Veteran councillor deselected by Tories

A VETERAN county councillor will not be up for re-election in May after being ousted as a candidate by the Tory party.

Irish Pummell, who has represented Wickford on Essex County Council for nearly 30 years, was deselected in favour of former Basildon Borough Council Malcolm Buckley, who is now its cabinet member for regeneration.

The decision has led to a bitter spat within the Conservatives with some members branding it an outrage the stalwart was rejected after 40 years in the party.

A serving Basildon Tory councillor who refused to be named said: “Iris Pummell has been a firm face for our party in Wickford for three decades and is a popular county councillor, this is no way to repay her just to make way for someone who wants to further their political career.”

Mrs Pummell said: “To be rejected now, after long years of service is hurtful."

Mr Buckley said: “By serving Wickford at both borough and county level I would be able to better represent residents."

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:16am Thu 31 Jan 13

Cosmo Spring says...

is it a safe seat for Buckley?
is it a safe seat for Buckley? Cosmo Spring
  • Score: 0

3:58pm Fri 1 Feb 13

shallotman says...

If local residents feel that strong about it. Vote in the next Council Election, instead of staying at home.
If local residents feel that strong about it. Vote in the next Council Election, instead of staying at home. shallotman
  • Score: 0

4:05pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Cosmo Spring says...

shallotman wrote:
If local residents feel that strong about it. Vote in the next Council Election, instead of staying at home.
they'll want to vote in a tory regardless, can't have any of that nasty housing development going on north of the A127 after all.....
[quote][p][bold]shallotman[/bold] wrote: If local residents feel that strong about it. Vote in the next Council Election, instead of staying at home.[/p][/quote]they'll want to vote in a tory regardless, can't have any of that nasty housing development going on north of the A127 after all..... Cosmo Spring
  • Score: 0

4:36pm Fri 1 Feb 13

notinwestcliffanymore says...

Cosmo Spring wrote:
shallotman wrote: If local residents feel that strong about it. Vote in the next Council Election, instead of staying at home.
they'll want to vote in a tory regardless, can't have any of that nasty housing development going on north of the A127 after all.....
they had some north of the 127 but tony ball cleared it..
[quote][p][bold]Cosmo Spring[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shallotman[/bold] wrote: If local residents feel that strong about it. Vote in the next Council Election, instead of staying at home.[/p][/quote]they'll want to vote in a tory regardless, can't have any of that nasty housing development going on north of the A127 after all.....[/p][/quote]they had some north of the 127 but tony ball cleared it.. notinwestcliffanymore
  • Score: 0

5:38pm Fri 1 Feb 13

TheWizzard says...

notinwestcliffanymor
e
wrote:
Cosmo Spring wrote:
shallotman wrote: If local residents feel that strong about it. Vote in the next Council Election, instead of staying at home.
they'll want to vote in a tory regardless, can't have any of that nasty housing development going on north of the A127 after all.....
they had some north of the 127 but tony ball cleared it..
Not very far though
[quote][p][bold]notinwestcliffanymor e[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cosmo Spring[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shallotman[/bold] wrote: If local residents feel that strong about it. Vote in the next Council Election, instead of staying at home.[/p][/quote]they'll want to vote in a tory regardless, can't have any of that nasty housing development going on north of the A127 after all.....[/p][/quote]they had some north of the 127 but tony ball cleared it..[/p][/quote]Not very far though TheWizzard
  • Score: 0

7:13pm Fri 1 Feb 13

runwellian says...

Jon Austin ... you need to learn how to spell folk's names correctly .... shame on you!
Jon Austin ... you need to learn how to spell folk's names correctly .... shame on you! runwellian
  • Score: 0

7:33pm Fri 1 Feb 13

TheWizzard says...

Mr Buckley said: “By serving Wickford at both borough and county level I would be able to better represent residents.

And another £11,000+ in allowances
Mr Buckley said: “By serving Wickford at both borough and county level I would be able to better represent residents. And another £11,000+ in allowances TheWizzard
  • Score: 0

4:21pm Sun 3 Feb 13

jolllyboy says...

This is narrowing choice. It should be left to the voters not a committee to decide who to vote in. Stand as an independent lady. I have noticed of late that women are being ousted by the tories - what is going on? jobs for the boys?
This is narrowing choice. It should be left to the voters not a committee to decide who to vote in. Stand as an independent lady. I have noticed of late that women are being ousted by the tories - what is going on? jobs for the boys? jolllyboy
  • Score: 0

5:12pm Tue 5 Feb 13

gumbley says...

It's not only the Tories who seem to be in turmoil. What with Labour resignations, LibDem lies one wonders what the Political Parties are coming to?
It's not only the Tories who seem to be in turmoil. What with Labour resignations, LibDem lies one wonders what the Political Parties are coming to? gumbley
  • Score: 0

8:06pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Bootiful says...

It's high time that the practice of being on both district and county council was banned. As it is it's just a way for certain councillors to get themselves onto two gravy trains at once.
It's high time that the practice of being on both district and county council was banned. As it is it's just a way for certain councillors to get themselves onto two gravy trains at once. Bootiful
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree