Fire-hit Alexandra Yacht Club 'was due to be demolished in July'

Fire-hit yacht club 'was due to be demolished in July'

Fire-hit yacht club 'was due to be demolished in July'

First published in News by

A HISTORIC yacht club which burnt down in a dramatic inferno was due to be demolished last month.

More than 30 firefighters spent about two hours tackling the blaze at Alexandra Yacht Club, on Southend’s cliffs, which tore through the wooden structure, causing its collapse.

All that is left of the building is its chimney, which was being held in place by metal supports.

The 130-year-old structure, which has been described as one of Southend’s bestknown landmarks, was found to be subsiding and was condemned for demolition in April.

The club’s commodore said Southend Council, which owns the building and leases it back to the club, was due to demolish the building in July, but pushed it back to September so it wouldn’t look unsightly for tourists.

Andy Solkhon, commodore of Alexandra Yacht Club, said: “If they had done it when they said, they wouldn’t have had this happen.”

Independent Ron Woodley, leader of Southend Council, said he did not know when the building was set to be demolished, but expected it to be “fairly imminent”.

He said: “I don’t know if it will be covered by insurance as it was due for demolition.

“I feel sad it has gone in this sort of way and it’s sad to see two teenagers have been arrested for an act of stupidity that will haunt them for the rest of their lives.”

The fire was put out by about 1.45am on Sunday, but crews remained on site into Sunday evening checking for hot spots, ensuring it didn’t reignite.

Mr Solkhon said: “A lot of people were saddened to see what’s happened to it.

“The way we have to look at it is that it has come down in one hit rather than seeing week after week bits and pieces coming off it.

“At the end of the day, we have to say it’s done its time, it’s 132 years old and it’s had its day, but it’s a sad day for the club.”

The club, which is now operating out of the nearby Naval and Military Club, in Royal Terrace, fears it could close for good as it can’t afford to build its own base and Southend Council won’t fund one.

Mr Solkhon claims the council wanted the club out of the way to make way for an £850,000 lagoon, which he believes will block access to the club’s jetty.

Two teenage boys arrested on suspicion of arson have been bailed pending further inquiries.

The boys, aged 16 and 17 and both from Westcliff, were arrested in Westcliff at about 3am on Sunday.

They have been bailed until September 12.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:44am Wed 27 Aug 14

sesibollox says...

Now I wonder if the demolition company had been paid in any way for this job, yet seem to have not met their side of the deal, was access to the building unhindered, due to demolition preparation ?
Now I wonder if the demolition company had been paid in any way for this job, yet seem to have not met their side of the deal, was access to the building unhindered, due to demolition preparation ? sesibollox
  • Score: 2

9:44am Wed 27 Aug 14

andyman1971 says...

Insurance job springs to mind... look how much money has been saved trying to employ a demolition company
Insurance job springs to mind... look how much money has been saved trying to employ a demolition company andyman1971
  • Score: -4
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree