Level crossing causing "bedlam" say commuters

IRATE residents and drivers in Stanford-le-Hope say barriers at the train station are being left down for half-an-hour at a time, causing “bedlam” in the mornings.
 

The Echo has been contacted by several people about delays at the level crossing, in London Road, which they say have been occurring since before Christmas.
 

Stanford-le-Hope resident Elaine Hobson missed her train last Thursday because the barrier was down from 8.01am to 8.30am, they were down for a similar period the day before too.
 

She said: “This has been happening on and off for about three months.
 

“Apparently the problem is caused when a train terminates at the station.
 

“The barriers used to go back up straight away so traffic could go through, but whoever is controlling them now just leaves them down until the train is gone.
 

“People are missing two or three trains a day, parents are complaining as they are late taking their children to school, taxi firms are also really annoyed.
 

“The security guards in the train station are getting threatened every week by irate drivers, its absolute bedlam.”
 

A coach driver, who did not want to be named, said he had been caught at the gates several times and it had made the children he was taking to school late.
 

He said: “Everyone is really annoyed about this, it’s causing such long queues in the morning.
 

“I was told Network Rail had a meeting about this with staff before Christmas, and things did improve, but obviously there was less traffic over Christmas, but now it’s gone back to the way it was before.
 

”The other day I queued for about half-an-hour then the barriers came up, let some of the traffic through, and they were back down again for another train before I could get there.”
 

A spokesman for Network Rail said it would look into residents’ complaints.
 

She said: “We are aware of the need to keep traffic flowing as much as possible and every level crossing is operated to balance this with running a safe and efficient railway.
 

"We leave barriers down for the minimum amount of time to achieve this and avoid unnecessary delays to motorists and pedestrians, but will look into the issues raised by residents.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:32pm Thu 17 Jan 13

I-say-you-say says...

The problem has resulted not only by the gates being left down so long but also because of the increase in traffic coming through Stanford rather than having to fight their way through the bedlam caused by the roadworks on the manorway roundabout.

Then of course people get irate and stressed and start blocking exits or pulling out halfway across the road stopping traffic going the other way causing more irritation and more traffic. It's beyond a joke!

As for the rail service listening to the complaints, they haven't so far - I know of several people who have complained since this started and they have done nothing! So why would they start now?
The problem has resulted not only by the gates being left down so long but also because of the increase in traffic coming through Stanford rather than having to fight their way through the bedlam caused by the roadworks on the manorway roundabout. Then of course people get irate and stressed and start blocking exits or pulling out halfway across the road stopping traffic going the other way causing more irritation and more traffic. It's beyond a joke! As for the rail service listening to the complaints, they haven't so far - I know of several people who have complained since this started and they have done nothing! So why would they start now? I-say-you-say

2:52pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Carnabackable says...

The stay down for one simple reason.SAFETY
When will the "must get to now brigade" realise, they MUST set out on their journey earlier, to accommodate the delay, for them wishing to cross the railway.
The railway has right of way folks, road users learn to remember that simple yet golden rule....
The stay down for one simple reason.SAFETY When will the "must get to now brigade" realise, they MUST set out on their journey earlier, to accommodate the delay, for them wishing to cross the railway. The railway has right of way folks, road users learn to remember that simple yet golden rule.... Carnabackable

4:03pm Thu 17 Jan 13

I-say-you-say says...

Carnabackable wrote:
The stay down for one simple reason.SAFETY When will the "must get to now brigade" realise, they MUST set out on their journey earlier, to accommodate the delay, for them wishing to cross the railway. The railway has right of way folks, road users learn to remember that simple yet golden rule....
Half hour wait between 2 seperate trains is beyond your "safety" reasoning.

It is nothing to do with the "get to now brigade" either as this happens throughout the morning whether it is earlier or later. Do you expect people to leave at 6am to arrive at work for 6.30am but don't actually start at 9am just to avoid the laziness of the rail company?

I'd like to see you have to deal with the battle of spending over half an hour trying to get out of the end of the road you live down because of this!

Unless you know, do not accuse!
[quote][p][bold]Carnabackable[/bold] wrote: The stay down for one simple reason.SAFETY When will the "must get to now brigade" realise, they MUST set out on their journey earlier, to accommodate the delay, for them wishing to cross the railway. The railway has right of way folks, road users learn to remember that simple yet golden rule....[/p][/quote]Half hour wait between 2 seperate trains is beyond your "safety" reasoning. It is nothing to do with the "get to now brigade" either as this happens throughout the morning whether it is earlier or later. Do you expect people to leave at 6am to arrive at work for 6.30am but don't actually start at 9am just to avoid the laziness of the rail company? I'd like to see you have to deal with the battle of spending over half an hour trying to get out of the end of the road you live down because of this! Unless you know, do not accuse! I-say-you-say

7:23pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Devils Advocate says...

I-say-you-say wrote:
Carnabackable wrote:
The stay down for one simple reason.SAFETY When will the "must get to now brigade" realise, they MUST set out on their journey earlier, to accommodate the delay, for them wishing to cross the railway. The railway has right of way folks, road users learn to remember that simple yet golden rule....
Half hour wait between 2 seperate trains is beyond your "safety" reasoning.

It is nothing to do with the "get to now brigade" either as this happens throughout the morning whether it is earlier or later. Do you expect people to leave at 6am to arrive at work for 6.30am but don't actually start at 9am just to avoid the laziness of the rail company?

I'd like to see you have to deal with the battle of spending over half an hour trying to get out of the end of the road you live down because of this!

Unless you know, do not accuse!
You actually know that it is caused by laziness?
You obviously wouldn't accuse unless you knew so I suppose you do, but I seem to remember something about safety being involved.
Also, the times you quote lead me to believe your journey is half an hour and your starting time is nine am. Thirty minutes travelling you say so leaving at six means you expect a two and a half hour delay?
[quote][p][bold]I-say-you-say[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Carnabackable[/bold] wrote: The stay down for one simple reason.SAFETY When will the "must get to now brigade" realise, they MUST set out on their journey earlier, to accommodate the delay, for them wishing to cross the railway. The railway has right of way folks, road users learn to remember that simple yet golden rule....[/p][/quote]Half hour wait between 2 seperate trains is beyond your "safety" reasoning. It is nothing to do with the "get to now brigade" either as this happens throughout the morning whether it is earlier or later. Do you expect people to leave at 6am to arrive at work for 6.30am but don't actually start at 9am just to avoid the laziness of the rail company? I'd like to see you have to deal with the battle of spending over half an hour trying to get out of the end of the road you live down because of this! Unless you know, do not accuse![/p][/quote]You actually know that it is caused by laziness? You obviously wouldn't accuse unless you knew so I suppose you do, but I seem to remember something about safety being involved. Also, the times you quote lead me to believe your journey is half an hour and your starting time is nine am. Thirty minutes travelling you say so leaving at six means you expect a two and a half hour delay? Devils Advocate

10:51pm Thu 17 Jan 13

SaveOurStanford says...

Lazy Mothers who want to Taxi there Prince & Princess round in there New 4x4 whilst doing there make up and on there iplops want to drop em of at the school doors and go shopping at Laky and repeat the same again. Get a Frickin life The Railway and its crossing has been there for almost 100 years and it wont stop for you. Get some exsersise and walk or go round ! Dont even get me started on so called catchment areas if you want to live 7+ miles away from the chosen school who's fault is that ?
Lazy Mothers who want to Taxi there Prince & Princess round in there New 4x4 whilst doing there make up and on there iplops want to drop em of at the school doors and go shopping at Laky and repeat the same again. Get a Frickin life The Railway and its crossing has been there for almost 100 years and it wont stop for you. Get some exsersise and walk or go round ! Dont even get me started on so called catchment areas if you want to live 7+ miles away from the chosen school who's fault is that ? SaveOurStanford

9:52am Fri 18 Jan 13

I-say-you-say says...

Yes I do know it's caused by laziness. This has been going on since before Christmas and I know of several people - including myself who have complained repeatedly to the rail people but they have been too lazy to do anything about it!

SaveourStanford - what relevance does your comment have? I'm confused. Why are you picking on the school run parents? There has never been a problem before until this issue with the gates started.

Now come on people, what's with the over-reactions? We're not asking for the railway to stop, that is clearly a ridiculous suggestion. But what we are asking for it to work with the road users the way it did before - i.e. not leaving 20 mins between trains. This is a new problem that is easily resolved if only the rail company would pull their fingers out instead of giving the various excuses they have.
Yes I do know it's caused by laziness. This has been going on since before Christmas and I know of several people - including myself who have complained repeatedly to the rail people but they have been too lazy to do anything about it! SaveourStanford - what relevance does your comment have? I'm confused. Why are you picking on the school run parents? There has never been a problem before until this issue with the gates started. Now come on people, what's with the over-reactions? We're not asking for the railway to stop, that is clearly a ridiculous suggestion. But what we are asking for it to work with the road users the way it did before - i.e. not leaving 20 mins between trains. This is a new problem that is easily resolved if only the rail company would pull their fingers out instead of giving the various excuses they have. I-say-you-say

11:04am Fri 18 Jan 13

Carnabackable says...

Leave it down for an hour, they'll soon get the message that the railway has right of way....
Leave it down for an hour, they'll soon get the message that the railway has right of way.... Carnabackable

3:12pm Fri 18 Jan 13

I-say-you-say says...

Carnabackable wrote:
Leave it down for an hour, they'll soon get the message that the railway has right of way....
What a helpful comment! Really, what's the point in that - what are you....12 years old?

We know the railway has right of way - I certainly wouldn't like to pick a fight with a train - we are not asking them to stop, just work with the residents into getting things back to the way they were before they kept the gates down for an unreasonable amount of time.
[quote][p][bold]Carnabackable[/bold] wrote: Leave it down for an hour, they'll soon get the message that the railway has right of way....[/p][/quote]What a helpful comment! Really, what's the point in that - what are you....12 years old? We know the railway has right of way - I certainly wouldn't like to pick a fight with a train - we are not asking them to stop, just work with the residents into getting things back to the way they were before they kept the gates down for an unreasonable amount of time. I-say-you-say

3:34pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Carnabackable says...

I-say-you-say wrote:
Carnabackable wrote:
Leave it down for an hour, they'll soon get the message that the railway has right of way....
What a helpful comment! Really, what's the point in that - what are you....12 years old?

We know the railway has right of way - I certainly wouldn't like to pick a fight with a train - we are not asking them to stop, just work with the residents into getting things back to the way they were before they kept the gates down for an unreasonable amount of time.
The railway should dispense with this level crossing, and fence it off, after all it just causes grief, from the numpty road users, remember the railway own the land, and could easily charge a toll for vehicles, crossing the line.
So shut the fook up, and realise who's got priority here.
[quote][p][bold]I-say-you-say[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Carnabackable[/bold] wrote: Leave it down for an hour, they'll soon get the message that the railway has right of way....[/p][/quote]What a helpful comment! Really, what's the point in that - what are you....12 years old? We know the railway has right of way - I certainly wouldn't like to pick a fight with a train - we are not asking them to stop, just work with the residents into getting things back to the way they were before they kept the gates down for an unreasonable amount of time.[/p][/quote]The railway should dispense with this level crossing, and fence it off, after all it just causes grief, from the numpty road users, remember the railway own the land, and could easily charge a toll for vehicles, crossing the line. So shut the fook up, and realise who's got priority here. Carnabackable

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree