Events to honour the Armed Forces

Echo: Events to honour the Armed Forces Events to honour the Armed Forces

A PACKED programme of events gets under way this weekend to honour the Armed Forces.

Armed Forces Day was started in 2009 to replace Veterans’ Day and is now held in late June to coincide with the first investiture ceremony for the Victoria Cross, the highest military gallantry decoration in British Armed Forces.

Last Saturday’s South Essex Armed Forces Day event, in Billericay was the largest military celebration in the county for 30 years.

This weekend, events will be held across the region on the day itself, Saturday, with parades on Canvey and in Southend, with the latter event including an open-air service in the High Street.

Southend Council raised the Armed Forces Day flag in a ceremony on Monday and mayor Chris Walker wants the town to turn out in force to support the weekend’s celebrations.

He said: “The words on the flag are ‘give your support’, that is what I hope everyone else will do.

“We all respect the Forces and the good job they do. It has special meaning to me as my mace carrier and chauffeur is a former serviceman.

I respect him and support him every day and he does the same for me.”

Former Northern Irish Militia veteran Robert McAllister, 55, who now lives in Westcliff, is looking forward to the events.

He said: “It’s a great day for the town, for local people, and for former servicemen and women to wear their uniformwith pride.

“Many people don’t know that others have served and this is their time to show it, much like the reserve forces do with their uniform day.”

Free c2c offer for military and veterans

Train operator c2c is offering free travel this weekend for current and former military personnel taking part in Armed Forces Day events.

Community events will be taking place along the c2c line, and the company’s fleet performance engineer Justin Hope, who spent ten years in the Royal Navy, said: “I’m pleased that c2c is getting behind Armed Forces Day and offering free travel.

“These local community events will allow people to show their support for the Armed Forces and it also promises to be a great day out for all the family.”

To qualify for free travel, current or former military personnel need to show their Defence Discount Service card, Veteran Rewards For Forces card, or wear military uniform.

SATURDAY

SOUTHEND HIGH STREET

From 10am

  •  Parade and open-air service
  •  Military vehicles
  •  Music stages with performances
  • throughout the day and into the
  • evening
  •  Charities and associations displaying
  • and collecting

CANVEY TOWN CENTRE

From 10.30am

  • Town centre procession from Castle View School car park to the Paddocks 

SUNDAY

SOUTHEND – CITY BEACH

1pm-6pm

  •  Beach Tag Rugby Competition
  •  Veteran, cadets and charity stalls
  •  Military vehicles
  •  Music performances and entertainment through the day
  •  Flypasts

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:18am Fri 27 Jun 14

Jack222 says...

Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships

Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed.
Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed. Jack222
  • Score: -22

11:33am Fri 27 Jun 14

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Jack222 wrote:
Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships

Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed.
Too right, the Barleylands was just a bunch of wannabe soldiers, surplus vehicles and expensive entry fees, a money grabbing exercise, from the popularity of the veterans, who didnt get an invite, even the British Legion shunned it, as it was an obvious sham.
[quote][p][bold]Jack222[/bold] wrote: Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed.[/p][/quote]Too right, the Barleylands was just a bunch of wannabe soldiers, surplus vehicles and expensive entry fees, a money grabbing exercise, from the popularity of the veterans, who didnt get an invite, even the British Legion shunned it, as it was an obvious sham. Nowthatsworthknowing
  • Score: -6

12:23pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Bosniavet says...

Jack222 wrote:
Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships

Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed.
Remembrance Day is to pay respect to those who have made the Ultimate Sacrifice, whilst Armed Forces Day is to pay tribute to all those of us who have or continue to serve in HM Armed Forces.
I take it you have the same attitude to Trafalgar Day, Airborne Forces Day & Battle of Britain Day as well.
Personally, I will be attending the events in Southend tomorrow along with many other veterans.
[quote][p][bold]Jack222[/bold] wrote: Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed.[/p][/quote]Remembrance Day is to pay respect to those who have made the Ultimate Sacrifice, whilst Armed Forces Day is to pay tribute to all those of us who have or continue to serve in HM Armed Forces. I take it you have the same attitude to Trafalgar Day, Airborne Forces Day & Battle of Britain Day as well. Personally, I will be attending the events in Southend tomorrow along with many other veterans. Bosniavet
  • Score: 33

12:58pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Bosniavet wrote:
Jack222 wrote:
Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships

Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed.
Remembrance Day is to pay respect to those who have made the Ultimate Sacrifice, whilst Armed Forces Day is to pay tribute to all those of us who have or continue to serve in HM Armed Forces.
I take it you have the same attitude to Trafalgar Day, Airborne Forces Day & Battle of Britain Day as well.
Personally, I will be attending the events in Southend tomorrow along with many other veterans.
You missed out April Fools day...
[quote][p][bold]Bosniavet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jack222[/bold] wrote: Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed.[/p][/quote]Remembrance Day is to pay respect to those who have made the Ultimate Sacrifice, whilst Armed Forces Day is to pay tribute to all those of us who have or continue to serve in HM Armed Forces. I take it you have the same attitude to Trafalgar Day, Airborne Forces Day & Battle of Britain Day as well. Personally, I will be attending the events in Southend tomorrow along with many other veterans.[/p][/quote]You missed out April Fools day... Nowthatsworthknowing
  • Score: -14

3:36pm Fri 27 Jun 14

roger moore says...

does anyone know what aircraft are due to do a flypast on sunday?
does anyone know what aircraft are due to do a flypast on sunday? roger moore
  • Score: 1

6:27pm Fri 27 Jun 14

SheldonK says...

roger moore wrote:
does anyone know what aircraft are due to do a flypast on sunday?
Only the one, Dakota @ 14:00 on Sunday across the Pier. Sea King rescue if not called elsewhere.
[quote][p][bold]roger moore[/bold] wrote: does anyone know what aircraft are due to do a flypast on sunday?[/p][/quote]Only the one, Dakota @ 14:00 on Sunday across the Pier. Sea King rescue if not called elsewhere. SheldonK
  • Score: 4

7:02pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Joe Clark says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Jack222 wrote:
Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships

Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed.
Too right, the Barleylands was just a bunch of wannabe soldiers, surplus vehicles and expensive entry fees, a money grabbing exercise, from the popularity of the veterans, who didnt get an invite, even the British Legion shunned it, as it was an obvious sham.
Southend's is totally free, clearly you lack any respect for those that gave their lives so that you can live in the freedom that you do, the freedom that permits you to make comments such as you have.

Shame on you.
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jack222[/bold] wrote: Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed.[/p][/quote]Too right, the Barleylands was just a bunch of wannabe soldiers, surplus vehicles and expensive entry fees, a money grabbing exercise, from the popularity of the veterans, who didnt get an invite, even the British Legion shunned it, as it was an obvious sham.[/p][/quote]Southend's is totally free, clearly you lack any respect for those that gave their lives so that you can live in the freedom that you do, the freedom that permits you to make comments such as you have. Shame on you. Joe Clark
  • Score: 13

7:04pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Joe Clark says...

SheldonK wrote:
roger moore wrote:
does anyone know what aircraft are due to do a flypast on sunday?
Only the one, Dakota @ 14:00 on Sunday across the Pier. Sea King rescue if not called elsewhere.
Any time (if not on service) for the Sea King?
[quote][p][bold]SheldonK[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]roger moore[/bold] wrote: does anyone know what aircraft are due to do a flypast on sunday?[/p][/quote]Only the one, Dakota @ 14:00 on Sunday across the Pier. Sea King rescue if not called elsewhere.[/p][/quote]Any time (if not on service) for the Sea King? Joe Clark
  • Score: 0

12:02am Sat 28 Jun 14

SheldonK says...

Joe Clark wrote:
SheldonK wrote:
roger moore wrote:
does anyone know what aircraft are due to do a flypast on sunday?
Only the one, Dakota @ 14:00 on Sunday across the Pier. Sea King rescue if not called elsewhere.
Any time (if not on service) for the Sea King?
When we tendered and received confirmation for the flypast back in January, we requested afternoon. Not sure now SBC have got hold of it as no update anywhere. Sorry...
[quote][p][bold]Joe Clark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SheldonK[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]roger moore[/bold] wrote: does anyone know what aircraft are due to do a flypast on sunday?[/p][/quote]Only the one, Dakota @ 14:00 on Sunday across the Pier. Sea King rescue if not called elsewhere.[/p][/quote]Any time (if not on service) for the Sea King?[/p][/quote]When we tendered and received confirmation for the flypast back in January, we requested afternoon. Not sure now SBC have got hold of it as no update anywhere. Sorry... SheldonK
  • Score: 1

8:52am Sat 28 Jun 14

John Right says...

Good back slapping party, wont be going myself
Good back slapping party, wont be going myself John Right
  • Score: -7

10:21am Sun 29 Jun 14

Bosniavet says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
Bosniavet wrote:
Jack222 wrote:
Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships

Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed.
Remembrance Day is to pay respect to those who have made the Ultimate Sacrifice, whilst Armed Forces Day is to pay tribute to all those of us who have or continue to serve in HM Armed Forces.
I take it you have the same attitude to Trafalgar Day, Airborne Forces Day & Battle of Britain Day as well.
Personally, I will be attending the events in Southend tomorrow along with many other veterans.
You missed out April Fools day...
No need to be insulting - just remember that it is thanks to those who have & continue to serve in HM Forces that you have the freedom to make such disparaging comments.
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bosniavet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jack222[/bold] wrote: Not interested. Such a day reminds me of tinpot dictatorships Remembrance Day is the right time and is all that is needed.[/p][/quote]Remembrance Day is to pay respect to those who have made the Ultimate Sacrifice, whilst Armed Forces Day is to pay tribute to all those of us who have or continue to serve in HM Armed Forces. I take it you have the same attitude to Trafalgar Day, Airborne Forces Day & Battle of Britain Day as well. Personally, I will be attending the events in Southend tomorrow along with many other veterans.[/p][/quote]You missed out April Fools day...[/p][/quote]No need to be insulting - just remember that it is thanks to those who have & continue to serve in HM Forces that you have the freedom to make such disparaging comments. Bosniavet
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree