition to save a high street bank branch from closure.

Barclays will be closing the Great Tarpots branch in London Road, Benfleet on Friday, October 17.

Now, disgruntled residents and councillors are teaming up to save the branch after Barclays advised them to use the London Road Post Office for everyday banking.

The nearest Barclays branches in Pitsea or Hadleigh are two miles away.

Jackie Govier, councillor for St George’s ward, said: “I just can’t understand it. I’m concerned and I feel it is very shortsighted.

“A lot of elderly people use the branch and I know I’m not going to go to Pitsea and negotiate Sadlers Farm to domy banking.

“The one in Tarpots is often very busy and there have been many times when I have queued outside the door.

“Not everyone wants to do online banking and I don’t think closing the branch is the right thing to do. “ Mrs Govier and her fellow councillors will be collecting signatures calling on Barclays to reconsider the decision on Saturday afternoon in London Road.

Now concerns have been raised, if the branch does close, what will takes its place.

Mrs Govier said: “I believe in supporting local business and I like to use my local shops.

“If it does close, what would take it over? It’s in a premium spot.

“As councillors we feel it’s going to leave a hole in the street.

“We are trying to regenerate the area, but what is a high street without its bank?”

Tom Skipp, councillor for Appleton, added: “I think it is sad it is closing and I think it is a little premature.

“They are planning to close in October just as Aldi will be opening up and bringing more people to the area.

“We are appealing for them to rethink their decision.”

BARCLAYS says it will meet with councillors to explain the reasons for closing the Great Tarpots branch.

A Barclays spokesman said: “The way customers undertake their banking is changing as people increasingly use online, telephone and mobile devices. We must evolve our business to meet their needs.

“At the branch, around 65 per cent of customers now regularly use alternative branches, which is why we have taken the closure decision.

“Staff have been consulted and will be given the opportunity to work at a nearby branch “In addition to the option of online, telephone and mobile banking customers can undertake everyday transactions at the nearby Post Office in London Road, Benfleet.

“We are arranging a meeting in early August, so we can clearly set out our reasons for the closure and how we will be supporting customers who may find it more difficult to visit our other branches nearby.”

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:16am Fri 1 Aug 14

pembury53 says...

time these relics were gone, off the high street..... anyone with half a brain uses the internet.....
time these relics were gone, off the high street..... anyone with half a brain uses the internet..... pembury53
  • Score: -8

8:33am Fri 1 Aug 14

Cor Blimey says...

Well Done Barclays, come on people move with the times!

The branch is obviously not makiing enough money meaning its not viable to keep paying the overheads - would rather the branch close than the cost past onto the customer through increases in fees and charges.

Some people want to have their cake and eat it!

Move with the times Dinosaurs
Well Done Barclays, come on people move with the times! The branch is obviously not makiing enough money meaning its not viable to keep paying the overheads - would rather the branch close than the cost past onto the customer through increases in fees and charges. Some people want to have their cake and eat it! Move with the times Dinosaurs Cor Blimey
  • Score: -7

9:15am Fri 1 Aug 14

rayleigh123 says...

Cor Blimey wrote:
Well Done Barclays, come on people move with the times! The branch is obviously not makiing enough money meaning its not viable to keep paying the overheads - would rather the branch close than the cost past onto the customer through increases in fees and charges. Some people want to have their cake and eat it! Move with the times Dinosaurs
--- would rather the branch close than the cost past onto the customer through increases in fees and charges ---

Where does service fit in with your internet model ?? you cannot do everything via the one eyed giant.
.
.
.
[quote][p][bold]Cor Blimey[/bold] wrote: Well Done Barclays, come on people move with the times! The branch is obviously not makiing enough money meaning its not viable to keep paying the overheads - would rather the branch close than the cost past onto the customer through increases in fees and charges. Some people want to have their cake and eat it! Move with the times Dinosaurs[/p][/quote]--- would rather the branch close than the cost past onto the customer through increases in fees and charges --- Where does service fit in with your internet model ?? you cannot do everything via the one eyed giant. . . . rayleigh123
  • Score: 7

11:54am Fri 1 Aug 14

alarminstaller says...

To be fair Barclays needs to make money not lose money it is not part of the welfare state which so many take for granted.

If I was a business about to open where that bank is sited and needed a loan does anyone with half a brain really believe if I said to a Barclays loans adviser "no it is my intention to lose money there" can you imagine the response !
And who would then join in the press and anti bank brigade slagging off the bank for a bad investment,
Barclays are one of the few banks that needed a bale out from the Government only because they made a profit.

I think the Councillors need to look at it from a business point of view not from a service to the public point of view with silly statements about where will elderly people go which these days is a very weak argument especially as with a few yards there is Nat West and a Post Office.

I feel the best approach would be stop the political crap and mention the good things like The new store opening up in the old Do it All area plus anything else making it an attractive location to earn a profit.
To be fair Barclays needs to make money not lose money it is not part of the welfare state which so many take for granted. If I was a business about to open where that bank is sited and needed a loan does anyone with half a brain really believe if I said to a Barclays loans adviser "no it is my intention to lose money there" can you imagine the response ! And who would then join in the press and anti bank brigade slagging off the bank for a bad investment, Barclays are one of the few banks that needed a bale out from the Government only because they made a profit. I think the Councillors need to look at it from a business point of view not from a service to the public point of view with silly statements about where will elderly people go which these days is a very weak argument especially as with a few yards there is Nat West and a Post Office. I feel the best approach would be stop the political crap and mention the good things like The new store opening up in the old Do it All area plus anything else making it an attractive location to earn a profit. alarminstaller
  • Score: -2

11:56am Fri 1 Aug 14

alarminstaller says...

alarminstaller wrote:
To be fair Barclays needs to make money not lose money it is not part of the welfare state which so many take for granted.

If I was a business about to open where that bank is sited and needed a loan does anyone with half a brain really believe if I said to a Barclays loans adviser "no it is my intention to lose money there" can you imagine the response !
And who would then join in the press and anti bank brigade slagging off the bank for a bad investment,
Barclays are one of the few banks that needed a bale out from the Government only because they made a profit.

I think the Councillors need to look at it from a business point of view not from a service to the public point of view with silly statements about where will elderly people go which these days is a very weak argument especially as with a few yards there is Nat West and a Post Office.

I feel the best approach would be stop the political crap and mention the good things like The new store opening up in the old Do it All area plus anything else making it an attractive location to earn a profit.
Sorry I should have said 'DID NOT NEED A BUY OUT'
[quote][p][bold]alarminstaller[/bold] wrote: To be fair Barclays needs to make money not lose money it is not part of the welfare state which so many take for granted. If I was a business about to open where that bank is sited and needed a loan does anyone with half a brain really believe if I said to a Barclays loans adviser "no it is my intention to lose money there" can you imagine the response ! And who would then join in the press and anti bank brigade slagging off the bank for a bad investment, Barclays are one of the few banks that needed a bale out from the Government only because they made a profit. I think the Councillors need to look at it from a business point of view not from a service to the public point of view with silly statements about where will elderly people go which these days is a very weak argument especially as with a few yards there is Nat West and a Post Office. I feel the best approach would be stop the political crap and mention the good things like The new store opening up in the old Do it All area plus anything else making it an attractive location to earn a profit.[/p][/quote]Sorry I should have said 'DID NOT NEED A BUY OUT' alarminstaller
  • Score: -2

11:58am Fri 1 Aug 14

alarminstaller says...

alarminstaller wrote:
alarminstaller wrote:
To be fair Barclays needs to make money not lose money it is not part of the welfare state which so many take for granted.

If I was a business about to open where that bank is sited and needed a loan does anyone with half a brain really believe if I said to a Barclays loans adviser "no it is my intention to lose money there" can you imagine the response !
And who would then join in the press and anti bank brigade slagging off the bank for a bad investment,
Barclays are one of the few banks that needed a bale out from the Government only because they made a profit.

I think the Councillors need to look at it from a business point of view not from a service to the public point of view with silly statements about where will elderly people go which these days is a very weak argument especially as with a few yards there is Nat West and a Post Office.

I feel the best approach would be stop the political crap and mention the good things like The new store opening up in the old Do it All area plus anything else making it an attractive location to earn a profit.
Sorry I should have said 'DID NOT NEED A BUY OUT'
My Predictive spelling can be a pain Barclays did not need a government Bale out!
[quote][p][bold]alarminstaller[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alarminstaller[/bold] wrote: To be fair Barclays needs to make money not lose money it is not part of the welfare state which so many take for granted. If I was a business about to open where that bank is sited and needed a loan does anyone with half a brain really believe if I said to a Barclays loans adviser "no it is my intention to lose money there" can you imagine the response ! And who would then join in the press and anti bank brigade slagging off the bank for a bad investment, Barclays are one of the few banks that needed a bale out from the Government only because they made a profit. I think the Councillors need to look at it from a business point of view not from a service to the public point of view with silly statements about where will elderly people go which these days is a very weak argument especially as with a few yards there is Nat West and a Post Office. I feel the best approach would be stop the political crap and mention the good things like The new store opening up in the old Do it All area plus anything else making it an attractive location to earn a profit.[/p][/quote]Sorry I should have said 'DID NOT NEED A BUY OUT'[/p][/quote]My Predictive spelling can be a pain Barclays did not need a government Bale out! alarminstaller
  • Score: -1

12:05pm Fri 1 Aug 14

John Right says...

Get Rid...
Get Rid... John Right
  • Score: 1

12:08pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Keptquiettillnow says...

More poundshops and take aways then.
More poundshops and take aways then. Keptquiettillnow
  • Score: 2

12:30pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Controversial1 says...

"Angry Councillors" - they look the happiest bunch of angry folk I have ever seen. Imagine what they look like when they are really p155ed off!
"Angry Councillors" - they look the happiest bunch of angry folk I have ever seen. Imagine what they look like when they are really p155ed off! Controversial1
  • Score: 1

12:38pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Ian P says...

Everyone affected should transfer their accounts to Nat West. This will make it less likely that Nat West will close and will mean loss of business for Barclay's. You can bet your bottom dollar, while Barclay's will have built in the loss of a certain percentage of accounts to their financial plans, they will have assumed a reasonable percentage will simply transfer their accounts to another branch. Otherwise why are they redeploying all their staff currently at the Tarpots Branch and not making some redundant?
Everyone affected should transfer their accounts to Nat West. This will make it less likely that Nat West will close and will mean loss of business for Barclay's. You can bet your bottom dollar, while Barclay's will have built in the loss of a certain percentage of accounts to their financial plans, they will have assumed a reasonable percentage will simply transfer their accounts to another branch. Otherwise why are they redeploying all their staff currently at the Tarpots Branch and not making some redundant? Ian P
  • Score: 2

12:48pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Controversial1 says...

Ian P wrote:
Everyone affected should transfer their accounts to Nat West. This will make it less likely that Nat West will close and will mean loss of business for Barclay's. You can bet your bottom dollar, while Barclay's will have built in the loss of a certain percentage of accounts to their financial plans, they will have assumed a reasonable percentage will simply transfer their accounts to another branch. Otherwise why are they redeploying all their staff currently at the Tarpots Branch and not making some redundant?
in all fairness the "Everyone affected" are the seven "angry" people in the photo (still laughing to myself over how angry they are!). If they joined in your revolution and transferred to Natwest, Barclays would not give a t055. I do wonder how angry they would then become!
[quote][p][bold]Ian P[/bold] wrote: Everyone affected should transfer their accounts to Nat West. This will make it less likely that Nat West will close and will mean loss of business for Barclay's. You can bet your bottom dollar, while Barclay's will have built in the loss of a certain percentage of accounts to their financial plans, they will have assumed a reasonable percentage will simply transfer their accounts to another branch. Otherwise why are they redeploying all their staff currently at the Tarpots Branch and not making some redundant?[/p][/quote]in all fairness the "Everyone affected" are the seven "angry" people in the photo (still laughing to myself over how angry they are!). If they joined in your revolution and transferred to Natwest, Barclays would not give a t055. I do wonder how angry they would then become! Controversial1
  • Score: 1

2:14pm Fri 1 Aug 14

rayleigh123 says...

alarminstaller wrote:
alarminstaller wrote:
alarminstaller wrote: To be fair Barclays needs to make money not lose money it is not part of the welfare state which so many take for granted. If I was a business about to open where that bank is sited and needed a loan does anyone with half a brain really believe if I said to a Barclays loans adviser "no it is my intention to lose money there" can you imagine the response ! And who would then join in the press and anti bank brigade slagging off the bank for a bad investment, Barclays are one of the few banks that needed a bale out from the Government only because they made a profit. I think the Councillors need to look at it from a business point of view not from a service to the public point of view with silly statements about where will elderly people go which these days is a very weak argument especially as with a few yards there is Nat West and a Post Office. I feel the best approach would be stop the political crap and mention the good things like The new store opening up in the old Do it All area plus anything else making it an attractive location to earn a profit.
Sorry I should have said 'DID NOT NEED A BUY OUT'
My Predictive spelling can be a pain Barclays did not need a government Bale out!
arminstaller wrote:

To be fair Barclays needs to make money not lose money it is not part of the welfare state which so many take for granted.

Barclays' first-quarter profits = £1.69bn, thats 6.76 BILLION POUNDS PROFIT per year - I think from a service level they could keep the branch open.


.
[quote][p][bold]alarminstaller[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alarminstaller[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alarminstaller[/bold] wrote: To be fair Barclays needs to make money not lose money it is not part of the welfare state which so many take for granted. If I was a business about to open where that bank is sited and needed a loan does anyone with half a brain really believe if I said to a Barclays loans adviser "no it is my intention to lose money there" can you imagine the response ! And who would then join in the press and anti bank brigade slagging off the bank for a bad investment, Barclays are one of the few banks that needed a bale out from the Government only because they made a profit. I think the Councillors need to look at it from a business point of view not from a service to the public point of view with silly statements about where will elderly people go which these days is a very weak argument especially as with a few yards there is Nat West and a Post Office. I feel the best approach would be stop the political crap and mention the good things like The new store opening up in the old Do it All area plus anything else making it an attractive location to earn a profit.[/p][/quote]Sorry I should have said 'DID NOT NEED A BUY OUT'[/p][/quote]My Predictive spelling can be a pain Barclays did not need a government Bale out![/p][/quote]arminstaller wrote: To be fair Barclays needs to make money not lose money it is not part of the welfare state which so many take for granted. Barclays' first-quarter profits = £1.69bn, thats 6.76 BILLION POUNDS PROFIT per year - I think from a service level they could keep the branch open. . rayleigh123
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree