VIDEO: Bungalow destroyed in Canvey blaze

7:20am Wednesday 16th January 2013

By David Trayner

A BUNGALOW has been destroyed following a fire in Rose Road, Canvey.

More than 30 firefighters were called to the scene to deal with the blaze which was sparked on Tuesday evening.

By 7.45pm fire chiefs reported the timber framed home had been destroyed.

A man in his 60s discovered the fire and managed to escape unharmed.

Neighbours said contractors from BTS had been repairing electricity cables in the street when the fire started.

Plumes of smoke have been seen coming from the property.

Year 11 Castle View student Bradley Higgins 16, of Downham Road, Canvey, saw the blaze take hold and started taking pictures on his phone.

He said: "It is just outside where we live and its quite shocking to see all the fire engines.

"I feel sorry for the people as the whole house is nearly gone."

Fire crews remain on site to deal with the aftermath of the blaze.

An exclusion zone was set up around the property after gas cylinders were found close to the bungalow.

It is thought engineers are also trying to repair a fractured gas main.

Firefighters at the scene say there is no risk of the fire spreading to nearby properties and neighbours have not been evacuated.

Watch the video by Echo reader Bradley Higgins here: 

Back

© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group

Echo: Site Logo http://www.echo-news.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.echo-news.co.uk/trade_directory/